Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Not responding' errors within folder explorers, or internet browsers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dannii2017

Dannii2017

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

I'm experincing lagging when browsing the internet or within windows explorer. It takes ages for Firefox to start up, or whichever I use...Google Chrome..

I have attached system info below, and a text document of more info if needed. I have ran Windows Defender, and CCleaner, and also Malwarebytes, which detect no problems. Overall, everything works, but just the freezing.

I'm running Windows 10 with version 1709 (16299.64) attached notepad with more info.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Y6sy7Jqr8Mo4PuYpdK2RcRr

Please can someone advise.

Big thanks in advance

Attached Files

Edited by Dannii2017, 29 December 2017 - 01:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

From Speccy, it does appear that your hard disk is in some trouble with the "Warning" S.M.A.R.T. status. I would suggest you back-up all your files immediately and run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Run the Short and Long Generic tests; the others are guaranteed to fail as they are S.M.A.R.T. based. You do not need to continue with the Long Generic test if the Short Generic test fails. Given the sluggishness of the system, I would highly consider replacing the hard disk even if both tests pass.

Edited by bwv848, 29 December 2017 - 02:20 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:44 PM

I also agree with bwv848 and would back up your data immediately, the most important data being first, before doing the test. Doing the HDD test could send the drive over the edge. You have over 3000 pending sectors marked for reallocation. These are sectors that cannot be read and are awaiting reallocation when they can be read. This is very bad number. You also have a very large G-sense count which means the drive has been jarred enough to set off the sensor, increasing the count.

From Wiki:

Current Pending Sectors

Count of "unstable" sectors (waiting to be remapped, because of unrecoverable read errors). If an unstable sector is subsequently read successfully, the sector is remapped and this value is decreased. Read errors on a sector will not remap the sector immediately (since the correct value cannot be read and so the value to remap is not known, and also it might become readable later); instead, the drive firmware remembers that the sector needs to be remapped, and will remap it the next time it's written.

However, some drives will not immediately remap such sectors when written; instead the drive will first attempt to write to the problem sector and if the write operation is successful then the sector will be marked good (in this case, the "Reallocation Event Count" (0xC4) will not be increased). This is a serious shortcoming, for if such a drive contains marginal sectors that consistently fail only after some time has passed following a successful write operation, then the drive will never remap these problem sectors.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 December 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#4 Dannii2017

Dannii2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

Oh that is very disappointing. I haven't had the llaptop that long. Will I have to reinstall Windows ? Most of the data on the laptop is backed up weekly so no worry there.

I don't have a physical copy of the Windows serial as I upgraded from Win8 to Win10, and it was all preinstalled.

Any advice please. Also, can you determine from the inforrmation provided if there is an idea how long the system will shut down on me at all ?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:44 PM

When you upgraded to 10 Microsoft stored the digital license on their servers tied to your hardware ID. Download the Media Creation Tool to get the latest version. Windows will auto activate once online.

There's no telling when the drive will completely fail. Could be today, tomorrow, or next month. Pay attention to current pending sectors. If that increases without a corresponding increase in reallocated sectors that would be sign the drive failing soon. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

I haven't had the llaptop that long.

How long is long? If the warranty is still valid for the machine, I would suggest you claim it. Otherwise, follow John's instructions.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 Dannii2017

Dannii2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:27 AM

Thanks guys for your answers, Oh well, the thing died on me last night. Luckily I backed up. Thing is now, I can hear it start but nothing appearing on the screen. I'm guessing it's dead. How do I access the boot settings. I plan to get a new hard drive today. I will download the Windows tool to a USB and boot from that if I can but will I see a windows boot up screen once replaced ? as I see nothing showing with this dead drive.

The actual laptop is just under 2 years old now. Can I use any other laptop HDD ? or does it have to be the same model ? It's a Toshiba MQ01ABD100

Sorry for noob question. Thanks x

Edited by Dannii2017, 11 January 2018 - 06:47 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Do you see a Toshiba logo when booting the computer. You should still see this even though the hard drive failed? You can use any 2.5 HDD. Doesn't have to be Toshiba.

#9 Dannii2017

Dannii2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

Do you see a Toshiba logo when booting the computer. You should still see this even though the hard drive failed? You can use any 2.5 HDD. Doesn't have to be Toshiba.

When the laptop initially crashed, it was restarting and crashing, then had a 'Windows could not repair' and I had options to reset, etc, I chose to turn the computer off. The laptop has nothing on the screen, it's blank, the LCD power light comes on and I can hear the fan etc, and the hard drive spinning....nothing else other than that. I have tried the power reset and removed the battery but still the same. I was hoping it would be ok after replacing the hard drive (Seagate 2.5)

I'm guessing it could be a RAM problem or something.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

Remove the hard drive. Boot the computer. If you do not see a Toshiba logo shut the computer down. Remove the battery and power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power adapter but not the battery. Boot the computer. Do you see a Toshiba logo? If not then replacing the hard drive will not work. There is a hardware problem a shop may need to look at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users