Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Computer crashed after Windows update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Carliesnana

Carliesnana

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:59 PM

I hope I am doing this right.  We have a Dell laptop that is about 2 years old. It is Inspiron 20-3052. System Bios 3.1.3. It did a automatic update in which it crashed.  When I turn it on all I get is the black Dell screen.  Doesn't go anywhere after that.  I have tried the F8 button when I turn it on. Sometimes I get A F2 or F12 option. The F12 option wil take me to another screen but I can't make sense of it.

I would appreciate any help, but I am very computer illiterate so I can follow the directions but may have questions, so please be atient with me.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

OK, lets start with what's the version of Windows on the computer (most likely W10 if it's only 2 years old)?

Have you tried the F2 option?  That should let you run diagnostics on the system

When you tried F12, you said you couldn't make any sense of it.  Was this because the screen was scrambled, or that you didn't know what the options were for?
It's not unusual to not know what the options are for in W8/10.

Do you have recovery media to reinstall the OS?  Either from Dell or from Microsoft.

Do you have your data backed up (if you do a clean install it'll wipe out all the data on the system?

What happens if you:

- turn the system on

- let the little circle of dots spin once or twice

- hold down the power button until it shuts off.

- do this 3 times and the system should state that it's checking your system - and then boot to a screen with a bunch of squares and some text.

Does that work for you?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Carliesnana

Carliesnana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

OS is W10. No recovery disc for Dell or Microsoft, which we thought was strange.

I pushed F2 but can't see where I have the option to run a diagnostic o the system.  With the F12 option, I just don't understand what the info means.

When I turn the system on, no circle of dots ever shows up. I go straight to a dark screen that says DELL in the middle.  If I push F9 as soon as the system starts I get a F2 Set up and F12 Boot options but nothing after that.

When I turn it off and on 3 times it starts some kind of test. Asks me if the colored bars showed up. I press yes and it starts another test but stops and tells me "Hard drive 0 -S/N 46BWC67LT, Short test unsuccessful. Then nothing.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:13 AM

It sounds like, somehow, you ran the Dell diagnostics.

The Hard drive short test failed - most likely meaning that you have a bad hard drive.

I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for more detailed advice on how to verify this and how to repair the system:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users