Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me....please...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 BlueFoxAnime

BlueFoxAnime

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

I invested crazy amounts of time and money and work in to building my own computer, and after two years of light use it seems to be effectively useless all of a sudden. I had noticed some random crashes, sometimes with the error code "Memory Management", which forced an auto-restart. Don't know if that is related to the present issue, but perhaps. 

The present issue: browsers that are on web pages suddenly saying can't load (white screen). Can't install certain programs. Can't install new, or old, graphics card drivers. Can't play my video game.Can't reset Windows 10 to the base version, regardless of whether or not I choose to keep/erase all files when given the option. Searched and searched for solutions. Downloaded a number of things to try to fix it, all to no avail; including all the Microsoft tools amongst them. Tried DDU. As a last resort, since, even though I own my copy of Windows 10, I wasn't able to reset, I downloaded a copy of Windows 7, and then Windows 10 online. Wasn't able to use the mounting tools to load the respective ISO's. It's almost like someone is watching my actions and deliberately quashing them when I get close to a solution. Feels malicious, but I have purposely used this computer for absolutely nothing but gaming. Early on I suspected Windows 10 updates were to blame, as those keep failing to install. I'm at my wit's end. All my time was for nothing......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

What is the make and model of the motherboard? If you have access to another computer download the iso file of UBCD. Burn the iso to a DVD or CD by right clicking on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image.

Boot UBCD and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop click Disk Health and run the short test. If it passes run the long test. 

If the short and long test pass boot UBCD again and in the memory submenu select Memtest+. Run the test for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight.

If your motherboard is UEFI you may need to enable Legacy or CSM boot in order for UBCD to boot.

http://mirror.sysadminguide.net/ubcd/ubcd537.iso

Did you download the latest version of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool?

#3 BlueFoxAnime

BlueFoxAnime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Thank you for your response! I did download the latest version of Win 10 using MCT, but that, too, failed to completely install without an error code.

Motherboard: ASUS All-series

I do have access to another comp, but I don't have a cd/dvd drive in the afflicted computer. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:44 AM

There are some Win7 to Win10 upgrades that, while they worked, were problematic from the outset.

If this machine has been working for several years and this behavior is sudden I would expect one of two things:

1. Some sort of hardware failure (either in progress or complete).  This is what JohnC_21 is clearly thinking and having you pursue first.

2. A malware infection of some kind.

I would also ask what Version of Windows 10 is currently on the machine?   If you are prior to Version 1709 I would suggest trying the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.   If your machine will not boot you can definitely switch the boot order to use the device on which the bootable ISO resides and follow the technique via that route.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

Thank you for your response! I did download the latest version of Win 10 using MCT, but that, too, failed to completely install without an error code.

Motherboard: ASUS All-series

I do have access to another comp, but I don't have a cd/dvd drive in the afflicted computer. 

One need not have an optical drive.   You can use the MCT itself to create bootable USB media or, my preference, to download the ISO file and create a bootable USB drive using Rufus (or similar).  I prefer the latter technique because I've had the MCT "burp" while creating the USB media and when that happens you have to start from scratch.   On a DSL connection (which I'm generally using) the ISO download is the longest part of the process, so I'd rather download it and use a utility to create the bootable USB drive.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 BlueFoxAnime

BlueFoxAnime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

Running Win 10 Pro, 1709, 16299.125

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

My gut tells me you more likely have a nasty infection of some variety than hardware failure, but that's just my gut.

You have to pursue one avenue or the other first to eliminate it.  Which one is entirely up to you.   If you pursue the hardware checks first and they come back clean I would strongly suggest that you post that information here, then start a thread in the "Am I infected? What do I do?" forum, after which I would lock this topic.  If you decide to pursue the possible infection route first, I would still appreciate knowing so that we can lock this thread so that only one is open related to this issue at a time.

#8 BlueFoxAnime

BlueFoxAnime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

I've never used Rufus before. So, to be clear, I am to create the ISO using MCT on the non-afflicted PC, and then (presumably) transfer it using a USB device to the afficted comp, where I will then use Rufus to actually mount and implement it? I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

FYI, one of the things I tried in this long and agonizing process was to connect my perfectly-functioning external HD to the afflicted comp, but said comp refused to recognize it. Again, with the malice...

#9 BlueFoxAnime

BlueFoxAnime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

I should also note that the non-afflicted comp is not running 10, but rather Win7.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

Doesn't make a difference. You create the bootable USB flash drive on the unaffected computer using Rufus. Make sure you select GPT for a partition scheme in the dropdown box Edit: If the mb is UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Select iso image in the dropdown box, click the icon, and browse to the iso file of Windows 10. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

If you want to do a clean install you can press Shift + F10 at the Windows screen asking for language which will open a command prompt. Type:

diskpart

list disk

select disk X    Where X is the number associated with the drive you plan to install Windows 10 to.

clean                 Deletes all partitions. This will wipe any data on the drive so be sure you selected the correct drive in the previous command. This is usually 0

convert gpt       Initialized the disk for a gpt partition. This is why I asked the Motherboard model number. If it is not UEFI then you would substitute a different command.

exit

exit

continue with the install

Edit: Before doing the above please provide the exact motherboard model number. You should see it by opening the side case panel.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 December 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:08 PM

BlueFoxAnime,

Not exactly.

On the unafflicted machine (and it doesn't matter what version of Windows it's running):

1. You will use the MCT to download the ISO file (via the create media for another machine [or similar] phased option).
  2. You will use Rufus to take said ISO file and transfer it to the USB thumb drive (which BTW now needs to be larger than 4GB) as bootable.  (Use the default settings on Rufus and, as JohnC_21 has noted, use the option for ISO file.  This is documented at the Rufus site.)

On the afflicted machine:

1.  You will enter UEFI/BIOS at boot time and change the boot order to look at the USB device before the HDD/SSD.

2.  You will have the bootable USB media inserted into a USB port.

3.  The machine will boot into Windows 10 install/update/reset from the USB media.  You will choose the option you wish to exercise.

#12 BlueFoxAnime

BlueFoxAnime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

The external HD I mentioned was my only "flash drive", and the afflicted comp refused to recognize it. I suppose I could go buy a new flash drive (though there is nothing wrong with this one, and I am using it right now on the non-afflicted comp), but do you really think it will work?

H97- Pro Gamer

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

You are not being clear enough about the lack of recognition on the afflicted machine.

Given what you've described about the state of Windows 10 it is unsurprising to me that there are issues with Windows recognizing the drive.

If your Windows 7 machine can and does recognize it, and Rufus can write a bootable image to it, then the drive itself is fine.  Your afflicted machine's UEFI (I presume) should have no problem recognizing this as a bootable device since Windows is not involved in any way (that's providing you don't have a failure in the USB hub, which is unlikely).

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

Get yourself a cheap 16GB flash drive. If you have a best buy near you a 16GB USB 2 can be had for $5

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-cruzer-16gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-black/9226875.p?skuId=9226875

Your Motherboard is UEFI so convert gpt is the diskpart command to use.

#15 BlueFoxAnime

BlueFoxAnime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

I just once again tried my perfectly-functioning external HD on five of the afflicted comp's USB drives, and in no case did the comp recognize the drive. No autoplay. No presence in "This PC". For all intents and purposes, the drive was not connected. I will go get a flash drive when I can, hopefully today. If, however, there is an alternative method of running the ISO, please let me know. 

I continue to be thankful for your assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users