Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to import music files into iTunes?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:44 PM

I have many music CD's in a file on my machine in .wav format. It's a pain to play each song because even though they're located in an album I have to choose each song individually to play using Quicktime; they won't play one after another like they do in iTunes. How can I import each CD album into iTunes? I have version 11.4. 

The instructions I read said to choose the items then choose 'Share" to put them into iTunes. When I choose all the songs on the CD it lists each of them on the screen in Quicktime but when I go to 'Share' the options are greyed out. Thanks.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 coolboy4972

coolboy4972

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:21 AM

I usually just drag the folder into iTunes if it's accessible via Finder.

I haven't heard of that 'Share' method before, you should get an iTunes popup when you insert the disk.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19607?locale=en_US

Edited by coolboy4972, 26 December 2017 - 03:21 AM.

#3 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:16 PM

I don't have a disk to insert, the music files are already on my hard drive. I tried to drag the files into iTunes but it didn't work. Thanks anyway. 

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

There's a number of ways.  The most straightforward is probably just to open iTunes, choose File>>>Add to library (or Cmd & O) and navigate to the folder(s) that contain the music you want to import.

A few things to note - I think most plain WAV files should be OK but iTunes does not support or recognise FLAC.

Unless you've changed settings in the Advanced tab of iTunes Preferences, the default behaviour is for iTunes to manage your music collection (organises it into a hierarchical folder structure) and copies it into the ~/Music/iTunes folder

Edited by jonuk76, 27 December 2017 - 02:59 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

i did as you suggested jon but the folder didn't go into iTunes. Thanks anyway. This is a real head scratcher for me. Maybe I'll try to call Apple support but I hate to wait for half an hour to get through to them. 

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

That's strange.  So if you use Finder to go to your Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music folder, does it contain anything?  If working properly, copies of the songs you've just added should be in that folder somewhere...

In iTunes have you changed the view to show your music library?  I prefer the view below (similar to the classic view on older iTunes) which is by clicking "Songs" in the sidebar rather than the default album view.

ih84ew.jpg

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:26 PM

I'm having a problem with Safari right now so I can't answer right now but I will. 

#8 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

OK, back up and running with the El Capitan OS and updated apps to go with it. Weird thing happened - the cookies were disabled in the Privacy window of preferences and nothing was showing - the window was blank. So after 3 hours with Apple support we updated the system from Snow Leopard to El Cap. Anyway, what the support person told me about this music issue is .wma files cannot be in iTunes. Instead I have to get a file converter that will change that music into DCMI files & then I can drag the whole folder into iTunes. Having never heard of dcmi files I guess I'll have to search for a converter, hopefully find one that'll not do more harm than good. Any of you know of such a converter for .wma music files? Thanks. 

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

I thought these were WAV format?  Anyway .wma files are Windows Media Audio files.  As that suggests, it's a Microsoft format, so not universally supported on Mac.  I've never heard of or used DCMI files either to be honest?

After looking quickly I found this conversion program which has been positively reviewed - https://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/ (I've not used it myself)

Note iTunes supported audio formats are:

AAC (usually an .m4a extension - more recent/better than MP3 - usually higher quality than MP3 at a given bit rate)

MP3 (most common computer audio standard out there)

WAV (generic uncompressed digital audio container)

AIFF (Apple uncompressed digital audio format)

Apple Lossless/ALAC (compressed lossless, usually have .m4a extension too)

Edited by jonuk76, 04 January 2018 - 01:43 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

Sorry, my mistake; they are .wma.  I have .wav files in my iTunes folder. Thanks for the lead Jon, I'll try it and post the results here. 

Well I got to step 1 but couldn't get to step 2 in the converter. Left a message on the program's website. (Sigh). 

Edited by Twin B, 04 January 2018 - 09:39 PM.

#11 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:57 PM

Hi Twin B!

Questions:

*If you would share how you got your music CD's downloaded/saved to your Mac with the .wma file extension.

*Where do you have your .wma music saved, since it is not in iTunes?

*Is Windows Media application installed on your Mac?

Using my MacBook, I just downloaded a music CD, I selected Windows Media Player as the location, the songs installed with a AIFF extension. I was then able to add the songs to my iTunes library. That is why I've asked the questions above to try and figure out your scenario.

#12 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

Jon: The support person from MediaHuman emailed me saying he couldn't reproduce the problem I had but he'd keep trying. 

Softy: I can't remember how I got the music onto my iMac, it's been quite awhile. 

The folders for each music album are here: MacHD>Users>Joedr>My Music. 

I searched for Windows Media Application using Finder but it's not on my machine. 

#13 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

Hi Twin B.....

Thanks for your reply. Your .wma music extension is created by Windows Media Player, thus I wondered if you had WMP on your iMac. Using a PC and Windows Media Player, you can create a playlist, save that playlist as a m3u type in my music playlist, then import that playlist into iTunes. I'm not sure if you have a PC? 

In the meantime, I did find this Apple community forum post with two suggested methods (with positive results) converting .wma files for iTunes: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4438939

#14 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

I don't have a PC anymore but that could be how the music got onto my iMac. I may have copied the tunes from my old PC onto a flash drive when I bought my Mac and then transferred them to my machine, not knowing the ins and outs of iTunes. I'm pretty sure my grandson has a PC, he's a graphic designer, although he's into a lot of these newer handheld devices. I'll check with him. In the meantime I'll read the link you posted and try them.

Thanks so much for your time and interest.  

#15 Julia_Nash

Julia_Nash

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:47 AM

Apple only supports these audio formats: WAV, AIFF, Apple Lossless (ALAC), AAC, and MP3. WMA is not supported so you need to convert it first. Probably, Zamzar will give you a hand. It's an online tool that does the trick. Or try using VOX player that helps to play WMA music on a Mac. 

Also if you are trying to add music to iPhone  or iPod (by syncing it to iTunes first) – you might as well check this article out: https://softorino.com/waltr/cant-add-music-iphone/. There is a Mac/Windows tool that helps to transfer WMA files and all the unsupported are compatible too. There is no need to convert them beforehand. It's a paid app, but there's also a trial. 

Let me know if this helps! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users