Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Criminal Employee on the loose

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fox4

Fox4

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

I have an interesting dilemma.  I have an employee who is a liar, thief and wanna be hacker.  I proved it... and the boss says, unless he bleeps (ha! I did not say bleeps! But I guess you get the idea) on the CEO's desk, he is going nowhere.  Then 2 weeks ago, he had me almost convinced and everyone else totally convinced that I deleted 3 years of company financial data.  10 days, 100 hours worked, almost $1700 later... I can prove that he deleted the files.  I was supposed to be giving that information to my boss today but was forced out of the office because this employee turned off all my security and things started to go nuts on my laptop.  I pulled the plug and got off the network before anything could happen, I have backups everywhere so I'm not worried about the computer, I just can't let him win this one!  :warrior: .  That's why I'm here, I need to make sure I am protected before I go back.  I'm hoping you all can help me make sure I don't leave any holes for this kid. It's him or I leaving but it can't be me unless I have another job and I don't know how long that will take!  

So #1 need to make sure he can't get on my computer and he has admin rights to the laptop.  I think he is also pinned to a computer on the network because I dont know how else he accessed the PC, any thoughts?

We work in separate locations about 1.5 hours apart and are not on the same network.  He did have access through a firewall that I had the password changed to and the vpn credentials removed.  We have a Cisco ASA VPN Concentrator but I removed his access to that early this morning as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

sigh.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

Is this a corporate laptop?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Fox4

Fox4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

Allan, I'm so glad you were watching and that I found you!  Imagine the luck!

I thought I remembered hearing about this site!  Something about points or credits for replies right?  This is how it's gonna go for a bit so put on your big boy boots! 

#5 Fox4

Fox4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

Yes, Didier is Corporate.  Allan could give more details since he is the one I'm talking about.... sitting around on forums all day instead of working, acting like a big shot.  But, he's not.  He'll never be more than he is because he's trying to snake his way up instead of working for it.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:50 AM

Okay, I think this has gone more than far enough. Let's set a few things straight here. First and for all, if you have a corporate laptop and you think another employee belonging to the same corporation has accessed it without your consent or knowledge, contact your company's network administration. It's as simple as that. Not only is an online forum unable to provide you with instructions, in most cases that could even be illegal.

That being said, BC is a computer help forum, its not a work-gossip forum, its not a let's-share-our-latest-grudges forum, so please stop using it that way. I am inviting you to review the forum rules you agreed to when you created your account: 

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

I really don't care what happened between the two of you or who is right; you're using a personal conflict to air the dirty laundry of your company in public. Personally if I were said company I wouldn't be very amused about that to be honest. If you have an issue, sort it out in a constructive way, don't start implying and threatening publicly online; it not only is unprofessional, it also makes you look immature. No matter if you're right, this is not the way to resolve your conflict.

This topic will be locked, further attempts to continue this discussion will have negative consequences for your BC membership.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users