Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with storage space

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 js10

js10

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

I'm having a big problem with storage space on my Andoid device (a Moto G). It says that I have 414 MB of space available, but when I try to download an app that requires 112 MB of space, it says that I don't have enough space. Obviously, 414 is greater than 112, so does anyone understand why it would be giving me this problem?

Also, by the way, with this amount of space, my Gmail app won't sync -- the little wheel keeps on spinning around. Should this happen with this amount of space left on the phone? Either way, is there any way to do anything about it (other than just deleting things)?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

The new app installation or upgrade requires 500 MB (512Mb) of space to be existing freely on your system.

That's why the issue.

I suggest deleting some (useless) WhatsApp forwarded/received videos to free the space above 600Mb. Then retry the installation.

Also at a later point in time take the backup on a desktop and delete the WhatsApp media or move the same to the external memory card.

Hope this should solve your issues.  :thumbup2:

#3 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:55 PM

Hi -- thanks! Just wondering -- how can you tell that 500 is the number? And the problem is that I already deleted all of my videos, so there's only so much more I can delete (storage space REALLY seems to be a problem with this phone).

#4 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:01 PM

Just that I use my android phone way too much :P

How much is the internal storage for your device? All Moto G should come with at least a 16Gb of internal storage.

What I suggest is get an external storage a Sd Card and move all your images and videos onto the card.

Also, uninstall the apps you aren't using.

I suggest installing

1)a cleaner program CM cleaner should do good, and uninstall it after the cleaning.

2)ASUS File manager for checking file managing.

Edited by Hareen, 26 December 2017 - 11:05 PM.

#5 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

Hi Hareen,

Sorry for the delay in response -- got caught up with some other things.

The internal storage is listed as 8 GB. Keep in mind that this is only a 1st generation Moto G (purchased in January of 2015, so just about three years old now). What would be the easiest option (other than getting another phone, of course), I would think, would be to just add more storage space to this phone, but I've heard that that's impossible with a 1st generation Moto G. Do you know if that's correct?

Thanks again.

#6 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:14 PM

You can root the phone and add in your external card as your internal storage which actually removes you the option of removing the card whenever you want.

But that's a bit advanced stuff. Which can actually spoil your phone if improperly done?

If you are interested in doing so please look in google for forum.xda-developers

#7 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

Hareen,

Yes, that sounds REALLY advanced -- please understand that I'm hardly a "techie." Still, thank you for the suggestion!

The bottom line, though, is that it sounds like there is, in fact, no SIMPLE way to add extra storage to a 1st generation Moto G?

#8 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

Not that advanced actually.

All you need is a rooting tool (Kingo root should be good) to root the device; then install twrp; then download a custom rom zip of your choice; reboot to recovery flash it.

If you are doubtful, the forums will explain it in a neat friendly way. ( not that complicated, actually, except they frighten you too much.) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users