Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bouda25

bouda25

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

Product Name: HP Pavilion 15-n097sa Notebook PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I was working on the laptop when it suddenly becomes unresponsive and the screen was flicking. I turned it off by long pressing the power switch. Then it is trying to reboot over and over again when it is turned on. Nothing shows up on the screen. You can hear it start to boot, see all the lights and then you can hear it die and try again. I can't even get to BIOS System. 

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 charlzden

charlzden

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode and delete the current driver of your graphics.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode and delete the current driver of your graphics.

Windows 7 was the last version of Windows which could be booted into Safe Mode by using the F8 key.  In order to boot into Safe Mode you would have to go to System Configuration, click/tap on the Boot tab, select Safe boot, click/tap on Apply, then OK. 

The computer will boot into Safe Mode when ever the computer is started until you go back to System Configuration and remove the check for Safe Boot, apply, and OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:16 PM

bouda25,

How to force Windows to open the Recovery options.

1. Press the power button to start the computer.  When Windows begins to boot press and hold the power button until the computer turns off.  This usually will take two or three restarts to do this.  Continue to do this until you see Recovery, select the See advanced repair options.  

2. You will see the option Troubleshoot, select this option.

3. The next option you want is Reset this PC.

This option will reinstall the operating system with the option to keep your personal files.  The downside of this is that this will uninstall all of your third party applications.  There will be an option to view the applications which will be uninstalled, I would suggest copying this list for a future reference.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

Here is the support page for your laptop:

(Rats, IE won't let me paste here anymore!) https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-n000-notebook-pc-series/5401225/model/6454645

On the left side is an HDMI video port and the first thing to try is to plug an HDMI monitor into it with the laptop turned off, then try it.  If the external monitor works, its either the LCD panel or the cable to it which may just be loose (I've seen about 10 where this was the problem).  If you still get no video on either display, post back.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 bouda25

bouda25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

bouda25,

How to force Windows to open the Recovery options.

1. Press the power button to start the computer.  When Windows begins to boot press and hold the power button until the computer turns off.  This usually will take two or three restarts to do this.  Continue to do this until you see Recovery, select the See advanced repair options.  

2. You will see the option Troubleshoot, select this option.

3. The next option you want is Reset this PC.

This option will reinstall the operating system with the option to keep your personal files.  The downside of this is that this will uninstall all of your third party applications.  There will be an option to view the applications which will be uninstalled, I would suggest copying this list for a future reference.

Thank you for your help.

The computer does not even start. After the power button is pressed the lights turn on but the screen remains blank. Few seconds later lights turn off and try to reboot again and again.. 

#7 bouda25

bouda25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

Here is the support page for your laptop:

(Rats, IE won't let me paste here anymore!) https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-n000-notebook-pc-series/5401225/model/6454645

On the left side is an HDMI video port and the first thing to try is to plug an HDMI monitor into it with the laptop turned off, then try it.  If the external monitor works, its either the LCD panel or the cable to it which may just be loose (I've seen about 10 where this was the problem).  If you still get no video on either display, post back.

Thank you for your help.

I tried this suggestion before coming online. I have tried it again but the screen remains blank.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

First, take the battery out of the laptop, unplug the ac adapter, push and hold the power button for 10+ seconds (to drain every vestige of power), plug the ac adapter back in, cross your fingers, and try turning it back on.  If it works, yeeha!  If it doesn't, go to the HP support page I posted, get the service manual, unplug the ac adapter, take the memory cover off the laptop, loosen and reseat the memory, and try it again.  If that doesn't do it, try one memory module at a time.  If none of the attempts work, the system board (motherboard) has failed and the only real fix would be to replace it.  Are you up to that?  And/or, is there stuff on the hard disk drive you need to backup?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

Unfortunately you can't access the BIOS, this means that you can't change the boot order in the BIOS which means that you can't use installation media to run the Startup Repair from the System Recovery Options.  If doing a power cycle doesn't work there isn't much else you can do. 

One thing you could try would be to connect the hdd to another computer either internally or via a USB connection and use a distro like Ubuntu to access you files if you need to back these up.  I suspect that you are going to wind up having to reinstall Windows since it can't be accessed using any conventional methods.

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:52 AM

Did you read that his problem is that he gets no video on either the internal LCD or an external monitor?  For all we know his Windows works just fine.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

Did you read that his problem is that he gets no video on either the internal LCD or an external monitor?  For all we know his Windows works just fine.

I don't believe Windows works correctly.  Hence the need for the repair which isn't going to happen and why they will most likely wind up reinstalling the operating system.

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

Nothing shows up on the screen. You can hear it start to boot, see all the lights and then you can hear it die and try again. I can't even get to BIOS System. 

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

You are repeating what I've already read, please cease this repetition.  They will need to install the hdd in another computer to do anything with it... like reinstall the operating system.

#14 bouda25

bouda25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

First, take the battery out of the laptop, unplug the ac adapter, push and hold the power button for 10+ seconds (to drain every vestige of power), plug the ac adapter back in, cross your fingers, and try turning it back on.  If it works, yeeha!  If it doesn't, go to the HP support page I posted, get the service manual, unplug the ac adapter, take the memory cover off the laptop, loosen and reseat the memory, and try it again.  If that doesn't do it, try one memory module at a time.  If none of the attempts work, the system board (motherboard) has failed and the only real fix would be to replace it.  Are you up to that?  And/or, is there stuff on the hard disk drive you need to backup?

took the memory cover off, unplugged one of the two memory modules. After restarting it works!!!

So that module is the failing part.

Thank you very much for your help.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

Try installing the working module in the other RAM slot to make sure there isn't a problem with the slot itself.  You should also try the module you removed in the other slot.

Please post the make and model of the two RAM modules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users