Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network switch or physical switch for cat 5 cable that will allow 10/10000

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 20GT

20GT

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

network switch or physical switch for cat 5 cable that will allow 10/1000 <----- not 10,000 (I wish 10,000 lol)

I've run a cable through my attic from the router in the garage to my PC in my bedroom. it was about 5 feet short so I added a RJ45 female to female to make it reach. it has worked good for years getting 47Mbps.

Now I would like to add a Leelbox but all the network and physical switches seem to be 10/100.

I'm wondering if this box is just a straight physical wire switch that will keep the speed. 

I'm thinking about just extending the jack a couple more feet :( so I can easily reach it and just plug in whatever I want. 

any advice?

Edited by 20GT, 25 December 2017 - 12:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

I have one of these on my desk at work so that I can work on multiple machines at once.  A network connection will only be as fast as the slowest item in the chain.  If your router only has a 10/100 port nothing will go faster than 100 if it has to go through the router.  So, assuming the router is only capable of 100 when you connect a 10/100/1000 switch anything that has to go through the router will only be 100.  Everything on the switch can talk to other items on the switch at up to 1000, provided both devices are capable.

Don't know why you couldn't find one previously.

Edited by Kilroy, 27 December 2017 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users