Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp sees router and spectrum arris but URLS get dnsrsearch.com?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bobleeper

bobleeper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

just reinstalled xp  sp3 on a linux laptop because my new logitech harmony remote needs windows vista+. But hard to upgrade with no internet. XP can see my cisco router and arris cable modem web pages using IP addresses but all URLs in IE are sent to dnsrsearch.com. Is this a problem with Spectrum DNS service or firewall? XP firewall is OFF. TCP/IP DNS  servers set to same as working Linux machine. Maybe Spectrum doesn't support XP or IEv.6?

One other weirdness. I am using wired connection to Cisco router which connects to Arris cable modem. If I connect XP laptop directly to arris then arris internet light goes from blinking green to orange. But xp can get arris login at 192.168.100.1 when connecting through router.

Edited by bobleeper, 25 December 2017 - 01:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gferrin

gferrin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

Hey buddy,  need a bit more clarification on your set up.  Please allow me to address a few questions here.  Linux is an operating system, am I to assume you have installed XP in a virtual machine?  Or, a dual boot config.  If you are failing out on DNS, set your DNS server as your default gateway (same as router) THEN, set secondary DNS setting as 8.8.8.8 (Google).  I would not recommend in any way shape or form using XP on the net at this point, but, I will assume you know the risks.  Second, Cisco.  What type of Cisco router are you using? General like Linksys (Cisco)?  Or, full blown like a K9 type or Meraki?  Big, Big difference.

#3 bobleeper

bobleeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

The problem was XP configuration or arris. Not sure. I found a copy of Vista and everything cleared up. Thanks. Now if I can only get Vista working with Logitech harmony software I will be happy. Logitech is not Linux friendly but maybe not Vista friendly either. They list Vista and higher as a sytem requirement then their stupid software troubleshooting procedure only lists Windows before Vista. Why is IT the last place you get QA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users