Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64bit stops at windows loading with the 4 color squares.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gjinc

gjinc

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

It all started a few days ago, the wife's computer starter to boot and went to a black screen right after the starting windows logo appeared. I used the repair disk and did a restore to a date before a critical update. Everything worked for a day and same thing. After doing the restore I turned off windows update, system worked for 2 days then same thing. Always goes to black screen at the same place.

So we did a lot of work over on this thread

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/664907/windows-7-64bit-will-not-boot-repair-disk-fails-install-disk-5050/

and this is where I am at now

I get to the same spot and it still stops, sometimes it will reboot to the same spot.

I can get into safe mode, I have a problem with the Ethernet adapter, when I try to update or install new driver

I get a error that "cannot find path specified"

Not sure what I need to do next

windows 7 64 bit

16gb ram

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard

geforce GTS 250 video card

WD 1TB hard drive wd10eaos-00l5b1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

Tap F8 at boot to enable the Advanced Boot Options. Select Enable Low Resolution Video. Can you boot into Normal mode with this setting?

#3 gjinc

gjinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

Tap F8 at boot to enable the Advanced Boot Options. Select Enable Low Resolution Video. Can you boot into Normal mode with this setting?

No, I cannot

I also rolled back the display adapter drive and it made no difference.

I have got the Ethernet adapter driver to install, however it did not fix the boot problem.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

In Safe Mode open an elevated command prompt. Type:

net user administrator /active:yes 

This enables the Hidden Administrator Account. Reboot the computer and login to the administrator account. If you get the same problem with the Administrator Account then in Safe Mode uninstall your Graphics Driver. 

#5 gjinc

gjinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:14 PM

I did the command, restarted and hung at the same spot, loading windows with the 4 color panes, restarted in safe mode, selected administrator, uninstalled graphics driver.

restarted, right after loading windows with 4 color panes it went to a black screen and the fan on the video card stopped, lights on keyboard went out. harddrive light on but no sound from harddrive.

gave it a couple of minutes but no progress.

Restarted in safe mode administrator and it loaded the graphics driver, a bit of a warm smell also, but not a burnt smell

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

That sounds like a serious hardware problem related to the graphics card or possibly the motherboard. I would take this computer to a good shop.

#7 gjinc

gjinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

The only real clue that I have is in the days leading up, I was able to recover from this using  restore points. Each restore point was for a windows critical update. I never could figure out what update was. It was not listed in update area.

I had turned off windows updater in services, but Microsoft essentials require it to update. I turned it back on to get that and that is when it broke again. No restore points now. Think i'll try a new hard drive

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

Before going with a new hard drive check the drive with Seatools for Windows. Do the short test first. If it passes do the long test.

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

If you have a WD drive use their software.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

The above will not work if you cannot boot into Windows. In that case I would download Parted Magic, burn the iso to a CD, and boot the disk. At the desktop select Disk Health and do the short/long tests.

http://nl.afterdawn.com/downloads/systeem_tools/partities_maken/parted_magic_cd.cfm/v4_8

You will need to disable SecureBoot if enabled and enable Legacy/CSM boot you they are in your UEFI/BIOS settings.

Disk Health in Parted Magic is Gsmartconrol. When launched look under the attributes tab for any red or pink rows but still do the short/long test.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 December 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#9 gjinc

gjinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

I ran the WD software, passed all 3 test then when I rebooted, the boot manger is missing

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

Does tapping F8 allow you to access the Advanced Boot Options > Repair Computer > Startup Repair? It may take up to three attempts. If you cannot use F8 then a Startup Repair Disk will work or a Windows 7 boot disk. Select Repair Computer and do a Startup Repair.

image16.png

#11 gjinc

gjinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

Did F8, repair disk, did several repairs but no fix.

I tried new hard drive, tried to new install widows from the disk, loaded and got to the reboot, and again stopped on the 4 window pane.

I checked the voltages on the power supply-all good.

Put 2 old sticks of memory in-no fix

tried different Hard drive cables-no fix

tried different sata connectors on the mother board

swapped video cards the other day-no fix

Guess I am at bad mother board or processor- I find interesting but don't understand why it would let me get that far in the boot up.

#12 tristar

tristar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:08 AM

I know this is probably late, but a couple of things, are there any USB dongles or other devices connected ? like a usb receiver for your mouse etc.. Can you try disconnecting them ?

Also, is there only one hard drive connected inside the computer ? and any chance you know how many partitions were on it..

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

Sometimes a PSU will check ok but under a load will fail. Just for a test download Mint Cinnamon, burn the iso, and see how far you get in the install on the new drive.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

#14 gjinc

gjinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

I know this is probably late, but a couple of things, are there any USB dongles or other devices connected ? like a usb receiver for your mouse etc.. Can you try disconnecting them ?

Also, is there only one hard drive connected inside the computer ? and any chance you know how many partitions were on it..

HI, everything is disconnected. the only things are  ps2 keyboard, 1 hard drive, mother board and processor, and video card. no onboard video. Hard drive has a 100mb and the rest of it partitions

#15 gjinc

gjinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

Sometimes a PSU will check ok but under a load will fail. Just for a test download Mint Cinnamon, burn the iso, and see how far you get in the install on the new drive.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Will do, download should only take about 3 hours...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users