Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need to initialise my new drive ??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Carbine9

Carbine9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:51 PM

I make music on my computer, using windows 8.1
I use a huge amount of data as Im dealing with a lot of wav files, vst files, dll files etc.....
I have about 3 external hard drives, but they were all full.

I bought another one yesterday.....a 4TB WD My Passport.

My plan was to move a lot of data onto this new drive. I wanted to move stuff that isn't being accessed on a daily basis, to free up a lot of space on some of the other drives.
All good so far.............

I'd already moved 500GB of data from a partition on another drive, to the new 4TB drive, and I wanted to erase the old partition.
When I opened disc management, it was prompting me to "initialise" the new 4TB drive and describes it as "unallocated". I wasn't prompted to format the drive when I first connected it to the USB, and I can access the data on the drive ok ( I played some wav files ), and it looks normal from the My Computer screen where I can see all my drives and how much data is stored on them.

Should I move all the data back to the original drives again, and format the new drive, or is there no problem with this EXCEPT in the disc management screen ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:06 PM

hard drives these days are sold to be used right out of the box....no need to format them, however you can if you want to....i don't think thats whats causing your issues,

also, when you say you are "moving" or "moved" files from one drive to another, you arn't "moving" them....you are "copying" them.....the two words are very different....those files you copy to the new drive will still exsist in their original location(s) until you delete them (if you want to)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

If you see the external drive/partition in My Computer...there is no need to format.  My Computer can only recognize as useable...formatted drives, while Disk Management should reflect all drives, formatted or not, which are attached properly.

Louis

#4 Carbine9

Carbine9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

hard drives these days are sold to be used right out of the box....no need to format them, however you can if you want to....i don't think thats whats causing your issues,

also, when you say you are "moving" or "moved" files from one drive to another, you arn't "moving" them....you are "copying" them.....the two words are very different....those files you copy to the new drive will still exsist in their original location(s) until you delete them (if you want to)

Thanks. It seemed to me that it was fit for purpose without having to do anything. I assumed it was plug 'n' play like most things these days.

I did actually select "move to" , not copy. Thats why I was asking..............because the orginal partition the data was moved from, is now empty, so I was worried the data had  somehow been changed into RAW format after I moved it to the new drive, and there'd be no way to move it back to its original drive if I had to. I was worried I had somehow lost the data.

This all begs the question....why then does Disc Management still prompt me to initialise the new drive, and why its saying its unallocated when it clearly has 500GB of data on it.
I ran the WD diagnostics and it says everything is absolutely fine.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

why then does Disc Management still prompt me to initialise the new drive

when does it say this?....maybe take some pics?

#6 Carbine9

Carbine9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

hmmm....

When I opened disc management that time, everything was ok.

I have two usb slots on the front of my desktop pc.
I have the 4TB plugged into 1, and an older 320GB ( also WD ) plugged into the other, but I think the slot with the 320 might be a bit faulty and doesn't always read correctly.
Disc management is fine now and everything is showing as "healthy"

I have a new issue though.
Because everything was showing as healthy, I assumed the data had been moved to the new drive and it was safe to delete the old partition ( which is on yet another, bigger,  external drive ).
I right clicked and deleted the partition from within disc management.
It shows as bright green and says I have 150GB of free space, which is great.....but......when i try to view it in My Computer, its not there.
I doesnt seem to have been added onto either of the other 2 partitions on that drive, and doesn't have a drive letter anymore either.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

I'm not completely clear as to whether you can boot into Windows or not.

If you can boot into Windows press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu.

Select Disk Management from the menu.

When Disk Management opens take a screenshot of it and post it in your topic.

Click/tap on File, select Save as.  Select Pictures and provide the image with a title.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users