Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

task host issue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vespid

vespid

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

A problem continues to arise on my custom desktop system. There are plenty of threads around the net discussing this with many possible answers, but most don't fully describe the nature of the problem that I'm having or only solve the problem temporarily, so I'm hoping for a bit of advice.

The symptoms:

• After signing onto my windows 10 account, the right-click menus don't work on the bottom task bar at all, and the "window" menu button in the bottom left corner doesn't work at all, not even left clicking. there are a variety of other little glitches with various browsers as well.
  • After using ctrl-alt-delete and clicking through that to shut down or sign out, the "task host is stopping background task" message pops up and prevents shut down. It looks like this although in English this image is not from my computer.
  • After clicking to sign out anyway, I can then open another account on my computer and log back out normally. Then, upon signing back into my account, my account works fine, too.
  • Everything will be fine for a day or so, then the problem reoccurs. I'd like to solve it rather than having to play the "sign in and out through another account" game every few days.
  • The problem does not occur in safe-mode

Suggestions? Thank you for your time,

V

Edited by vespid, 25 December 2017 - 01:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Copy and paste powercfg.cpl in the Run box, click/tap on OK.

When the Power Options opens click/tap on Choose what power buttons do, then click/tap on Change settings that are not currently available.

Under Shutdown settings remove the check from the Turn on fast startup (recommended) box.

Click/tap on Save changes.

Edited by dc3, 25 December 2017 - 01:55 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 vespid

vespid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:17 AM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Copy and paste powercfg.cpl in the Run box, click/tap on OK.

When the Power Options opens click/tap on Choose what power buttons do, then click/tap on Change settings that are not currently available.

Under Shutdown settings remove the check from the Turn on fast startup (recommended) box.

Click/tap on Save changes.

Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate it. I just followed your instructions and hope the the problem no longer appears. Thanks!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

Let us know if this resolves the issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 vespid

vespid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

Let us know if this resolves the issue.

I did this and it was fine for a few days, but now has come back. Thoughts?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

If you forgot to click/tap on Save Changes this would explain why it isn't working.  Please go back to the Power Options and check to see if the option for the "Turn on Fast Strartup (recommended)" is still disabled.

#7 vespid

vespid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

I tried to post a jpg image showing that the box in unchecked, but the forum won't let me post it. It is clear.

Edited by vespid, 02 January 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

You can post a image in your next post as an attachment.  Here's how to do it.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

#9 vespid

vespid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

Here it is. It's been fine for the last day or so. The intermittent nature of this makes it tough.

Attached Files

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Boot into Safe Mode to see if this occurs there.

How to start Safe Mode in Windows 10

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

Type msconfig in the Run box and click/tap OK.  This will open System Configuration.

Click/tap on the Boot tab, then click/tap on Safe boot.

Click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Important:  Once you have set the computer to boot into Safe Mode it will continue to do this until you go back to System Configuration,open the Boot tab and remove the check from Safe boot.

If this problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode I would suggest running a Clean Boot to see if a third party service is causing this problem.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  

#11 vespid

vespid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

I had previously tried safe mode and the problem wouldn't occur there when it would occur in normal startup. I tried doing the next set of procedures, but the intermittent nature of the problem kicked in and the problem would NOt occur no matter which half of the non-MS items I had checked. Is there any log or file I can check to see what is making it hang?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:27 PM

The purpose of the Clean Boot is to disable all of your third party services to see if one of these is causing your problem.  If you followed the instructions correctly through step #7 and restarted you computer none of the third party services should be running.  If the problem doesn't occur when the computer has rebooted the problem is related to one of the third party services. 

To determine which service is causing this problem divide the services in half and add a check for half of the services in one half.  When you restart the computer and the half that you enabled produces the error you will know that the half you enabled contains the service causing the problem.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users