Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive recovery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gadolinium

gadolinium

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to recover data from a SATA hard drive, currently through a USB drive reader hooked up to another computer.  I think the hard drive is fine physically.  I can access the files and folders at the top menus, but when I try to click on a user folder the reader lags indefinitely, and I'm not sure if this is because of data corruption or windows security features.  Are there any programs I can use to try to recover files when reading from an external drive, or is there anything else I can try to make the disc readable?  Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2017 - 01:21 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

I ran into a similar problem with another poster. Windows froze reading the disk but by booting a linux distro they were able to read and copy their files.

Download Mint Cinnamon. Burn the disk to a DVD by right clicking on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot Mint. Do not input anything until you are at the Mint Desktop. Once at the desktop click the Computer icon on the desktop. In the left pane are your devices. Your internal HDD will be listed along with it's capacity. Attach the HDD using the USB reader. You should see a USB icon appear in the left pane. If Mint is able to mount the drive try opening a few of your files. You can cut and copy files from the USB drive to your internal drive.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

If you have a problem accessing the files with Mint then it could be a case of file system corruption and you would need to scan the drive with recovery software.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

test the drive using the manufacturers software

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:50 PM

test the drive using the manufacturers software

Excellent idea, however, do that after all attempts of data recovery has been done  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 gadolinium

gadolinium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

Thank you for the advice.  I was able to extract everything I wanted once I booted Mint, so it looks like the drive didn't have any serious problems with it.

Edited by gadolinium, 28 December 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:30 PM

Your Welcome,

Firstly, glad you got your data back. Yeah, it a Windows thing. I've mounted drives easily on linux that choked on Windows. Seen that before. After recovering your data you can wipe the disk and reformat it on a Windows computer using Partition Wizard. All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and will not complete until you click Apply. This lets you back out if you make a mistake.

Wipe Disk

Create Partition.  

Edit: I would still do a hard drive test using Seatools for Windows unless the drive is WD in which case you would use their HDD diagnostic software.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 December 2017 - 10:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users