Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Reboot Loop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

Hello,

So, my dad's computer has been getting into a reboot loop lately and he asked me to take a look at it. I've tried a few things, but as of yet, nothing has helped, unfortunately. It will occasionally boot, and I am currently trying to get it to boot and then run a sysnative scan but it keeps crashing mid-scan.. It gets stuck into a BSOD reboot loop with the error KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, although I have occasionally seen SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

Things I have tried so far are disabling fast startup, running sfc /scannow (Which fails, saying that it cannot perform the requested operation), running dism (Which returns that the component store is corrupted), and chkdsk, which returns no errors.

Hardware Information:

Lenovo Yoga 2

Windows 10, version 1511 build 10586.420

64-bit

Original OS was Windows 7, and then my dad did the free upgrade to 10. OEM version.

Probably around 2 years old

OS has not been reinstalled, and I'm not sure when my dad upgraded to win10.

It's a laptop with an i5 and integrated graphics I believe.

I will try running memory and hard drive checks since I have not done those yet.

UPDATE: Started a RAM test, less than a minute in and there are already over 6500 errors. Sooo I feel as if there's a very good chance the problem is in the RAM.

Thanks in advance,

sasschary

Edited by sasschary, 26 December 2017 - 12:15 PM.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

UPDATE: Started a RAM test, less than a minute in and there are already over 6500 errors. Sooo I feel as if there's a very good chance the problem is in the RAM.

I agree. :) Stop the test for now, running it further won't do any good. If the machine is NOT under warranty AND after taking the necessary safety precautions, open it up and reseat the RAM stick(s), cleaning out the slots with compressed air. Run MemTest86 again, does it come up with errors? If yes, how many RAM sticks come with the machine (I couldn't find any info online). Try testing one stick at a time to see whether if you can find the offending stick.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 691 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

I just looked up information about the PC online, it seems like the RAM is soldered onto the board. Would it still be potentially helpful to open the laptop and clean it out, even though I can't reseat the RAM?

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

Would it still be potentially helpful to open the laptop and clean it out, even though I can't reseat the RAM?

Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to try. :)

I just looked up information about the PC online, it seems like the RAM is soldered onto the board.

What page did you find that out from? Just curious. :wink:

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 691 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

I found it here.

If cleaning out the computer doesn't work, what would you say is the best way to continue, seeing as how I can't really replace the RAM?

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Ah, I was looking in the manual, which didn't say that. :) Since the RAM is soldered to the motherboard, there's not much you can do. Is the machine still under warranty? If so claim the warranty immediately.

#7 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 691 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

Alrighty, unfortunately the computer is not under warranty any more. Thank you for your help!

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

You're welcome. Feel free to post in the Internal Hardware forums for a second opinion, but as far as I know, the only options are to replace the motherboard or throw the thing out the window. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users