Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Reader DC installation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vev46

vev46

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this in.  If not, please advise.

I've been running Adobe Reader X on my PC for quite a while, perfectly happy, and over the holidays, I notice my reader was changed to Adobe Reader DC, which I detest.  Some functions have changed, it looks way different, and all my efforts to find the previous version for download have been unsuccessful.  I have found instructions on what site to access to download the non-DC version that I had, but the only available version is the DC one.  I had always resisted the DC "update", but somehow it got in there, perhaps through a recent Windows Update I did that I was negligent to look at closely.  I sure hope there's an answer somewhere out there.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

It seems Adobe is discontinuing the Adobe Reader and want People to move to the DC version...

You can get the latest Adobe Reader 11 by going to https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/
select Operating System Windows XP SP3, Language and version Reader 11.0.0.8, make sure you uncheck all the offers in the middle of the page before clicking Download Now (they are not needed).

After installing Adobe Reader 11.0.0.8 make sure you install the latest security update 11.0.23 available on this link: http://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=6277

Inside the program you have to disable Updates or the program will offer you again the newer DC version.

Edit: In terms of Security it is not recommended to use outdated versions, if you don't like the DC version its probably better to look for other alternatives like PDF-Xchange Viewer or others.

Edited by SleepyDude, 28 December 2017 - 11:13 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

I don't know if you are interested, but for years I have been using Foxit free pdf reader. You also can create your own pdf files super-easy. I even used it at work for years. Just a thought. It won't slow your computer and is very fast.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 vev46

vev46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

Thanks SleepyDude, this worked, but I had to choose a particular option in a box that opened the first time I ran it, (can't recall what it was, I think it came up because I'm running Win 7/64 Home Prem).  I could not see how to disable updates to prevent being offered the DC version again.  I clicked on "Check for Updates", and the result was a box that says "Adobe Reader XI is no longer supported", and a recommendation to upgrade to the latest version (DC), with a link to it.  So is there a way to disable updates, and how likely is it that it will again upgrade to DC without my knowledge if I cannot choose to disable updates?

Thanks 

Thanks SleepyDude, this worked, but I had to choose a particular option in a box that opened the first time I ran it, (can't recall what it was, I think it came up because I'm running Win 7/64 Home Prem).  I could not see how to disable updates to prevent being offered the DC version again.  I clicked on "Check for Updates", and the result was a box that says "Adobe Reader XI is no longer supported", and a recommendation to upgrade to the latest version (DC), with a link to it.  So is there a way to disable updates, and how likely is it that it will again upgrade to DC without my knowledge if I cannot choose to disable updates?

Thanks 

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

Hi,

To disable updates you have to change the registry... https://answers.acrobatusers.com/disable-automatic-updates-reader-q208400.aspx

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users