Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to speed up Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dippster

Dippster

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:08 AM

Started using an old Desktop Hard Drive with Windows 7 and it's so slow!

It's a HP Pavilion, Model AY627AAR, 3 GB Ram, 64-bit.  Hard disk 298 GB, 244 GB Free, NVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430., Dedicated Graphics Memory 256MB, Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet.

I did a check on it as it shows 3.2 score.  Any suggestions?  Can I delete all the HP programs shown as last update 2010?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:32 AM

You say you started using an old drive with Win 7 already installed. Was the installation of the OS done on the same system with which you are currently using it or another?

And when you say it's slow, EXACTLY what is slow?

And no, deleting programs will have no impact on performance (unless the HD is close to capacity).

#3 Dippster

Dippster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

The Performance Test showed 3.2.  My other hard drive Win. 7 is 4.9.

As I've deleted programs that I was sure were not needed.......it got faster so I thought even more deleted would help.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

Was the hard drive from that machine or another one???

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Dippster

Dippster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

It's an old Desktop Hard Drive which has been sitting in the basement for about 4 years.  It was soooooooooo slow and now it's doing much better.  I used the link "Speed up Windows 7" that was forwarded to me on this site and it seems to help alot.

Also when using those direction it said to get rid of old programs that you will never use.  There are so many HP Assistant files that I'm getting rid of all of them next.  I'll have a new computer when this is done.  Then I'll be working on my other Win 7 Desktop which has a block on the Firewall.  I'll probably be back here for help again.

Thanks.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

Sounds like it was from another machine, it is quite surprising that it works at all.  I am willing to bet that is the entire problem!  To maxinize what you have I would make two changes, up the ram to 4 0r more depending on what the board will accept.  The other very best hing is to install an SSD drive, the speed will flip you out.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

I agree with the post above regarding the fact that a drive with an OS installed on one computer should not work in a different computer unless the hardware is identical to the first. And again, unless the hd is full (or nearly full), simply uninstalling programs will have zero effect on performance.

But okay, if you're happy that's all that matters :)

Edited by Allan, 28 December 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

Just to clarify, a Hard Drive is this:
s-l225.jpg

Not this:
$_35.JPG?set_id=2

Dippster, the question is whether you have installed the Hard Disk Drive from another computer into this one, or whether you are meaning you've started to use an old computer, as is.

If the system is simply as specified, an HP Model AY627AAR, that is a very slow computer. You're probably not going to be able to do much more to speed it up. For example, here is a benchmark comparison of the Sempron fitted to it, with CPUs that would run Windows 7 fast:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Sempron+LE-1250

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Dippster

Dippster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

Thanks to you all, but I found a link to Speed Up my Win 7 Computer.  Followed directions.  Then continued deleting programs that had been stuffed in and NEVER needed, and now I have a Computer that runs clean and swift.  No complaints!

#10 bles16

bles16

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

refers to the performance of the rating, is an analysis that makes the PC. for Windows 7 what it does is activate the AERO glass mode, it does not depend on any program, it is examining the speed of the hard disk the speed of the data transfer.

If the installation was clean, start with applications that your system will surely need. starts the necessary program, from msconfig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users