Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did Congress repeal Net Neutrality

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

Recently I got a letter in the mail from my Congressman and he was explaining the importance of Net Neutrality and also what they did with with Net Neutrality but I was little confused with the language of the letter something about title one. :scratchhead:

So did Congress repeal Net Neutrality or did they preserve it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:50 PM

Neither *yet*, but organizations such as the EFF are trying their hardest to find every which way to get congress to over throw it.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

'Net Neutrality' was never a law passed by Congress, but rather simply an FCC rule.  The FCC decided to change the rules and discontinue the policy.  That occurred a couple weeks ago.  So far the internet hasn't fallen apart.

There are some groups that are now lobbying Congress to pass 'Net Neutrality' as a law. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

I see where the big money corporations (Comcast & ATT) have made some large donations to influence the minds of those who control them.  If it comes to what they propose, many will simply depart their usage and find other methods because of the cost of the access and the loss of privacy as far as the ISP is concerned.  If every site you visit and all your e-mails become property of the ISP and can do whatever they want with that info, I will refrain from using it.  This style of governing will surely kill the web as we know it today.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

This style of governing will surely kill the web as we know it today.

A very USA-centric viewpoint if I may say so. So Ajit Pai has decided, contrary to most advice and after a very dubious 'consultation' program, to revert to an earlier version of the rules. These are the rules for telcoms and ISPs operating in the USA and nowhere else. They have no direct effect on telcoms and ISPs operating in say the UK, India or indeed China. The internet is not going to collapse because of this but its operation in the USA may change.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

'Net Neutrality' was never a law passed by Congress, but rather simply an FCC rule.  The FCC decided to change the rules and discontinue the policy.  That occurred a couple weeks ago.  So far the internet hasn't fallen apart.

There are some groups that are now lobbying Congress to pass 'Net Neutrality' as a law. 

The irony in that is that lobbying is what got us into this mess in the first place. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users