Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to access home files remotely (not using teamviewer,etc)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eeps24

eeps24

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

I want to access my home files remotely, what do I need to install in order to do this?

*note* I dont want to use cloud/online options such as teamviewer, dropbox, google drive etc. I am looking for a server/client installation setup.

I want to connect (NOT remote desktop), to my home computer via a secure connection and access the folder like a shared drive. What software will I need to achieve this? OpenVPN? anything else?

Thank you

I have two windows 7 laptops that I will be doing this with.

Edited by eeps24, 28 December 2017 - 07:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

Just looked into PC Anywhere, seems as if a flaw has shown up!  While poking around there seems to be a few others, do the home work!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 28 December 2017 - 08:29 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 eeps24

eeps24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

Just looked into PC Anywhere, seems as if a flaw has shown up!  While poking around there seems to be a few others, do the home work!

Phil

? what flaw?   Also, I did do the homework but need further clarification, hence posting on a forum for extra help. Also I do not want PC anywhere or similar apps, just a straight connection PC to PC.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:22 PM

Check a few of these links!

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&ei=W8JFWsaEHsO2gge2joLoAQ&q=pcanywhere+users+warned&oq=pcanywhere+users+warned&gs_l=psy-ab.3...42593.80038.0.83894.25.21.0.0.0.0.156.1448.19j2.21.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..7.4.337...0i67k1j0i7i30k1j0i30k1j0i8i30k1j0i13k1j0i13i30k1j0i13i5i30k1j0i8i13i30k1.0.4YrGXWpb6bw

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 AdminPower

AdminPower

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

What I feel like you're looking for is a proper firewall that would enable you to setup a remote access VPN. Some firewalls have native support for Cisco IPSec which is easy to install and is supported natively by Mac OS and iOS. For windows computers a remote access L2TP connection would also work. The main issue boils down to what hardware you have to work with, what your level of expertise is, and how much you're willing to spend on hardware to accomplish this task. 

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,374 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

eeps24, there is a reason people recommend things like TeamViewer.  The reason is they are easy to do and you don't have to jump through hoops to get them to work.

In order to do what you want you will need to open ports on your router, you will need to forward those ports to your PC, you will need to keep track of a possibly changing public IP address.  Oh, and you need to do all of this while keeping it secure so only you can get into it.  Then to top it off all file transfer speeds are limited to your upload speed.

Why are you looking to do this?

#7 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

What i did was setup my own FTP server on my home PC. I have a static IP for my home but if you use a DYNDNS service, you can connect to your home using FTP solution.

I use this to share out my files when needed or access files that I added to the FTP manager and also give it to friends/family that wanna grab something from me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users