Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Problems? Restarting and stuff.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sharingan5

sharingan5

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:57 AM

This is a long tale, so I'll post my PC specs first:

Intel G630
Gigabyte GA H61M-DS2 rev:2.2
Kingston 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
Seagate 180 GB HDD
Ortis VIP 400-R 400W PSU
Using Windows XP SP3

A month or so back, my house PC began restarting. It was constantly restarting getting as far as the windows login screen sometimes, sometimes even before that. For some reason I thought it might be a heat issue and reapplied thermal paste. (I reseated the RAM in the process, because when I plugged in the PC after changing the paste, I got constant short beeps from POST, which I looked up to mean RAM issue.)

The issue(the original issue, i.e. the constant restarting) went away and I didn't think about it till it began again suddenly. It isn't as constant now. It was very random, happens sometimes, low frequency. (Happened twice a day once, and never other days)

Since I can actually operate the PC this time, I downloaded OpenHardwareMonitor and checked CPU temperatures. It appears to be stable at 38-44 degrees which is well below Intel's thermal bootdown trigger. So it couldn't have been heating.

Then, today, the PC wasn't starting up after pressing the power button. There were some funny lines on the monitor(img link below). I disconnected the power and then turned it back on, this time, before starting the PC, I opened the cabinet door. The Fan opn the heatsink was starting and then stopping after a few seconds repeatedly. NO POST codes or anything. I turned it off, removed the RAM and found a 1 GB Kingston RAM stick I had lying around. Inserted that in the same slot(2nd) that the old RAM was in. Got many short beeps(faulty insertion?). Removed and inserted in the other socket(1st), same thing. Removed and inserted in the original socket(2nd) once more, this time the PC started.

Not sure how to diagnose this problem. Is it the RAM or the Motherboard? Or something else entirely?

I have other parts(from my{soon to be} old PC) that I wanted to transplant into this PC, but I dont want to do that till I'm sure that the motherboard is good. They are:
Intel i7 2600 with after market air cooler
Kingston HyperXFury 8GB 1866mHz
Corsair VS550 PSU

Help much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:28 AM

Hi,

I would replace the PSU with the Crosair if you know that one is working good.

Install the 4GB of RAM and test using https://www.memtest86.com

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 sharingan5

sharingan5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:48 AM

I'll do that. Can you tell me or link to a page that tells me exctly how to test the RAM using memtest? What test to perform, how long, what parameters etc.

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

Its a boot disk/flash drive you don't need to change any parameters...

Let the memory test run until you see "Pass complete..." similar to the following image:
4p1CobF4RFce7vjEZSd1GGaqg.png

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 sharingan5

sharingan5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:37 AM

https://imgur.com/a/QgoBS

Did the tests. Did it for the 1 GB stick first, just to understand how it works and as a precaution. No errors detected.

Then replaced the 1 GB stick for the 4 GB one. The first time I tried to start the PC, got the short beeps. Removed the stick and reinsterted it and it started up fine. 

Ran the test for a long time, just to be sure. But no errors. 

Could it be dust or something of that nature? I'm trying to get an air blower to try clean out the sockets if theres any dust that I couldn't see. 

Should I clear the CMOS or something? 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

From what you posted it sounds like the module may not have been properly seated.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 sharingan5

sharingan5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:50 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2TpNKcZmxz1fCxD8tM3cxb4

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

The Speccy doesn't show a second RAM module, only the 4GB module is shown.  Please post the make and model of the other module.

One of the problems you have is the fact that Windwos XP has not been supported since April 8th 2014.  Not being supported means that there are no Windows XP security updates which help to keep the computer free of infections and updates to the operating system itself.  Internet Explore's latest version was IE 8 which is no longer supported which means that it too is now susceptible to infections as well.  Opera is the only browser I know of that still supports IE 8.  These are just a few of the problems resulting from XP no longer being supported.  

Your installation of XP was made on November 12th 2012, this makes this computer five years old.  This is old enough to have board components like electrolytic capacitors begin to fail or fail outright.  The operating system also takes a toll in the form of file corruption.  In Windows 8.1 and 10 has the ability to repair this file corruption by running the sfc /scannow scan.  XP can run this scan, but repairs have to be made manually.  You might get lucky and be able to us the Last known good configuration option from the Advanced Boot Options.

The only really effective solution would be to do a fresh installation of XP. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 sharingan5

sharingan5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:21 AM

I'll hope that it isn't a board issue. 

It could be that the RAM wasn't seated properly. 

I'll replace the PSU, CPU and RAM as I planned and install Windows 7. If it was a software issue, that would fix it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users