Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

back to Windows 7 from 10

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 boilermaker27

boilermaker27

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

I am totally fed up with Windows 10.  It just upgraded and now it is worse than before.  I have a system image of Windows 7 made in 2011 and was wondering if I insert this disc if it will erase Windows 10 and reinstall Windows 7.  I know it will be a chore and I know that I will have to save a heck of a lot of material and that I will also lose some, but believe me, to me the trade off is worth it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

First the answer is yes - if you have an image you made of the c: drive on the system you are currently using you can restore it and it will completely overwrite everything currently on the c: drive. You will need to run Windows update after the restore and given the fact it's been 6 years, that will take a while. And as you point out, all programs will need to be reinstalled.

BUT - before you do any of that - what exactly is the concern with Windows 10? If it's just the interface it's simple enough to get it close to W7 with Classic Start Menu. Tell us what the issues are and maybe we can help you get W10 to a point where you're comfortable with it.

#3 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:46 AM

the issue is the latest update.  Windows 10 was constantly asking me if I wanted to upgrade my Windows 10 so as to have all the new features, I kept putting it off and as usual there was nothing to click saying "no thanks".  Last week it upgraded by itself and I don't like any of the new features.  For one I can't stand Cortana and I can't find any way to just have the search bar without Cortana.  I had just the search bar on Windows 10 previously, but now if I get rid of Cortana by right clicking on the taskbar and doing what I needed to do to get rid of Cortana, the search bar also disappears.  I was playing some of the solitaire games and with the new upgrade that has totally changed.  The upgrade didn't even set my clock right, after the update my clock was five hours slow.  I think there are also some other features that report back to Microsoft.  I think the upgrade was for one reason only and that was to shove a bunch of crap down my throat which is either hard or impossible to get rid of.  I just don't like it, but if you can make it more like Windows 7, I may reconsider, but I must say, I didn't like Windows 10 from the outset and they didn't make it clear that unless I rolled back within 30 days, I could not roll back, kind of sneaky in my opinion.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

Well, as I said you might want to try Classic Shell as a first step:  http://www.classicshell.net/ 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

The developer gave up on Classic Shell because of the constant Windows 10 upgrades. It will get to a point, unless somebody else picks up development, where Classic Shell will no longer function on Windows 10.

There were few factors that led to my decision:
1) Lack of free time. I have other hobbies that demand my time, some related to software and some not. It requires a lot of effort to add new major features to Classic Shell and keep it relevant. Even keeping it running on newer version of Windows is a lot of work. That leads me to point #2

2) Windows 10 is being updated way too frequently (twice a year) and each new version changes something that breaks Classic Shell. And

3) Each new version of Windows moves further away from the classic Win32 programming model, which allowed room for a lot of tinkering. The new ways things are done make it very difficult to achieve the same customizations

http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8147

If you have a valid Windows 7 key you can always do a clean install using install media using this program. Opt out of sharing resources if it asks. Pick your version. 

It would be best to reinstall your image if you decide to go back to 7. Back up your Activation files using Advanced Tokens Manager. Unzip the folder on the Windows 7 desktop. Run the program and click on the Activation Backup button. Make a note of the key it finds and write it down. When finished the button changes to Activation Restore. Copy the unzipped folder to a USB key. This will allow you to do a clean install should you decide to do so.

Use the the DVD you created from the iso downloader program and the key found by Advanced Tokens Manager to install. Once installed copy the unzipped folder back to the desktop and click the Activation Restore button.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 December 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:52 AM

The developer gave up on Classic Shell because of the constant Windows 10 upgrades. It will get to a point, unless somebody else picks up development, where Classic Shell will no longer function on Windows 10.

Yes, I'm aware. But for now it works. If the OP likes it there are other, similar options that will continue to be available. For now, Classic Shell is probably best of breed and free - AND it still works ;)

#7 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

I am a bit confused.  My Asus computer did not come with a Windows 7 disc, so I don't have a key, so I can't use the Windows download tool.  I did make the system image disc along with the repair disc for Windows 7.  So, I take it if I save everything that can be saved and run the system image disc then I will be back to Windows 7?  unfortunately, there is just too much that I don't like about Windows 10.  My other option would be to buy a Windows 7 disc online but if the system image will work, then that would be the way to go?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

You should have a COA sticker on the bottom or side of the computer with a legible key. If you have that you can do a clean install using the program I linked to, the Windows iso downloader. This will let you download a Windows 7 iso of your version, home or pro. If you have home then select the COEM version in the list. Edit: You would need to do a phone activation.

If you do not have a key then you would install Windows 7 using your image. Backup the Activation Token with Advanced Tokens Manager along with the key it finds. Install Windows 7 using the iso you downloaded. Once installed you could restore your Activation and be activated.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 December 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#9 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

I did find a sticker on the backside of the computer and I called Asus just to make sure that it was the Windows 7 activation key, which they said it was.  So according to them I can do a clean install and use the tool you talked about to download a clean version, or I can use the image disc which will give me the Windows 7 version with all the settings I used when I made the disc.  Either way I will be back to 7 and away from this nightmare 10.  Last week when my windows was upgraded without my permission was the last straw, they want more control, I want less.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

If you decide to use the image then use Advanced Tokens Manager to save your key and Activation Files. Note: This key will be different than the one on the side of the computer. This is a SLP key that is used in combination with the SLIC BIOS and certificate to auto activate the OS. Because ASUS ships thousands of units it's easier for them to use one key for activating all of them.

If you decide to do a clean install after restoring your image and not using the COA key straight away you can save COA key and use the Advanced Tokens Manager to activate your system. You would need to use the key found by ATM and not the one on the COA sticker. Once installed you would copy the folder of ATM to the desktop and click Activation Restore. 

If you decide to skip restoring the image and go with the clean install using the COA key you will need to do a phone activation. See the below guide on doing a clean install of Windows 7.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

#11 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

another question.  When I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 I had 30 days to go back to 7 and if I did not do so within the 30 days then Windows 10 either deleted the Windows 7 files or disabled them, or, that's what I understand happened.  My question is did Windows 10 remove, delete, or make the key for Windows 7 unusable?  I would hate to do the install only to find that the key does no longer work?

#12 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

I'm with you 100% boilermaker , Win 10 is horrific . After a bios update a few days ago i lost Win 7 but i had a disk for Win 10 and decided to see if it was any less atrocious than it was when i used it for 6 weeks back when i came out.  It's still packed solid with garbage that i have absolutely zero interest in and like you said is much harder than it should be to get rid of it.

I can't stand it but love Win 7 though , much less cluttered and simple to navigate.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

another question.  When I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 I had 30 days to go back to 7 and if I did not do so within the 30 days then Windows 10 either deleted the Windows 7 files or disabled them, or, that's what I understand happened.  My question is did Windows 10 remove, delete, or make the key for Windows 7 unusable?  I would hate to do the install only to find that the key does no longer work?

No the Windows 7 key is not unusable as far as I know. A person can go back to Windows 7 and it will still be activated, especially if you go back to Windows 7 using your System Image as that uses the original OEM SLP key and SLIC BIOS to auto activate Windows.

I personally upgraded to Windows 10 during the free period but I created a complete disk image of my drive using Macrium Free. Other programs that can do this are Aomei Backupper and Easeus Todo Backup. I played around with Windows 10, decided it wasn't for me, and reverted back to Windows 7 on the same day by restoring the disk image I created. Windows 7 remainded activated and it was like Windows 10 never existed. 

#14 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

I am working on saving valuable data, pictures, internet savings etc. but was wondering if there are any free programs that would help me save some of this stuff?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

You can either save them by copying and pasting the programs to the recovery drive or use a program like Easeus to create a backup of your USERS directory. In your case it's probably easier to simply copy your USERS directory to your recovery drive along with any backups of your browser bookmarks unless your data is somehow outside of the USERS directory or on another partition of the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users