Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 idarose

idarose

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

I am running Windows ME system.
Without Microsoft Support...lovely I know... :thumbsup:

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction here. I have a program downloaded on my computer called Picassa2 from Google...it is a program that allows you to download digital pictures off your digital camera; and also collects all the pictures from your computer onto itself. Perhaps some of you use it also; I love the program.

Yesterday I wanted to make a webpage using the Picassa2 program to allow people to easily view my pictures in thumbnail size. I downloaded the program from the site...picassa-websetup-beta. I had to extract the files to download it onto my computer. It came back with a error in kernel 32; which read.

"The picassa media detector.exe file is linked to missing export kernel32.dll: MoveFileWithProgressW.

So I went online and tried downloading a new kernel32.dll file...
Had to extract it and place it into the Windows/System folder; which I did.....

Now the main Picassa program will not open at all.....
Get the error of:

"A device attached to the System is not functioning"..... :flowers:

What to do now?

I just did a system restore point from September 26, but I think I needed to go back one more day since I just tried this stuff yesterday.

I am a loss here; I don't want to loose all my pictures within the Picassa2 program...but need to get rid of the kernel32.dll file I installed which is not working; how do I do this?

Appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

You can copy the Picassa files to another file so you will not have a chance of losing them (or to cds or another drive if you have one), so that may take care of the worry.

Actually you can do that by downloading another similar freeware program which will do it automatically like Picassa did when you first got it. There should be several available.

Now for the fix.

Do you have the Windows ME cd?
If you do, try the system file checker tool (look in ME help by clicking start/help) to determine how to access it. In XP it is done by clicking start/run and typing in cmd, then in the black box that appears, type
sfc /scannow
Make sure that you leave a space between the sfc and the /.
Windows will then check that all operating system files are in place and original. It will ask you to insert the installation cd to compare files and replace corrupt or missing ones.

I am not sure if it is exactly the same in Windows ME, but it is likely it is.

Do you have a restore date available from before the problem started?

#3 idarose

idarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

Thanks Enthusisat for your input. I cannot copy the picassa files because the application will not open.
It now says:

C:\ProgramFiles\Picassa2\Picassa2.exe
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

What does this mean?

Also that link message as before is there...

I will try again to do a system restore...but, will that make the picassa program go away; along with all my pictures?

Thanks in advance.

#4 idarose

idarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:47 PM

I cannot access the HELP screen either...I get a Internet Explorer Script Error...then it quits;
no menus are there....wowzer....what is going on now?

Wonder if the fish in my creek would like a computer?

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

Well I'm not sure what this program does, however by the sounds of it, it may take files from a camera... So, this program may be searching to see if the camera is attatched to the device, is this the case? Does this program support your camera if it's already attatched? Since you said you have used it before, I'm wondering if you have checked your device manager to see if there is actually a problem with any of your devices? You may also have a corrupt installation file, so you may want to try to redownload it again and try a repair install.

#6 idarose

idarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:58 PM

I am not sure what it means...there is no device attached to the computer...

This Picasa2 program worked when I downloaded the pictures off the camera.
It quit when I tried to download the webpage program.

Take a look at google.com and you will see the aforementioned program I am speaking of.
Thanks,

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:00 PM

You do not need picassa to be running to copy the pictures.
You can even do it manually using Windows Explorer, finding the jpg or jpeg files wherever Picassa stored them, and then copying them or dragging them to a new file that you can create (like "My Pictures".)

Microsoft has a free program very much like Picassa that will find those pic files on your hard drive automatically and there are others as well. Adobe has one too. Picassa does not need to be functional for one of these to work. You may run into the same problem you did with Picassa because of the missing file, but maybe you won't and therefore it's worth a try.

Try using the method of using the system file checker used in XP (I posted previously). It may very well be the same in ME and it won't hurt anything if not, but if it works it will replace your missing system file.

Did you try using an older restore date? That might correct the problem too. Try it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 September 2006 - 01:01 PM.

#8 john relfe

john relfe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:36 PM

Try this link. I had the same problem but this overcame it.
98 and ME is available for download at http://dl.google.com/picasa/picasa2-setup-1884.exe

#9 idarose

idarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:34 PM

John,

Thanks so much for that link. It is good to have Picasa back; I love that program.
Appreciate this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users