Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebuild or repplace 2004 Pentium computer running XP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 salmonarmour

salmonarmour

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

Software to process pictures from my wife's new camera will not run on XP so an upgrade of some kind is required.  Her computer is:

Processor a 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total)
Main Circuit Board b Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4P800 Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080009 12/12/2003
Drives 611.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
289.94 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 [Hard drive] (240.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 14310CD784A2, rev MU05, SMART Status: Healthy
Maxtor 6L250R0 [Hard drive] (251.00 GB) -- drive 2, s/n L60AZXKH, rev BAH41E00, SMART Status: Healthy
ST3120026AS [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 3JT3SJ0J, rev 3.18, SMART Status: Healthy
Memory Modules c,d

1024 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

This is in an Antec SX1040 Performance II tower 4x5.25IN 6X3.5IN 400W ATX12V P/S

Other than photo processing the computer is used only for internet communications, accounting, and a quilting program.  No gaming.

After several days research I am more confused than when I started.  Windows 10 in this build would likely be unworkable so some upgrade is necessary.  Would I be better off to just buy a commercial build or to modify this one.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I am about to the point of going the latter route out of confusion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

at the very least you should upgrade to a supported operating system such as windows 7.....you can get windows 7 these days for less then $20 bucks if you look hard enough

Edited by mikey11, 27 December 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

SSD and hard disks are quite OK, everything else not.

If you can build computer yourself, then you can easily switch SSD and HDD into new machine. Other than those parts, I see no reason to modify your current machine.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

At the minimum...I would consider a refurbished system with either Win 7 or Win 10 installed.  I have some software which won't run on my XP install but it runs fine on Win 7.

"Process pictures"...what does that mean?  Edit, download...exactly what software program are you referring to?

Louis

#5 salmonarmour

salmonarmour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

She uses Adobe Elements 11 but shoots in RAW.  The Adobe DNG version which suits her RAW files is designed for all Windows versions over XP and will not load on it.  Shooting in JPG would solve her computer problem but defeat the purpose of buying a new camera.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

Looks to me as if the simple answer lies HERE.

Seems to me that there are multiple versions of Adobe DNG available for users, with DNG being a free utility.  Methinks that your perceived issues are software-related, not system-oriented.

That being the case...a new/different system would not be an effective solution, IMO.  But if you just want a new system, that's always an option open to you and any other computer-user.

Louis

#7 salmonarmour

salmonarmour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

As far as I can find the only versions of the Adobe DNG converter which will work in XP do not cover her camera.  The camera manufacturers keep modifying their RAW formats and Adobe has to keep up to keep Photoshop usable. Adobe seems to have stopped supporting XP in the later versions of the converter which are the only ones to manage the RAW version produced by her camera. The camera manufacturer in this case publishes a program which will work on XP but it is very awkward to use and slow so the Adobe route is better if we can get a converter adapted to that RAW format.

It looks like XP is becoming totally outdated so this seems a good time to update.  If Windows 7 is available, as mentioned above, that would be my preferred route.  W10 has given me far too much grief.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

The only issue then I think is whether these older versions of Adobe DNG that work on XP support the camera model in question.  There's also GIMP which has a RAW plugin available.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:06 PM

A possible thought!  # year warranty!!!!  Start fresh!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-DUAL-CORE-3-3-GHz-8GB-1TB-DVD-WIN-7-PRO-64-POWER-PC-3-YEAR-WARRANTY/120708486118?hash=item1c1ac953e6:g:sngAAOSwldRZ-nfN

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

Moved from Internal Hardware to Graphics Design.

Louis

#11 salmonarmour

salmonarmour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Thanks to all who provided suggestions.  I have about decided to pull out the drives and replace the computer with something a bit more up to date.  The old computer is o/s as of yesterday when a CheckDisk of C drive was hijacked by Windows update.  All I can get is a blank screen, even in safe mode.  The boot order was changed but that has been reset with no improvement.  Every restart attempts to do a checkdisk which, if allowed to continue, finds no problems in the disk then progresses to the blank screen.  As the decision is to replace the machine I will not bother to try to resolve the problem but just mention it here for interest sake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users