Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various Windows 10 update errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thepokey

thepokey

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:11 AM

Hi Guys, 

Hope you'll be able to shed a bit of light on this. I've spent the last couple of days with Microsoft support but to no solution. Basically, my PC seems to be having issues installing Windows updates. I am currently using Windows 10 Version 1607. Whenever I try to download updates, it downloads them but then when it is installing them, always somewhere between 70-90% complete it will stop with an error. The errors are as listed below:

There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:

• Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x8007007e

• Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 (KB3186568) - Error 0x8000ffff

• Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243) - Error 0x80246007

Error code: (0x80246007)

When I leave the computer unattended for a short period of time it will attempt a security update which also has a pop-up box with the error: 0x8007007e

Whenever I attempt to update, it seems the downloads complete which the Microsoft people said rules out something like anti-virus stopping it (although I don't have any external anti-virus programs, just what little comes with Windows). 
Other things tried was running the Windows Update Troubleshooter which, I think (I'm not all that tech-smart so my descriptions are very layman terms), rolled back/uninstalled any current updates and attempted to re-download the latest ones. This just results in the same above errors when attempting to install.

One Microsoft tech guy was really nice and stayed in the chat with me for over an hour while downloading an ISO file for a fresh windows update (version 1709) which he said once installed would allow the updates to happen again as normal. Problem was that once this was downloaded and was run, the same thing would happen - the installation go to about 70% complete and just cancelled and said it could not be completed (no error message given).

So I'm really not sure what to do about it. It's frustrating because I seem to be encountering more and more other problems which are seemingly solved when the latest versions of Windows is installed, but I can't do that so that amount of other issues are mounting up until this can be fixed.

Anyone experienced anything similar or able to shed some light?

Cheers :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:35 AM

Reset the Update Components

Open Notepad and copy and paste the batch script below in it.  Save this to the Desktop and name it UCReset.bat.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

To run the batch script right click on the UCReset.bat file on the desktop and select Run as administrator.

Restart your computer and try updating again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:52 AM

Hey thanks for the reply. So I followed these instructions and ran the .bat file and restarted. Things seemed good at first, rather than trying to download updates this time my computer automatically started downloading the 1709 update. However, after an hour or so, it downloaded and attempted to install and the installation failed again. This time seems to have different error codes though:

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4049411)

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 (KB3186568)

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4049411)

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243)

So the problem really seems to lie with the actual installation process as the download, like other times, completed with no problems.

#4 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:55 AM

Also, it seems that without initiating anything it looks like my PC now is continually trying to download Version 1709 and that is constantly failing to install with the 0x8007007e error.

I saw in another thread it was fixed by manually installing the .NET Framework 4.7 update and then that allowed regular updates including 1709 to proceed. So I tried downloading and installing that, predictably the installation failed due to "catastrophic failure". Whatever that means. The log file it provided was:

OS Version = 10.0.14393, SP = 0.0, Platform 2
OS Description = Future OS - x64 
MSI = 5.0.14393.576
Windows servicing = 10.0.14393.0
CommandLine = D:\8de36578799d922ceee355a90c76\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64 /redist
TimeZone = AUS Eastern Summer Time
Initial LCID = 3081
Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
Operation: Installing
Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 Setup
Package Version = 4.7.02053
User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
Number of applicable items: 6
Exe (D:\8de36578799d922ceee355a90c76\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
Exe (D:\8de36578799d922ceee355a90c76\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
Exe (D:\8de36578799d922ceee355a90c76\x64-Windows10.0-KB3186568-x64.cab) failed with 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failure .
Exe Log File: CBS.log
Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x8000FFFF), "Catastrophic failure " (Elapsed time: 0 00:01:47).

Edited by thepokey, 30 December 2017 - 03:14 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:21 AM

It appears that this error is related to the .Net Framework 4.

This is a good set of instructions for addressing this, you can find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:08 PM

I'll be honest, I don't understand those instructions at all :( I mean, I know it involves using the command prompt, but what is actually inputted doesn't seem clear to me there. Most variations of what I am inputting from there (copied directly, so no typing mistakes) comes back as 'not recognised as an internal or external command' so I'm a bit lost with that one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users