Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emisoft Anit-Malware software on its own or...?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mesmerized84

mesmerized84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:38 AM

Hello all,

I've always used Malwarebytes (both free and paid versions at different times) but now I'm considering switching to Emisoft. The thing is that I usually had Malwarebytes running along with another piece of software, a stand-alone anti-virus software. Now I'm thinking about purchasing a complete all-in-one solution.

My question is, what's the best, most "inclusive" choice out there? Should I go for Emisoft and stop there or perhaps get a Total Security suite from Bitdefender? Running both of them at the same time doesn't make much sense, does it? I don't know if BD includes anti-malware, though. 

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

mersmerized84:

Emsisoft is highly respected anti-virus and anti-malware software.  I run Bitdefender and Malwarebytes personally, but I would not recommend running Bitdefender and Emsisoft, since Emsisoft uses the Bitdefender anti-virus engine in its anti-virus component, so I suspect that you might encounter some conflicts.  The choice of computer security products is really very much an individual choice.  There are lots of good products out there, and some that I would not pay a dime for.

I would recommend that you read this article by quietman7, one of Bleeping Computer's foremost computer security experts before deciding what is right for you.

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#3 mesmerized84

mesmerized84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:08 PM

Thanks so much, Phil! It does help indeed!

Would you be able to offer further comments on BitDefender? I was wondering if BitDefender Total Security would enough to get. Does it protect against ransomware? I could also optionally keep the free edition of Malwarebytes.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, do you also have the Windows Defender on?

Edited by mesmerized84, 28 December 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Most Internet Security products include anti-virus and firewall protection plus various other features depending on the software vendor...and for those reasons it is called a Security suite (package). I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources...leaving a larger footprint...and they typically cost more money. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in Firewall is sufficient and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality, more effective at what they are designed to do and leave a smaller footprint. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring program settings and usage.Starting with version 2017.8, Emsisoft merged Emsisoft Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware and now relies on the built-in Windows Firewall and their Firewall Fortification feature which blocks illegitimate manipulations of Windows Firewall rules to ensure its settings cant be manipulated by malware from the inside.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

mesmerized84:

Bitdefender does protect against ransomware, as does Malwarebytes Premium.  They go about it in different ways and they co-exist peacefully.  Personally, as quietman7 explained above, I prefer to have a security app designed primarily for detecting and remediating virus, worm, trojan infections, and then a second security app dedicated to preventing and removing adware, browser hijackers, etc.  I personally prefer to prevent malware infestations rather than clean them out later; hence the reason that I also use Malwarebytes Premium.

I have Windows Defender turned off on my computers to prevent possible conflicts between it and Bitdefender, which is quite "territorial." :)

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#6 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

I was trying to decide between Emsisoft and Bitdefender Family pack.  I switched to Kaspersky about 2 years ago after a major virus that wrecked my network and my desktop.  I couldn't save the desktop though.  Everytime I hardwired it in to the internet it would change logins or change the system date to disable Kaspersky.  Then I got overclocking errors in the Bios, I don't overclock, and now it will no longer boot up.  Last year I put in a new router with a completely different network name and password so I hope I have things resolved now, but that computer was never placed back on the network.   :unsure:   

I have tried several different 30-day trials, Emsisoft, Malwarebytes 3.0, and I think they have all been okay.  I am just uber sensitive to the protection of my network anymore.  Kaspersky has been okay, but I cannot get it to download the virus definitions automatically (very annoying).  It has also been a resource hog on some of my computers so I want to go a different direction.  

Honestly, Emsisoft was my first choice because it seems very light on the resources.  I have my reservations now that the different products have been combined into a single Anti-Malware solution  Some of the stuff they are doing makes sense, fortifying the windows firewall, but it just feels like it would not be as effective as other security suite solutions.  My second choice was Bitdefender Family Pack.  I think this may have more to do with the research I have been doing on the Bitdefender Box 2.  I know that the Box is probably unnecessary and overkill, but again anything I can do to thwart an attack or an existing trojan from getting out would be a huge bonus.  I don't think there is anything left on my network, but I am not 100% convinced of that anymore. 

I just wish there was one clear cut solution that would protect me, but with all of the devices (Internet of Things) it is impossible to know anymore. I just feel like there is something hiding in a dark crevice waiting to come out an bite me again.   

Edited by Scott Stoef, 29 December 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:29 PM

See my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program for more specific details as to why I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

#8 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

Funny, I was in the middle of reading that post.  That is a lot of information to absorb, but that is why you are the expert!  

Edited by Scott Stoef, 29 December 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#9 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:39 AM

Funny, I was in the middle of reading that post.  That is a lot of information to absorb, but that is why you are the expert!  

hello Scott, feel free to ask me any questions about Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Edited by Umbra, 01 January 2018 - 05:40 AM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#10 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:02 AM

Hi Umbra,

I went ahead and got a subscription to Emsisoft AM (EAM).  Are there any additional add-on tools you would recommend using to ensure a better protection?  I usually run SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) and Malwarebytes (MB) as additional tools. I will occasionally scan with ESET Online scanner as well just to make sure things are okay. It sounds like SAS and MB scans may no longer be required due to conflicts.   

#11 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

Hi Umbra,

I went ahead and got a subscription to Emsisoft AM (EAM).  Are there any additional add-on tools you would recommend using to ensure a better protection?  I usually run SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) and Malwarebytes (MB) as additional tools. I will occasionally scan with ESET Online scanner as well just to make sure things are okay. It sounds like SAS and MB scans may no longer be required due to conflicts.   

With EAM you don't need more real-time scanners, maybe one or two on-demand scanners (like ESET OS you mentioned).

In my opinion, SAS is not really needed anymore, MB may be still useful (especially the free version)  but they sell themselves, for the paid version, as a full AV (not a companion anymore). 

Optional tools that may increase your overall protection/privacy are:

- a good adblocker since malware can now be delivered via ads' redirections. 

- a sandbox software, so what happening during your surfing is contained and can't spread to the real system.

- a VPN, so sites/attackers won't get your real IP adress.

As you can see there is plenty of tools but you have to figure what are your "weaknesses" and then find the right application. :)

Emsisoft Community Manager

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

To protect your browser, privacy, help prevent advertisements & block websites, I generally recommend one or more of the following:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users