Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Salutations to all (and to all a good day, eh?)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dslomer64

dslomer64

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

I'm a 71.7-year-old computer junkie/hacker/programmer/analyst--heehee... I said "anal"--with 50 years of programming experience. 1967: Fortran IV...punched cards... paper tape... Let's skip a bit.... 2010: Java ...  2014: Android app development. (The skipped bit: BASIC, PL/I, IBM assembly (very little), Pascal, C... C++, Z80 machine/assembly [used quite a bit with my half-day job, below], VBA [hey--it counts--good intro to objects], and SQL using something called "R:Base" on IBM pcs.

I taught math for 42 years, AP Calculus for 41. Threw in some programming courses, including AP Computer Science somewhere in the 70s-90s, notably Pascal. Last 12 years were at Ursuline Academy in the Cincinnati area. From public to private.... And I drift into Java mode.... Alert again, I say the last 12 were almost fun. (Yes, with all girls.) Not so the previous 7 but mostly so the first 23 at Greenhills High School.

Messed with C++ in the 90s as I created and maintained a "progress reporting suite" in my half-day job for my school district before there was OOP (or at least not in the general programming populace)(at least not among the few hackers I hung with).

I own a 2010 and a 2017 Pruis and a 2010 Dell Inspiron laptop, which I have dropped from at least 18" at least four times. (I gently but firmly yet out of not a little anger shut the lid on an Acer provided by my school and killed the hard drive.) I need a new laptop, one reason I'm here.

I'm a blood cancer survivor (so far; diagnosed 2014) thanks to three different intrusions of fairly vicious chemo treatments and a stem cell transplant. 

But the main reason I'm here is that for about 0.2 seconds I saw a blue screen with words saying 'Your computer ... locked' during booting, but then the password screen came up. So it's not locked, but I'll start that thread shortly.

Obvioiusly I like to write, which reminds me: I was an editor of "EightySomething", the Texas Instruments quarterly in which innovative uses of graphing technology and CAS were explored.

Charmed, I'm sure!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:44 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

As a new member be sure to read the Welcome to Bleeping Computer! Guide and the following...Best regards,
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users