Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power loss. No BSOD. Not overheating.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LightSailer

LightSailer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hi everyone.

Description of problem

Recently my graphics card (EVGA gtx 780Ti SC) was diagnosed as faulty and replaced with the EVGA 1080 Hybrid. At the same time, cooling paste on the cpu was replaced. An early update to Windows Creators update was also performed (needed that video memory fix). Now a couple of weeks later my pc suffers from seemingly random power losses:

No bsod, no error messages, only a power cut. The pc is immediately able to boot again and works like nothing happened.

To my feeling, it happens the most when using spotify, but it also happens randomly when the pc is running for a long time. The funny thing to me is that it never happens when gaming, which should stress the system the most right? I can game for several straight hours: nothing happens; I open up spotify, 5 minutes in the pc loses power.

Monitoring temps seems to show there is no temperature issue. However the windows logs are filled with a bunch of errors. I tried looking into them but it's hard to distinguish between real issues and service bloat.

(logs: https://screenshots.firefox.com/QHkMOcsyymL9YrNM/www.messenger.com)

Obviously the psu is the main suspect, but I never had any problems with it before. A larger power load due to the extra pump is possible, but I thought the 860 would be sufficient (as the 1080 is also a lot more power efficient). This corsair PSU includes a self test and a led. I have not forced the self test yet, but the led is always green. I will check the cables etc later this week.

Any ideas? Is it dangerous for me to continue to work on this pc? Could it be a faulty application of thermal paste? I kind of need for work.I still have my old 780ti sitting on my desk, I can try swapping it in again.

Thanks for reading and spending time to help people!

When this issue began

After replacing video card (2 months ago).

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue

No specific action is proven to trigger the crash, although I suspect something with the audio connection or the psu. Using spotify is a guarantee to crash sometime soon.

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue

Monitored temps to rule out overheating safety shutdown. I will try clearing cmos this week. Also check if crashes occur with monitor audio output instead of headphones.

Computer Specs

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel i7 4790K: idle 32°C

16gb (2x8) Corsair DDR3 1866 (9-10-9-27)

Asus Maximus Hero VII

NZXT Kraken x60

EVGA GTX 1080 HYBRID

Corsair 860i psu = 860 Watt

Asus PB278 (2560x1440p)

Philips Fidelio L1 (6/7 years old)

Speccy Link

https://ufile.io/9m286

EDIT 1

Cleared cmos (changed ram freq from auto to 1866 tho) and used monitor audio. Power lost 2 hours into spotify.

EDIT 2

Trying my Arch partition on the same machine also using spotify. If it's a hardware issue, the problem should persist right?

EDIT 3

I can confirm now that no crashes occur when using linux.

Edited by LightSailer, 28 December 2017 - 06:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

Have you tried the Spotify App from the Microsoft store?  Many users report that it works much better on Windows 10:

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 27 December 2017 - 06:19 PM.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 LightSailer

LightSailer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hi !

I tried reinstalling from their website, but not with the Microsoft store version. I'll try it asap.

However, I must admit that the issue also occurs sometimes without spotify being the culprit, e.g. when streaming music from youtube.

It's just very noticeable with spotify.

Thank you for your reply !

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

The common complaint with the Spotify program is the PC freezing especially after the fall Creators Update and using the App seems to fix that.  But; if it is also happening in other programs too, you may have a problem with the sound drivers.

Are you using speakers or do things play through the speakers of an HDMI display?

#5 LightSailer

LightSailer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

I am both using front panel audio for my headphones and my monitor speakers through display port.

The issue happens with both of them.

I reinstalled the audio drivers for my motherboard a week ago, but the problem remains.

(Realtek)

As you say, this might actually be a driver issue, as this does not happen in linux.

Could this be a video driver issue? As problems started after installing the new card.

If it is, I feel stupid for not having thought of it earlier =P

I will try to update all of the drivers tonight.

Edited by LightSailer, 28 December 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

The HDMI audio will be on the video card; but, may be a separate driver so check that.

#7 LightSailer

LightSailer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

The problem was solved either by updating the video card drivers or because the microsoft store version of spotify is more stable.

Thanks for your help Davis !

Do I have to take special action to close this thread?

Edited by LightSailer, 30 December 2017 - 03:10 PM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,404 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

The threads are left up so others may benefit!  Glad you got it fixed.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users