Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCIE 3.0 x16 slot Not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dimaino

dimaino

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

I bought new pc parts and something isnt working.

My problem is that the top PCIE slot of the motherboard wont all me to post if its plugged in. Im not sure if its the motherboard or the CPU because this is the second motherboard I have tried which is the same brand. I can post with the same card in a different slot I can post with multiple cards in different slots. I have enable pcie gen 1-3 and have also tried 4x4x4x4 instead of the x16 for the slot. Do CPUs allocate pcie lanes to specific slots in the motherboard regardless if there is something plugged in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:52 PM

Hello dimaino,

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the motherboard for us.

#3 dimaino

dimaino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:20 AM

Yes here is my build:
Motherboard: Gigabyte X399 aorus gaming 7 revision 1.0
Processor: Threadripper 1950x
Ram: 8Gb of Teamgroup ram
PSU: HX 1200
Storage: 3 x m.2 250GB Evo
GPU: 2x 1080ti

I have also tried 2 other gpus in the first pcie slot.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:08 AM

When using a single add on GPU the PCI-e 3.0 slot nearest to the CPU is the one that should be used, if that is the one that is not working the board has a problem, looked at the reviews for the board at Newegg, the first page here would put me off tbh, couple of the complaints are to do with PCI-e slots not working.

Edited by PhillPower2, 28 December 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#5 dimaino

dimaino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:49 AM

Okay, thanks PhillPower2.  I'll return the board and see if I can get a different motherboard, maybe a different brand. Just surprised 2 board had the exact same problem.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:00 AM

Was surprised myself to see how many complaints there was for such an expensive board, smart looking board but perhaps too much different technology going on with all the bells and whistles.

Depending on how much time you wish to put into this, you could try experimenting with the SSDs as in just try connecting the one that has Windows on it and try it in the various ports when the GPU is in the PCI-e slot one, it shouldn't make a difference but who knows, as far as I was aware it was only PCI-e 2.0 slots that shared bandwidth with M.2 SSDs and would therefore have issues, daft as it may seem I would also try clearing the CMOS in case of a bad MB setting.

You are welcome btw  :)

Edit: corrected typo.

Edited by PhillPower2, 28 December 2017 - 07:01 AM.

#7 dimaino

dimaino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:31 AM

I actually configured a RAID 0 on the 3 m.2 NVMe drives. So, it uses all of the m.2 ports. Windows is also unable to use the GPU in the first slot. It is actually recognized as the proper GPU model it just says that the device has stopped due to errors. Also the motherboard has certain error codes when trying to POST in the first slot. b2 and 94. I get different error codes depending on if I have CSM enabled or disabled. Also CSM enabled with PCIE in legacy or UEFI doesn't have any difference. I believe I just had terrible luck with the motherboards. Just really surprised they both had the same problem. Also, with the CPU because it gives most of the PCIE lanes out instead of the chipset could it at all be a problem? eg. does it give out different PCIE lanes to slot 1 compared to slot 2-5 or does it just use the first available? I stress tested the CPU and it worked fine and also the GPU for like 8 hours. I also ran memtest just because it can cause errors. Also, I'm not sure how the Threadripper architecture works and could it some how be just the 1 stick or RAM? I have more on the way but doubt its the reason to cause any errors.

b2 - Legacy option ROM initialization
94 - PCI Bus Enumeration for detecting how many resources are requested

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

I believe I just had terrible luck with the motherboards. Just really surprised they both had the same problem. 

Me too but as mentioned there was more than one user reporting the same problem PCI-e problem at Newegg.

Hope that you have far better fortune with any replacement board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users