Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't figure out why Windows Firewall is blocking ports

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Blacklight

Blacklight

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:28 AM

I'm coming here for some help out of desperation.  I pretty much know what I'm doing with port forwarding.  I've run a Minecraft Server on my home PC that me and my friends have played on for years.  Now, however, for some reason, the Windows Firewall is blocking the ports that the server needs to communicate.  There are no rules that are set to prevent the ports from communicating. The only way I can make these ports visible is to take down Windows Firewall.   I havn't installed any new security software that would have done anything to the computer.  Nothing is locking the computer down to my knowledge.  But when Windows Firewall is up, the ports are blocked.  I've gone through every single rule in the advanced section to check for conflicts or anything that mentions the same ports that this game uses and there are none.  

Both me, and my wife, can log into the server locally both on the PC that's running the server, and on my wife's laptop, in her office.  So we can log in locally.  The firewall is just blocking things to external logins.   Using a port checker site reveals that the site sees the ports when the firewall is down and that it doesn't see them when the firewall is up.

Do any of you have any ideas how to handle this? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

By default all ports are blocked.  You need to open the required ports on the Windows Firewall.  It may also have to do with the type of network you selected.

Read this article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users