Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fnm*.tmp Files Are Filling My Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Nigel_95

Nigel_95

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:36 AM

Hello, I am a new member and I hope you can help me. (excuse the following essay, I want to give as much relevant info as possible)

About a month ago I had various problems with my PC which is running Windows XP SP2 (home edition) and decided to rebuild it. One of the problems was that my hard drive was being filled with fnmXX.tmp files (XX = 24, 8A etc). These files can only be found if you search for hidden files. The files come in pairs. One is 8,908 KB, the other 5,230 KB. I found them when investigating why C:\ was running out of space.

They are located in C:\Documents and Settings\MY NAME\Local Settings\Temp.

Before the rebuild, I was running regularly updated Norton internet security, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE and Spycatcher express, and none of these reported anything infecting my computer.

Just prior to the PC rebuild, I formatted each partition on my HD (sorry can't be sure whether I was allowed to format C at the end).

Subsequent to the rebuild (PC is faster), I have re-installed all the above bar Spybot S&D. No problems are reported when I scan my PC.

The problem is, I'm still getting those files. Yesterday, I got six on my pc, today (so far) I have two. All can be deleted except those with todays date.

Where are they coming from? And how can I stop them filling my PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:53 AM

They may be restore points.

Try right clicking on one and choosing properties and see if it tells you what program thay are associated with.

#3 Nigel_95

Nigel_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the reply. Properties does not reveal what program they are associated with.

EDIT: I have just opened one of yesterdays files with notepad and it is string of characters which mean nothing to me. Windows didn't know what to open it with, I chose notepad.
Nigel

Edited by Nigel_95, 27 September 2006 - 10:20 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:46 AM

Files that cannot be deleted in that temp folder are actively in use and you will get an error message stating as such when you try to delete them. That is normal and they usually have the date when you logged on to your computer.

Although malware can hide in your temp folders, there are legit reasons for files being there. See Temp Files Explained and Where Do All Of These Temp Files Come From?.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

I do not have such a file on my drive, so you can eliminate Spybot or Ad-Aware as the source of these files. Since these files come in pairs, and in a consistent fashion, they may be something Norton is dumping on your drive.
Do these pairs of files have any naming pattern that you can discern? What do the dates of these files indicate (which of the two comes first)(do you get more than one pair a day?)
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Nigel_95

Nigel_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:21 AM

Thank you for the replies so far.

quietman7.
I know I would normally have temp files on the computer. The issue here is mainly the size of them and not knowing whether or not it is malicious software that is generating them. If it is not, it is obviously poorly written.

jgweed.
I think I get two files every time I boot the computer. Todays are fnm4F.tmp and fnm44.tmp. Both have exactly the same time stamp (which looks like the time I booted up).

Yesterdays run as follows: 8F, 84, 8B, 85, 4B, 6C. Oddly the last pair differ in timing by seven minutes, the other four are in matched pairs. Looking through ones I havn't deleted from the recycle bin yet, there are other pairs with timing mismatches of a few minutes.

EDIT: PS. I am off to cook dinner now. Will reply to any posts later on

Thanks,
Nigel

Edited by Nigel_95, 27 September 2006 - 11:24 AM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

Well, if they are temp files they can be deleted.

Click on your "MY Computer" icon
Right click on the drive they are on
press the Disk Cleanup button

It will scan the computer and populate the list
Let it delete the temp files.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:05 AM

I quick cruise around the web reveals some interesting possibilities:
1) Could be related to Java
2) Could be related to website admin (programs like Python, etc)
3) Could be malware.

I'd suggest trying this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/

And then I'd remove Java and javascript from your system - then test to see if the problem still occurs.

Then I'd remove all web related stuff - and then see if the problem still occurs.

You also may be able to see something if you search your system for files accessed around the time that these were created - then you'll have a list (probably a huge one) to see if you can identify anything else that might be doing it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Nigel_95

Nigel_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

Thanks usasma, your list of checks contains some useful possibilities which I will investigate. I too had checked the web (with Google) and apart from a few references, did not find any really useful info.

Nigel

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:24 AM

Usually, if you can't find any information via Google that's cause to be suspicious.

Since the internet is so huge, most problems have been posted somewhere on it. So, if you can't find anything out - then the problem must be a fairly new one.

And most of the new problems can reveal some possibilities with a properly focused Google search.

But, the stuff that doesn't respond to this tactic are usually malware that hasn't been identified yet.

So the odds are that if you can't find a problem with Google - it's most likely malware.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 computerman

computerman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:12 PM

I am having the same problem. I just got rid of almost a thousand of the fnm.tmp files. Freed up lots of space. However, I am now gettin new ones. Does anyone know of a way to permanately get rid of them? Any help appericated.

#12 computerman

computerman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:04 PM

Just want to add that these fnm*.tmp files are acting like viruses. They continue to be added. Each one is about 9 mbs. So far no anti virus/ anti spyware has done anything to them.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

It's possible that these aren't viruses, but are remnants of a program that doesn't delete it's temp files. I'd take and inventory of your startups and services to see if there's anything out of the ordinary there. Post a list of them and we can take a shot at weeding them out.

#14 kenny-d

kenny-d

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:45 AM

Hi, first Post.

I just wanted to add I am having the same problem. I just discovered it because my temp folder is not somewhere i visit often. I knew I was running out of space but did not know why.

Turns out I had over 15 GIG of these FNM temp files. Is there any new thoughts on the idea.

I would suggest this problem is far more widespread but people have not worked it out yet.

I was thinking it may be something to do with the "windows xp not being genuine" message that now comes up all the time

I also have an issue with my sound. I wonder if the original poster (Nigel) has any of the above.

I have no idea what the problem is and this is the only site that has a reference to it. I think there will be others with the same.

#15 LoJack

LoJack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

I discovered the same problem on my computer. This is the only google search result with relevance. I just discovered that each time I open up Internet Explorer, two of these temp files pop up. I'm the time of person that likes to open up every page in a new window, so my hard drive was filled with a few gigs worth. I'm using a netgear wireless receiver, could that be it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users