Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not reformat to factory settings

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheStorm50

TheStorm50

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

Hello,

I'm having a odd problem that I've never faced before with a computer. I have a Sony Vaio from around 2013. For some reason it does not want to start up, if it does once in a while it just goes to a black screen where I can see the cursor. Other times I can get it to go into the Recovery screen. Now for background, this was a Windows 8 computer that I upgraded to Windows 10 for free later on. 

So once in a while I can get it to go to the Recover screen. But whenever I try to reformat and delete everything it says: "There was a problem resetting your PC" So I tried to get an ISO file onto a USB and tried to boot it from there. One time it was setting everything up but then again went to a black screen with a currsor doing nothing. But a lot of times I'm just restarting the computer again and again hoping to get to the recovery screen and try to fix it. One time I got it to go to the login screen but then it just froze. Here are some screenshots below of what I saw on my screen. Any help/suggestions? Thank you!

fm3kTZN.jpg

xwrm4HY.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

How to force Windows to open the Recovery options.

1. Press the power button to start the computer.  When Windows begins to boot press and hold the power button until the computer turns off.  This usually will take two or three restarts to do this.  Continue to do this until you see Recovery, select the See advanced repair options.  

2. You will see the option Troubleshoot, select this option.

3. The next option you want is Reset this PC.

This option will reinstall the operating system with the option to keep your personal files.  The downside of this is that this will uninstall all of your third party applications.  There will be an option to view the applications which will be uninstalled, I would suggest copying this list for a future reference.

Edited by dc3, 27 December 2017 - 08:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 TheStorm50

TheStorm50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

How to force Windows to open the Recovery options.

1. Press the power button to start the computer.  When Windows begins to boot press and hold the power button until the computer turns off.  This usually will take two or three restarts to do this.  Continue to do this until you see Recovery, select the See advanced repair options.  

2. You will see the option Troubleshoot, select this option.

3. The next option you want is Reset this PC.

This option will reinstall the operating system with the option to keep your personal files.  The downside of this is that this will uninstall all of your third party applications.  There will be an option to view the applications which will be uninstalled, I would suggest copying this list for a future reference.

So I tried what yous aid once I did that it says the same thing on another blue screen:

"There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

After that only giving me an option to cancel. 

I've never had that happen before.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

you'll need to burn that iso to a dvd using "imgburn", you can't just put it on a usb stick and have it work.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

Just a comment to add here which might prove relevant for future fixes, once your current issue is solved get you system set up how you like it with all your programs installed and then make a system image following the instructions here except that on windows 10 the first few steps are a little different as system images are made from a slightly different place see here here. That way in any future crises you can very quickly get back to a good system state, and system images are often more reliable than the other types of resets. It won't help fix your problems now but it should help you avoid them in future.

Edited by rp88, 27 December 2017 - 06:11 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 bles16

bles16

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:17 PM

I agree with the previous indication the forced shutdown is effective, you know my partner has touched some computers the method I use (mentioned before) bring a switch or button in the part of the power supply connection, or on the other side, bring a button in which you have the option to restore or restore the system to factory or that is where the recovery disk wakes up, luck with the work. caresses your PC anyway, one of the methods will work.

#7 TheStorm50

TheStorm50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

you'll need to burn that iso to a dvd using "imgburn", you can't just put it on a usb stick and have it work.

Thank you all for jumping in on this.

So I put the file on a DVD drive and burned it. Maybe I did the wrong one. But I did the option to restore from the DVD and it restarted the computer now it's sitting with a black screen and the rotating circle of dots has been going for 10 minutes now with nothing else happening. Like I said earlier one time I did it from the USB and it started to do the whole "reformatting" but then froze or stopped for some reason.

Is there a certain file I should pull up for this to burn to the DVD? Or another way?

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:31 AM

I did this , get an 8Gig Usb stick , Download the File with the Media Creation Tool onto the USb and boot from the USB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10.

I used advanced Options from the Recovery Options  , Then Selected See Advanced Options , Use USB Device etc etc.

Inserted the USB , Rebooted and then Select your Version and then procede with Win 10 Installation.

If that fails , you may have a faulty Hard Drive etc , try another Drive or do some tests on that one.

Edited by Havachat, 28 December 2017 - 06:52 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

So I put the file on a DVD drive and burned it. Maybe I did the wrong one. But I did the option to restore from the DVD and it restarted the computer now it's sitting with a black screen and the rotating circle of dots has been going for 10 minutes now with nothing else happening. Like I said earlier one time I did it from the USB and it started to do the whole "reformatting" but then froze or stopped for some reason.

Is there a certain file I should pull up for this to burn to the DVD? Or another way?

When you when to use the disc to boot did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the first device in the boot order is the DVD-ROM and the ssd/hdd as the second device?

If you have any questions regarding burning the ISO to a disc this article should be of use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 TheStorm50

TheStorm50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:11 PM

Guys I want to thank all of you for your help. You rock and I got it reformatted and running smooth again. 

Thanks again to all! 

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:26 AM

So how did you resolve it , or what method ?

So others reading this issue can then do the same , from all the above mentioned answers to try.

#12 TheStorm50

TheStorm50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

Sorry of course. 

So I downloaded the ISO file for Windows onto a DVD and burned it. The USB for some reason did not work. I forced the restart by pushing the power on and off during start-up like above.

Next I went into the BIOS and told it to boot from the disc.

Once I did that it was easy street. It downloaded Windows again for me, now it's working just fine. 

So for me the disc worked better and going into the BIOS worked while all the other options would not.

Again thanks everyone! 

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

TheStorm50, now get the programs you like installed again then make a system image on an external hard-drve before doing anything else. You will not regret doing this.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 TheStorm50

TheStorm50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:59 PM

TheStorm50, now get the programs you like installed again then make a system image on an external hard-drve before doing anything else. You will not regret doing this.

Will do! Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users