Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell issued BIOS update rendered computer unusable.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

I have had a Dell XPS 8900 since late December of last year , no issues and never needed to use the warranty which ran out 5 days ago. Dell provides all updates to their specific computer models and i have kept it updated when i am notified of an update .

Well a few days ago Dell issued a BIOS update and listed it as urgent so i downloaded and installed as i have done in the past .  The update said completed successfully like i have experienced in the past .

Unfortunately my computer will not boot past the "Starting Windows" screen , it freezes and won't move even if left overnight  .  I booted into the advanced recovery options which let me reinstall from an image i had on an external HD .

That completed successfully but when the computer restarts it freezes at the "Starting Windows" screen again and will not budge for hours on end .

After a while of trying and trying i decided to try and reinstall and boot off a USB that has Dells Win 7 ISO on it , well it starts out OK but freezes again when it gets to the "Completing installation" screen and stays like that for hours on end .

That has been tried twice with the same result .

Dell tech support says that since my warranty ran out 5 days ago i would have to renew it for $283.00 per year , i said " I'll pretend i didn't hear that" because it was Dells fault for providing me with this bad update that effed my machine up.

I said let me get this straight , Dell provides all the updates for the computer and has been since the beginning and you release a bad one and it's my fault !!!!!!!!!  

So now i'm stuck with a year old computer that Dell refuses to take responsibility for because their update that they listed as urgent killed my computer .  A Dell tech said it's not possible for me to revert back to the old BIOS. 

Warranty ran out 5 days ago .

Edited by herbman, 27 December 2017 - 02:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Hi,

Please post the machine Service Tag.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

The service tag is 85V9JG2.

Bios was 2.1.10 and when upgrading to 2.2.1 it made the computer unusable.

Edited by herbman, 27 December 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

Did you enter the BIOS and disable/change the UEFI boot options?

If you power on the computer and start pressing F8 can you access the Advanced boot Options?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

Yes , i tried booting from UEFI and Legacy mode and yes i can get into advanced boot options mode.

#6 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

When i switch over and check the boot using UEFI i get a message saying "No bootable device found" i can only enter the advanced options screen when i boot from Legacy mode.

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

A Dell tech said it's not possible for me to revert back to the old BIOS. 

i don't believe that one bit......he probably just doesn't know HOW to do it,

you should be able to download the previous version and FORCE a BIOS flash with it at startup from a USB stick

Edited by mikey11, 27 December 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

For Windows 7 is simpler to use Legacy Mode.

Using the advanced boot options screen select Safe Mode what is the last thing you see on screen?

___
Rui

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

Reversing the BIOS could eventually fail because of the Intel ME Firmware update included on the latest BIOS, also this is a critical update in terms of security.

Edited by SleepyDude, 27 December 2017 - 04:00 PM.

___
Rui

#10 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

I just tried to boot into safe mode and everything started loading and than it froze , it didn't complete . Screens frozen .

Edited by herbman, 27 December 2017 - 04:27 PM.

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

i would suggest trying to boot from a bootable media, such as windows installation USB that is the same as your version of windows,

if you dont have bootable USB you can create one,

then you can try to repair the system from a command prompt.....the fact that your getting to the "starting windows" screen tells me this may not be a BIOS issue

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

I just tried to boot into safe mode and everything started loading and than it froze , it didn't complete . Screens frozen .

In what point?

___
Rui

#13 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

I have already tried to reinstall with the operating system on a USB and it was going along fine but as mentioned in my first post it freezes at the "Completing Installation " screen .

Safe mode froze about halfway through the loading system 32 drivers screen .

Edited by herbman, 27 December 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

Can you copy the last exact line on screen please.

___
Rui

#15 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

Dell called and said since they didn't force me to download the urgent Bios update it's my responsibility , so outrageous .  I will never ever buy a system from them again and neither will my relatives over this incident and how they dealt with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users