Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Laptop Suitable for Linux?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

Can I install Linux Mint on the Acer Aspire E 15 (E5-575-33BM) laptop?

Here is a link to the specs:  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.GG5AA.005

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

I cant see why it wouldn't run Linux.

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

I was only asking because I have another computer I bought earlier this year and it is customized only for windows.  I was told I can't install Linux on it.  Thanks.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

I was told I can't install Linux on it.

There is no such thing as can't install, its just that it may be harder to install, I am sure if I had the PC in front of me I would work it out but its not something I would like to do thru a forum as it takes too long.

#5 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

I have a newer HP Windows 10 that I think the sales staff told me wouldn't work with a Linux operating system.  They told me that some of the hardware mfg are designing components made specifically to work with Windows.  I'd LOVE to Linux-ize that computer.   I'll get the model and specs. 

This is good news.

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 28 December 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hi, LittleGreenDots.

I agree with Nick, about your first post. It's Intel, through & through. That means Linux-friendly; I don't care what anybody else says (I daresay Cat will be along tomorrow, with a discourse about the hardware side of things, bless 'im!).....barring an unusually awkward UEFI setup, it should certainly be possible.

As for HP, ignore 'em. They're trying to put the frighteners on you, probably along the lines of coming out and saying that if you try and modify it, you'll kiss good-bye to your warranty. Might be easier to swap the drive out, and install Linux to a second drive; that way, you can always put it back to original if you want to sell it.

HP are the epitome of the corporate 'big boys', who see the best way of ensuring a steady cash-flow as making certain their customers 'toe the line', and keep within their carefully-structured 'game-plan'..!

If you're determined enough, then 'where there's a will, there's a way'. Nothing's impossible.....though minor miracles may be required!  :lol:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 28 December 2017 - 05:06 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:43 AM

I have a newer HP Windows 10 that I think the sales staff told me wouldn't work with a Linux operating system.

I have a "newer HP Windows 10" laptop that works just fine with Linux.

They told me that some of the hardware mfg are designing components made specifically to work with Windows.

Computers may be designed for Windows, but Linux is designed for computers. :)

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:47 AM

I'd LOVE to Linux-ize that computer.

Its easy, Create a Live CD/DVD or USB and use it to boot the PC, If it works live it will work installed.

PS

Make sure you turn off fast boot.

Edited by NickAu, 29 December 2017 - 05:51 AM.

#9 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:01 AM

Thanks.  I have two computers I want to migrate to Linux, and I really like the idea of swapping the HD on the HP.  Do I need to change any BIOS settings when switching the hard drives?

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

That Acer should run like a banshee with linux on it.

Swapping the HDD is/would be really nice if you can afford it.  That will save you plenty of time and massive aggravation if you want windows back!  No BIOS Changes for a HDD Swap, but the settings will need to be changed to boot from Linux.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:10 AM

Post #8, there is still the risk of that mess which occured a few years back wth lenovo computers having hard-drives set up to always operate as (I think it was) a RAID array of a form which linux didn't have support for, for a problem like this live booting wouldn't reveal it. Also one ought to turn off secure boot, while some linux distros like ubuntu and some of red hats products are able to sometimes work with secure boot in limited circumstances most distros are not.

When buying computers I HIGHLY recommend taking a live linux USB to the shop and refusing to purchase anything which you are not able to test live booting on there and then. This won't rule out weird issues like the one that affected some lenovo systems, but it will let you ensure that a device you plan to buy does not have un-disable-able secure boot or badly designed motherboards and BIOS/UEFI.

Edited by rp88, 30 December 2017 - 12:10 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:20 AM

I used this search and found that this pc should easily run Linux as many have done so already.

acer E5-575-33BM ubuntu

Edited by pcpunk, 30 December 2017 - 08:20 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:39 AM

Hi, LittleGreenDots.

I agree with Nick, about your first post. It's Intel, through & through. That means Linux-friendly; I don't care what anybody else says (I daresay Cat will be along tomorrow, with a discourse about the hardware side of things, bless 'im!).....barring an unusually awkward UEFI setup, it should certainly be possible.

Mike.  :wink:

I agree with this, most all Intel computers can run Linux, it's just that a couple of brands, notably Samsung & Lenovo, does something with the UEFI that causes booting into Linux (even a rescue media) to 'semi-brick' the machine (usually causes a constant boot loop). The hardware is still fine, yet the computer UEFI needs to be reprogrammed, a (minimum) $300 repair that's not only uncovered by warranty, also voids it (with the OEM). If a 3rd party warranty, may not matter, they'll fix or replace the unit. SquareTrade actually reimburses the cost of computer if costs too much to repair. 

Unfortunately, most local shops cannot repair these, special tools are required that the OEM keeps a secret, oddly, a Linux one! :P

Yet on most computers other than many of those, Linux runs fine. I had an HP that ran Linux Mint for 2-3 years. If in doubt, go to the OEM's forum, most all has one & look for Topic in regards to Linux installs on certain models. 

To be honest, I've seen W10 cause far more damage than Linux on computers, especially those that were designed to run Vista or older. These can be rescued easier, although kind of tricky to do, extracting the latest BIOS with 7zip & creating a Win98 boot media. It messed up the PC I'm typing this post on, took months for me to find the fix. Was close to being torn down, saving all screws & anything reusable & tossing the rest. 

Spoiler

Runs Linux like a champ & always has! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 TheNewGuyAgain

TheNewGuyAgain

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

To give it a shot why don't you just make an image of current setup and store on an external drive with Veeam and try installing your Distro of choice. If it doesn't work you can always just restore the image of windows as if nothing happened. 

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:54 AM

To give it a shot why don't you just make an image of current setup and store on an external drive with Veeam and try installing your Distro of choice. If it doesn't work you can always just restore the image of windows as if nothing happened. 

That may indeed work, as long as the computer in question UEFI isn't knocked out (semi-bricked). The hardware isn't bricked or affected, what controls it could be. In that case, even removing the drive & replacing with another won't help, other than the customer/owner can play dumb as though 'what happened?' :P

In regards to the OP & this Topic, while nothing's impossible, have yet to hear of Linux breaking the UEFI (or BIOS) of Acer computers, are among the Linux friendly models. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users