Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Facebook Blocking Incident (Malware?)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tulcas1998

tulcas1998

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hi. I'm posting this to address an Issue I recently encountered which is what I call ''The facebook blocking Incident''  when you open your browser you can´t access facebook, yet you can access all other websites.

at the beginning I thought it was a DNS problem so I took a long Journey for me to come to this conclusion.

then I realized it affects only PCs not cellphones.

My cellphone can access facebook from my router with no Issue.

then I used Malwarebytes, combofix, tsskiller, nothing detected in my PC.

then I looked around Internet for others who would have the same problem.

found some but no one had a solution not a hint of what is causing this.

It would be much appreciated if someone would have an explanation.

thank you very much for reading this.

Edited by tulcas1998, 29 December 2017 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

What browser are you using?

Have you tried using a different browser than that one?

A quick search indicates what you describe appears to be a common problem. I do not use Facebook or any social media but I found one possible solution posted here.

rcgaffud - Oct 8, 2014 at 03:56 AM

...all I did was just logged off my facebook account on my phone (android) then wait for few minutes and then re-login it again (on phone). After a while when it successfully logged in on my phone, I restarted my laptop (from where I can't access facebook website. Then everything works fine, no more unavailable facebook website anymore. I think the main cause of the problem is the synchronization of my android phone to my laptop.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

Having a different issue of late with Facebook. I log in fine on my PC yet the page keeps reloading/refreshing and it won't stop. Using Firefox and I've cleared all history, cache, run all scans, etc, yet it continues. Tried logging out then back in with no luck, problem persists. Any idea what's causing this?

#4 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:06 PM

Tried Internet Explorer (or whatever it's now called) and the issue does not happen there so it sounds like a Firefox issue. Hmmmmmm?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:57 AM

Tried Internet Explorer (or whatever it's now called) and the issue does not happen there so it sounds like a Firefox issue. Hmmmmmm?

That's what I was inclined to believe and why I suggested using an alternate browser.

#6 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:25 PM

I'm switching to Microsoft Edge for now as my web browser. No longer having the aforementioned issues and it seems to be a faster browser than Firefox.

#7 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:18 AM

@ Junior2007,

You will find that Mozilla Firefox has updated in the last week or two, not sure of the version but it did update..

Many games etc, say they have problems with M/soft browsers and will tell you to install and update Chrome.. Then make sure the related extensions are installed, I use Firefox alone now since It is setup correctly..

Never used EDGE, so make sure it is fully updated (Microsoft Updates) and that all of your games play on it. I have updated I.E,, and a couple of games will not play correctly.

Then I use CCleaner or TFC by Old Timer to clear cache and Temp Files..

Just my little bit of input :) Happy New Year ..

Edited as I still can't spell, so I installed free Grammerly (or whatever the name is)

Edited by Jaycan, 01 January 2018 - 05:24 AM.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:41 AM

Firefox v57.0.3 was released a few days ago.

#9 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

I don't do any gaming on my PC and this issue appears to have happened with the last FF update, and only on Facebook. Sorry if I hijacked this thread, I will post any new updates as I get them, thanks for the help.

#10 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

Sorry to reopen this thread, but a few original items are unresolved, or can you please tell us your solutions.

1 / Can the Original Poster please give us a few more details, such as Installed Antivirus and Antimalware.
2 / > 'I used Malwarebytes, combofix, tsskiller, nothing detected in my PC'<, seems to indicate Windows 7 (7.1) or XP SP? ,please list Operating System.
3 / Are you experienced in these programs, or were they from advice ? If so, who advised you to use them ?

Junior2007 may have offered advice, without being aware, also what was your result please.

Gaming is not "required" on Facebook, but the settings for contacts and messaging are very similar (I do use Messenger there).

If you sent a Christmas / New Years .GIF or .JPG message or similar you would need the same settings as many games.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#11 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:48 PM

My issue is exactly as I described, only with Firefox constantly reloading the Facebook page rendering it unreadable. Still happens. Microsoft Edge is working very well for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users