Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just bought a new machine and removed the pre-installed Mcafee software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

All I used was the control panel uninstall.

So far, so good.

I am using Webroot.

Some have told me that I need to use an uninstaller or I will have issues.

Is this correct or not?

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2017 - 06:45 PM.
Moved from MRL to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:28 PM

There are likely leftovers. Whether they will cause problems...iffy. Wouldn't be much difficulty to run their

uninstaller/ cleanup. McAfee KB - How to remove McAfee products from a PC running Windows (TS101331)

QUOTE A BIT:

• MCPR will clean up only the components needed for reinstallation. It is not designed to clean up 100% of components.
  • Completing this step will require a restart.

Suggest you run a couple of scans on the new computer to remove adware that sometimes is installed on new computers

and if you have installed free stuff that often is bundled with adware.

Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

Windows 10 will install Candy Crush....you likely would want to uninstall it.

Edited by buddy215, 27 December 2017 - 08:32 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the data, dude....  :clapping:

You DO realize that you are asking me to get rid of stuff by adding even more stuff... :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Just jokin' around with ya, bro...

Have a GREAT Holiday Season!

Edited by LeeFitzsimmons, 27 December 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:08 AM

When I used Windows I used Revo Unistaller Free and then to find all of the leftover crap I used Filelocator Lite Free.

Revo Uninstaller

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Fileloctor Lite

https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite/download/

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#5 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

When I used Windows I used Revo Unistaller Free and then to find all of the leftover crap I used Filelocator Lite Free.

Revo Uninstaller

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Fileloctor Lite

https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite/download/

Thanks for the two download links, Toolman  :bounce:  

Now I'll find an uninstaller for the installed uninstallers.... :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:

BOOYAH  :oopsign:

Thank you, thank you.... How's your steak? I'll be here at the comedy club for the rest of the week!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

FYI from the link provided by buddy215

IMPORTANT: If your McAfee product came pre-installed on your PC:

• Activate your McAfee subscription before you attempt to remove your product.
    This is so that you keep your right to use the product (license) without having to buy a new subscription.

BTW...Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel or to result in various errors due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background.

That is the reason most anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities or removal tools on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling, or for a failed uninstall or failed reinstall. Remnants include related registry entries, files and folders created in various areas of the OS. It's always best to download directly from the vendor's site to ensure you are using the most current version of the uninstall utility as it is not
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users