Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Partitioning Advice, Please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

Hi there,

I'm running Windows XP Home, originally with 53 GB free space, 512 RAM. Recently, my son helped me to install Linux Ubuntu onto my hard drive. Since then, I've noticed that anything I do with my Adobe PhotoShop Elements is either painfully slow, or will not happen at all. Case in point, I was unable to attach one photo to my Yahoo email to send. Even my Thunderbird email is painfully slow at sending email, even without pics or graphics of any kind. Some sites are loading quite slow as well. I'm wondering if we haven't given C: drive enough free space, given the needs of such large, space intensive programs like Adobe PSE, which says it requires 900 MB minimum and 256, preferrably 512 RAM.

Here's the stats: Currently, my C: drive has only 2.36 GB of free space, total free space of 15 GB. Drive F: which we created for files that will be shared between both Windows and Ubuntu has Free and Total 39.4 GB. Any thoughts on these numbers? Sure would appreciate any opinions.

Regards,

Eagle7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

When using Adobe Photoshop one of Adobe Photoshops parts in operation is the scratch space on the HDD. If you loose much more HDD space your going to find Adobe Photoshop more sluggish than it is already. I also recommend you have 1Gig of RAM for using Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Premier.

This probably puts you in a possition where you might want to think about upgrading to a 200gig HDD and maybe even purchasing another 512MB of RAM.

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:43 PM

Windows needs 15% free space on the hard drive to function properly.
You also may benefit from more ram and more page file space.

You need considerably more free space on the C partition.

Graphics aps are resource intensive, and if you have a graphics adapter that uses shared system ram you really do not have 512mb of ram available to Windows and whatever aps you use because the graphics adapter will be drawing ram from it. How much depends on the size of the aperture set in the bios (you can't change it though because if you do the graphics adapter won't function properly.

Also, you may have way too many aps in the Windows startup menu.
You do not need anything in the startup menu starting when Windows starts and running in the background except your anti-virus program, anti-malware programs that give real-time protection, your firewall and essential Windows aps.
Aps like Adobe, Office, Word, Realplayer, Instant Messengers, Nero or other cd writer aps, etc do not need to run in the background when you are not using them. They will open when you want to use them.

I suggest a small freeware ap named Startup Inspector for managing your Windows start menu. It is much easier to use then the Windows utility, msconfig, because it better identifies the programs connected to the listings on the startup menu and doesn't affect the startup mode as msconfig will do if you aren't careful.
Startup Inspector
http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 September 2006 - 02:51 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

I'd suggest removing one of the slow application completely - then reinstalling it to see if this is the problem. It may be that the program is looking for space that it used to use - and can't find it, so it just keeps on looking until it finally gives up and switches to another area.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:38 AM

Good evening,

Well, you three have certainly given me some things to think about. Sorry for the delay in replying, I had trouble getting the email to let me know that you had replied. Anyway, what I can tell you, is that I already do keep the Start Up programs to a minimum, mostly just the A/V, A/Spy, etc.

To Usasma, I did actually uninstall my Adobe earlier today in hopes of determining if it's having problems of it's own as I kinda caused it some grief when I imported my catalog from Adobe to Picasa and then had a string of "broken image" problems to deal with. Also, I wanted to see if my other apps ran any differently. No real change there. After uninstalling Adobe PSE, my 2.34 GB increased to 2.73 on the C: drive. I plan to reinstall it tomorrow and see if anything changed.

To Enthusiast, do you figure 15% from the original free space before the partitioning? In other words, if I had 53 GB's before partitioning, would your 15% figure then equal 10.5 GB's to allow for Window's on the C: drive? If that's correct, then my son's estimate of 15 GB's was okay? You mention that I need "considerably far more free space" on my C: drive. How much space would you recommend?

To Darkraika, I'm not sure what expansion may be available to me for HD space. I started out with 80, so to speak. I believe I might be able to add another 512 RAM, but at the $42 or so per 256k that HP charged me, that's a bundle. I'll certainly look into that, tho.

Thank you all for your input. Looking forward to anymore info you can help me with on this. I enjoy learning every day!

Regards,

Eagle7

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:58 AM

How many hard drives do you have?

Did you install Ubuntu Linux on the same hard drive Windows is on?

If you did install Ubuntu on the same drive this is the cause of your problem I would suggest going thru Windows and backing up all of the important data on the system to another media like CD-R's, DVD or thumb drive.

Next use the Windows install disk or recovery disk to partition the hard drive into two drives and install Windows on one drive and when done with that use the Ubuntu install disk to format the other partition and install Ubuntu Linux and then you should be alright.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:08 AM

Generally speaking, it's the re-installation that will fix it (if that's indeed the problem).

Also, since there's a lot of slowness associated with your network connection - you may want to try looking at that to see if 1) something got hosed there, or 2) if you need to tweak it a bit. But, I can't imagine that just installing Linux would do this to your network adaptor.

The 15% free space is an average figure and is based on what kind of files the average user normally works with. I've actually seen a case where it became impossible to delete files from a hard drive because it was too full! But, in general, the more free space the better - too little will help to slow your system to a crawl.

RAM and hard drive prices have continued to go down. I'd suggest that you use the memory configurator here to see what you can get: http://www.crucial.com/ I now buy all my RAM from them - their guarantee, support, and service far exceed anything that I've seen online in the past few years. They have even replaced a missing shipment for me before the investigation was done.

You can also research prices on http://www.pricegrabber.com/ I use it for my shopping and haven't been disappointed very often. I never buy from a company that doesn't have at least a hint of color in the 5th star of the 5 star rating system - and the few problems that I have encountered have been easily solved.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:03 PM

Hi ThorXP,

Here's how my son set up my partitions during the the Ubuntu install:

Drive Type Capacity Free % Free

C: NTFS 15.00 GB 2.72 GB 18%

D: FAT32 4.07 GB 972 MB 23

F: FAT32 39.46 GB 39.46 GB 99

C: "Swap" ? 1019 MB 1019 MB 100

C: ? 15.00 GB 15.00 GB 100

Sorry, I can't remember exactly the details on the last two entries. The F: drive is the place we set up to place files such as My Docs, etc. that I would use frequently in BOTH OS's. Maybe one of the last two entries is the Window's Paging space? Hopefully, this gives you something to work with in advising me how to proceed.

I did the normal disk clean, defrag, even ran Window Washer to clean my "free space", etc prior to installing Ubuntu, as well I backed up all my files and pics on CD's.

I have the one hard drive that came with my computer two years ago, 80 GB's. It came with 256k RAM, I installed another 256k about 6 months ago. I'm not sure what further expansion slots are available at this time.

Based on what partitioning info I've provided above, do I still need to do the things below that you mentioned with the recovery disk? I actually have 5 or 6 CD's from Compaq, put there is already a "Recovery something" that shows up on one of the boot up screens. Thanks so much for all your help.

#9 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

Hi John,

I haven't re-installed Adobe PSE yet, but I feel I should clarify the slowness I talked about and bring you all up to date on one issue I've been able to clear up. Through reading the Mozilla Forum re Firefox, I was able to ascertain that there is a problem with FF/Yahoo on the sending attachments issue. I can't see where anyone is claiming this problem, and I couldn't really find a "technical" fix for it. A few readers had "fixes" of their own, which I opted to try one of them and it worked. Apparently, for those of us who use "No Script", signing out of Yahoo email, changing the "No Script" setting from "Allow" to "Forbid" and then back again seemed to clear up the problem. I was able to successfully send two photos after logging back into my Yahoo email. Go figure! Sounds screwy to me, but it worked.

Since FF and Thunderbird email just recently sent out updates, like last week, I think, there's talk of there being "issues" with those updates. I will be checking out the TB portion of the forum and see if there's any reason my email going out is taking SO long.

Otherwise, my browser activity, surfing, etc. all seems to be normal and pages are loading at what I'd call 'normal' for dial up.

I'll wait on re-installing Adobe PSE until ThorXP replies regarding possible recovery/repartitioning. Purchasing additional memory at this time is not possible, perhaps in the near future. Thanks so much for all your help.

Regards,

Eagle7

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

To Enthusiast, do you figure 15% from the original free space before the partitioning? In other words, if I had 53 GB's before partitioning, would your 15% figure then equal 10.5 GB's to allow for Window's on the C: drive? If that's correct, then my son's estimate of 15 GB's was okay? You mention that I need "considerably far more free space" on my C: drive. How much space would you recommend?

It has nothing to do with the free space on your other virtual drives - Windows needs a minimum of 15% free space on the drive Windows is on.
More is always better because every update you download and whatever aps you add diminish the available free space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users