Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not booting Windows or BIOS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 averdecrysakai

averdecrysakai

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

Recently acquired Dell Inspiron N301Z, with the information that it needed a new OS. I downloaded a tool to import Windows 7 to a USB and followed the instructions to boot a computer from a new OS, but when I turned on the computer I found that it simply had a black screen, no logo/message, which is supposed to appear in order to use a key combination to access the BIOS to my knowledge. Have tried various key combinations, including Esc, Del, and most of the function keys without any success. Additionally, the power seems to randomly either stay on or shut off about 10 seconds after I push it. I was informed that this was not an issue with the display, which is why I have posted in here instead. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

To my knowledge the laptop was bought as-is, so the specifications are probably accurate to this: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/254622/Dell-Inspiron-N301z.html?page=78#manual

I have also tried installing a BIOS driver from the official website with similar results.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:14 PM

Tapping F12 at boot will give you an option to do hardware diagnostics. If you cannot access a Boot Screen with F12 at boot I would return the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users