Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Micron Discontinuing Lexar Removable Storage Retail Business

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

Sorry if this has been posted but this is the first time I'm hearing of this.  I really love these Lexar Drives, especially the Lexar Twist and  some of the S75 USB's.  They were reasonable and easy to get at my local store, or online.  The Lexar Twist has a twisting cover that allows for the End of the part that goes into your pc to be fully protected, or at least better than most I've seen without a Loosable cover.

End Of Lexar Removable Storage Devices

Edited by pcpunk, 25 December 2017 - 01:46 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

The Lexar division was bought out including the name. I think you will still see Lexar flash drives, only not those made by Micron. Will the quality be the same? Who knows. But as a side note, I have dirt cheap flash drives that have not failed. It gets to a point where NAND is NAND. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11801/longsys-acquires-lexar-brand-from-micron

Micron purchased Lexar in 2006.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 December 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

Doesn't surprise me that much seeing as an 8 Gb flash drive can sell for as little as $6, while 8 Gb of DRAM can sell for over $100...

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

DRAM prices are kind of nuts right now.

http://www.pcgamer.com/samsung-to-increase-dram-output-as-ram-prices-continue-to-climb/

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

Lexar Up And Running Again

Well, I don't know if they ever stopped operations, but at least they are moving forward.  All the Text on the Right side of that Link are other Links to their Articles.

I just saw today "New" by the "Lexar® JumpDrive® TwistTurn USB 2.0 Flash Drive, 16GB, Purple, LJDTT16GAMODV" Entries at officedepot.com.  So can only assume that they are indeed new as I've never seen that before. 

I know they have taken ALL Lexar products off the shelf in stores by me but are still selling them online.  And in some stores they have stock but not displayed.  So if anyone wants the old Micron drives get em while you can.  Like John says though, NAND is NAND for the most part.  I think if you are just copying files and saving them, updating them, deleting them all is good, but flash drives can be damaged, don't ask how I know...hehe.

I post this because I love the Lexar Twist USB Flash Drives and I'll tell you why again:

1. They fit side by side in a laptop easily and have a relatively low profile while doing so.

2. Have a nice ring for a lanyard that doubles as a cover that you cannot lose.

3. Construction seems solid for plastic and better than most.

4. Doesn't have those wanky little Slide Switches that never lock out properly.

5. LED Light makes it easy to see when your files are finished being worked on:  This is especially nice when you are in a hurry and want to Eject the USB and you can see when it is done.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:08 PM

Yep I've been buying them everywhere I can find them as they are an excellent thumb drive.

I've still got a big pile of the 4GB and 8GB an 16GB and buy a $100.00 worth of them when Office Depot has their back to school sale for $5.99 each.

I don't need thumb drives any bigger than 16gb although do have a few 32gb only because I bought them cheap.

Unfortunately all good things come to an end so gonna have to keep the eyes open for a different brand now.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:28 PM

I'm not that big of a fan of the Sandisk Cruzers that slide but I never had a issue with them and Best Buy usually sells the 16GB version for $5.

They now have a sale on the PNY flash drives that I do like.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hard-drives/usb-flash-drives/abcat0504010.c?id=abcat0504010

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 September 2018 - 09:28 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:35 PM

It's interesting to see how different people love different styles for different reasons.

My favorite is the "key type":  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unirex-16GB-USB-2-0-Key-Shaped-Flash-Drive/166069879 

I've had several of these in their 8GB size dangling off of my real keyrings for several years now and they literally "take a lickin', and keep on tickin'".

I also recently bought these:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B012V0I008/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and fully expect them to wear like iron.

Anything that has a metal enclosure has consistently lasted longer under real world use conditions in my real world than anything else.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:47 PM

I'm not that big of a fan of the Sandisk Cruzers that slide but I never had a issue with them and Best Buy usually sells the 16GB version for $5.

They now have a sale on the PNY flash drives that I do like.

I agree John, I would, and have bought both of those many times.  I prefer the Lexar Twist though for reasons listed.  I find the Attache a little cumbersome to handle, but they seem good and are super cheap.  Unfortunately the TwistTurn USB 2.0 Flash Drive 16GB is now 6.99 at Office Depot. 

Just wish I'd bought more of the Lexar Twist when they were super cheap.  Glad they are still making them....Whew!  I will buy one of the new releases soon.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:02 AM

"Key type" are my favourites too. I do not like everything that slides or similar. They start failing early.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:20 AM

Yep I've been buying them everywhere I can find them as they are an excellent thumb drive.

I've still got a big pile of the 4GB and 8GB an 16GB and buy a $100.00 worth of them when Office Depot has their back to school sale for $5.99 each.

I don't need thumb drives any bigger than 16gb although do have a few 32gb only because I bought them cheap.

Unfortunately all good things come to an end so gonna have to keep the eyes open for a different brand now.

I would love to be able to buy a bunch of 4GB also T-T, if I could get them cheap, but they don't make them anymore.  The new 16GB are still reasonable at 6.99 at Office Depot but am holding off ordering them until this Hurricane passes.  

If your willing to pay they are still on amazon, and of course still for sale online at Office Depot and many other smaller outlets.  So glad to see they kept that design and apparently still making new ones.  I will buy these for myself, but may get the cheaper Sandisk as John pointed out for customers, they don't care either way, or the PNY, they are also cheap at bestbuy.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:07 AM

Purchasing their product is the best endorsement as you've done.  I also emailed them telling the how much I liked their products, and some of the things I did not like about some of them.

Also looking forward to getting one of the Lexar® JumpDrive® Tough USB 3.1 flash drive  Why, well, it just looks cool and functional!

This one also looks simple small and functional Lexar® JumpDrive® V40 USB Flash Drive but not on sale at amazon?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users