Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop using 90% RAM when internet is connected!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rc47n5

rc47n5

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:18 AM

Hi!

My daughter was gifted a used laptop for Christmas that she needs to use for homework.  I uninstalled some programs she wasn't interested in (mostly games) because it was so slow.

I have found that after the uninstalls the RAM usage starts around 26% (that is, after I can get Task Manager started), then it rises to 45-50%. But when I open Firefox, the Ram stays steady. When I connect the CAT5 cable, the RAM usage runs  quickly to 90%- and I can't get any web sites. I also cannot get any applications to run, if they respond at all. Something is using RAM while connected to the Internet?

Previous owner removed some items, not sure what- they left bookmarks (I deleted them) pictures (I deleted thousands) and website logins (now gone). I am just wondering what was deleted.

Computer- Toshiba Satellite A505 laptop- Windows 7 Home Premium

Thanks!

rc47n5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:59 AM

I suggest a clean reinstall of Windows 7. See if the original hdd is being used and if the Recovery partition exists.

If it is the original hdd with the recovery partition then reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows 7 could be done without

internet connection. Once that is done then immediately attempt to connect to the internet and Windows Update.

Restore Toshiba Laptop to Factory Settings

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rc47n5

rc47n5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Good day,

Computer doesn't seem stable, it has started CHKDSK twice on boot, usually needs forced shutdown.

Cannot determine whether I have a "recovery partition" for certain, but I did see a lot of .cab files, I need to look for them. I would like to do a re-install of Win7.

Thanks!

rc47n5

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

The link in my first post gives instructions for using the recovery partition.

It is always best...regardless of how well the computer performs....to reformat and reinstall the OS for security and safety reasons

on a used computer.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 rc47n5

rc47n5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

Now laptop freezes after desktop loads. However- I can use the internet with no problems with Safe Mode w/ networking.  I looked over an error log, and the most common error was failure to load localhosts. But I can access using safe mode. Still have found no evidence of a partition.

rc47n5

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

Have you attempted to use the Recovery Partition by following the directions in the link I posted?

If you need further help in reinstalling Windows 7 you can start a new topic in the Windows 7 Forum.

#7 rc47n5

rc47n5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:16 PM

Where do I find the Recovery Partition?

rc47n5

#8 rc47n5

rc47n5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

There are references to "partition" in System Information. but I cannot see these partitions listed with the drives.

rc47n5

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:45 AM

Have you attempted to do this: ? Using the Recovery Partition

It's now time to proceed with the factory reset. Before proceeding, please be aware that this factory reset will erase all of the data on your hard drive. It is extremely important to back up any important data. Make sure the computer is connected to a power supply, and do not switch it off or restart it during the process.

Press and hold down the power button for ten seconds to switch off your machine. Next, press and hold the 0 key and, at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your PC. When the machine starts beeping, release the 0 key.

A warning message will appear on-screen, prompting you to verify your system recovery. Select Yes to continue.

Next, select the Recovery of Factory Default Software option, followed by Next. Then choose Recover to out-of-box state, and click Next once more to start the recovery.

#10 rc47n5

rc47n5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

Following instructions per last post. Nice WARNING image!

Last night, CHKDSK spent about 2.5 hours doing it's thing. Apparently a scheduled task. A little much.

My daughter will be pleased. I will be relieved.

Thanks!!!

rc47n5

#11 rc47n5

rc47n5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

System seems to be in a loop constantly "configuring system" and restarting.

rc47n5

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

I was composing the below when I saw you posted again...serious problem...could be a bad hdd or bad image on the Recovery partition.

Please start a new topic in the Windows 7 Forum describing the problem.

Update Windows 7 immediately. It won't be much fun...will likely take half a day. Good that you were able to reinstall Windows.

Once you have the computer the way you want it with the necessary school programs, etc. You should consider cloning the drive

or making an image of the drive. Windows 7 has the tool necessary for doing that.

You should also make a System Repair Disk.....How to Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc [Easy]

#13 rc47n5

rc47n5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

"Now Rating System Performance"

hoping this will get finished with it all....

rc47n5

#14 rc47n5

rc47n5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

Computer is restored. Internet access works. Daughter will be pleased.

Thank you for hanging in there!

rc47n5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users