Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adwcleaner_7.0.6.0.exe is not a genuine 32-bit program for Vista machine

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jrl_2018

jrl_2018

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

Hi, friends:

I was trying to clear virus and adwere on Vista machine especially the Windows Support Alert Tech Support Scam  virus. After I used RKill to stop all the suspicious processes then MBAM to catch a number of virus and sent them into quarantine, I downloaded adwcleaner_7.0.5.0.exe and started running it. However, I was given the message " You are using an outdated version!". The machine directed me to the downloaded site to download adwcleaner_7.0.6.0.exe, which I understand is the newest version. After downloading this new one I started to runit. However, the program refused to go ahead by placing the message;" This is not a genuine 32-bit program". Anybody can help me to solve this problem.

jrl

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2018 - 08:37 PM.
Moved from Vista to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

Is this the download site you used?

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Try downloading the program again, it may have been a corrupted download. If you get the same error do you also get the error trying to install any other program?

#3 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

AdwCleaner is not compatible with Windows XP and Vista. That is why you are receiving the error. It is compatible with Windows 7 and newer.
Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#4 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:44 PM

Additionally, if you are having trouble removing the virus, you can post in the Am I Infected or Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forums, where someone will help you out with the virus removal.

Edited by iMacg3, 29 December 2017 - 09:47 PM.

Regards, iMacg3

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:59 AM

AdwCleaner is not compatible with Windows XP and Vista. That is why you are receiving the error. It is compatible with Windows 7 and newer.

Are you absolutely sure about that?  It had been ok to use on Windows Vista, or so I thought I read that not too many weeks ago, and have been using AdwCleaner on Windows Vista.  I have recently run version 7.0.5, and the only problem I notice is that a message comes up saying the version is not up to date, although the program will run anyway.  It finds no threats or infections.  

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,032 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

Hi,

Make sure you download Adwcleaner v7.0.6 from https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Just tested and it work on Windows Vista, the version 7.x no longer run on Windows XP for now there isn't information about dropping support of Vista.

If it doesn't work for you make sure you don't have a corrupted download and also try right click on the adwcleaner_7.0.6.0.exe and select Run as Administrator

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

Sorry about that, I was confused by the system requirements on ToolsLib, which stated it runs only on Win 7 or newer.
I used it on Vista and it runs fine. I think the system requirements are incorrect on ToolsLib.
Try following SleepyDude's instructions.

Edited by iMacg3, 30 December 2017 - 12:05 PM.

Regards, iMacg3

#8 jrl_2018

jrl_2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hi, Friends:

The problem has solved. This site's downloads indeed has a corrupted copy. I downloaded adwcleaner.7.0.6.0.exe from toolslib.net and found it ran successfully. 

Thanks to all especially to SleepingDude

jrl

#9 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

...Just tested and it work on Windows Vista, the version 7.x no longer run on Windows XP for now there isn't information about dropping support of Vista.

My understanding is that AdwCleaner (which was acquired by Malwarebytes in October 2016) will install on Vista SP2 but is no longer officially supported on this operating system.  From fr33tux's official product update announcement for AdwCleaner v7.0.0 (released July 2017) at https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/204703-release-adwcleaner-7000/:

"Last but not least, Microsoft announced that Windows Vista is no longer supported. Since January 2017, Windows XP has represented 0.12 percent of our users. Windows Vista 1.51 percent. Thus, the choice has been made to no longer make AdwCleaner v7 compatible with these OS. AdwCleaner v7 now officially supports Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows 10 CU in both x32 and x64. As for the v6, it may work on other OSes but are not officially supported.

We understand that it may not be ideal for some of you, so I encourage to use Malwarebytes 3 which runs on Windows Vista and XP."

I've stopped using AdwCleaner on my Vista SP2 machine because I have concerns about how well it will detect and/or remove threats on this older OS.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1

Edited by lmacri, 31 December 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,032 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

Thanks lmacri for pointing to that topic on Malwarebytes Forum. 

I got the information from a "internal topic" about Adwcleaner and on that topic Vista wasn't mentioned...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#11 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

I got the information from a "internal topic" about Adwcleaner and on that topic Vista wasn't mentioned...

Same here, I think that we both looked at the same "internal topic" where Vista wasn't mentioned.
I think lmacri is correct, as both the system requirements on Bleeping Computer and ToolsLib say that Vista and XP are not supported. I would be careful about using it on Vista, as it may not be as effective as it would be on a supported OS.
Regards, iMacg3

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

...I would be careful about using it on Vista, as it may not be as effective as it would be on a supported OS.

Yes. While a specific security tool may work on an older OS, if it is not officially supported, I would recommend using it if other alternatives are available. In this case, fr33tux encourages folks to use Malwarebytes 3 which runs on Windows Vista and XP.

BTW...fr33tux did say in another topic that v7.x is no longer compatible with Windows XP and if you attempt to run AdwCleaner on XP, it will result in the error..."Not a valid 32-bit application."
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

Hi, Friends:

The problem has solved. This site's downloads indeed has a corrupted copy. I downloaded adwcleaner.7.0.6.0.exe from toolslib.net and found it ran successfully. 

Thanks to all especially to SleepingDude

jrl

(second attempt to post this)

The link to v 7.0.6 was giving v 7.0.5 for a few days, but now been adjusted.

I later downloaded and ran v 7.0.6, on Vista, 32-bit, with no trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users