Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using whatsapp SOLELY through a windows or linux PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

I've got some friends who use whatsapp, primarily because it costs most of the people I know a fortune to make normal mobile phone calls and texts. They recommended that I start using it too BUT I don't have any form of smart phone. I do have a linux/windows PC with a webcam, microphone, speakers.... So I wanted to know whether there is any way to run whatsapp solely through a PC. Ideally instructions would be for a linux system but I can do instructions appropriate to windows 8.1 too.

I'm aware whatsapp is generally an apple iphone/google android phone app but wonder if it can be made to run in a similar fashion to the way wine can run a windows executable on linux. Either some kind of emulation method or some kind of semi-emulation like wine does for exe files. I've searched around online and have heard talk of a desktop version of whatsapp, including an unofficial ubuntu version (I'm not entirely sure if this is safe and/or reliable either), but I'm not sure if either can work without a smartphone present, most instructions talk of installing a desktop client then having a QR code appear on screen for a phone to scan.

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 28 December 2017 - 01:50 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hi rp88,

You will find "WhatsApp desktop app and WhatsApp Web" however you still need a cell phone to sync the app. Example: I have an iPhone and use the WhatsApp on the phone. I have also downloaded and installed the WhatsApp desktop in Windows 10. When I installed the desktop app, I still had to open my iPhone WHatsApp (app) and scan the QR code shown on my desktop to sync the two devices. If you have a cell phone, it's really awesome to work between the computer and the phone. What does not work for me is to hear and record voice chats via my computer. I have the settings to do so turned off within Windows 10, unless I am using Google Hangouts and I turn the settings on.

Here are a couple of WhatsApp links for you to read:

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/web/26000012/

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/web/28080003/

Regarding your Linux setup: "Note: ARM processors and Linux based systems are not supported."

No doubt this is not what you had in mind. 

P.S. Have you ever tried Gmail Google Hangouts? You can access your contacts to make phone calls, connect via video or via phone calls? Perhaps you and your friends can set up Google emails addresses specific for Google Hangouts? All you need is a computer, Internet, microphone and of course access to your camera for video. I have a great time with this option.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

ARM processors are NOT common in PCs anyway, most PCs including mine are x86 (intel or AMD). I would however assume though that whatsapp would run on ARM (for example raspberry pi), I hear most android phones are ARM based, so I'm surprised to hear whatsapp being not ARM supported, I'd think it more likely to be not x86 supported.

I've used google hangouts plenty, it works well for me, but the people I'm communicating with don't seem to use it, that's why I'm trying to see about running whatsapp from a PC.

So the FAQs indicate any native method for use on a PC is out, but what about emulation. There are plenty of ways to get windows programs (unsupported on linux) to run on linux, atleast if you are lucky with the program in question. And being designed for a phone means whatsapp will surely expect only a pretty low amount of processing power and memory space, so virtual machines might be a possibility?

Failing some kind of VM or emulation, are there any linux or windows programs able to cross communicate with someone who is on whatsapp without having to be whatsapp itself. I heard that the pidgin messenger on linux used to have a whatsapp plugin but whatsapp changed so this stopped working.

Edited by rp88, 29 December 2017 - 11:29 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users