Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everytime I boot, the following message pops on the screen...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Artisticool1

Artisticool1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

Windows can't find the following file..."C:\Program Files\Tablet\Pen\Pen_Tablet.exe".

I uninstalled the tablet,  but a residue of the files still remain in 'Program Files'. I've tried to delete them, but it says they are in use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hi,

Download Autoruns https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

- run the program as Administrator (right click the file and select Run as Administrator) and wait for the system scan completes

- use the search function of the program to look for Pen_Tablet and uncheck the entry found

- restart the computer to see if the error is gone

Edited by SleepyDude, 25 December 2017 - 10:40 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

This is a executeable but isn't essential for the operating system.  You should try booting into Safe Mode and uninstall it there.  If this proves to be problematic you can use a program like Should I Remove It?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Hi Guys

Thanx for your prompt reply. However...

Windows can't find the following file..."C:\Program Files\Tablet\Pen\Pen_Tablet.exe"...(it isn't there)?

For some reason Windows is looking for and can't find a file that isn't there, it doesn't exist. The only files that are there are under...

C:\Program Files\Tablet...(and they are)...

Pen

Wacom

The contents of 'Pen' are...

msvcp110.dll             (Application Extension)

msvcr110.dll              (Application Extension)

WacomHost               (Application)

WTabletServiceCon   (Application)

The contents of 'Wacom' are...

libxm12.dll                 (Application Extension)

msvcp110.dll             (Application Extension)

msvcr110.dll              (Application Extension)

Wacom_Tablet           (Application)

Wacom_TouchUser    (Application)

WacomHost                (Application)

WTabletServicePro     (Application)

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Hi Guys

Thanx for your prompt reply. However...

Windows can't find the following file..."C:\Program Files\Tablet\Pen\Pen_Tablet.exe"...(it isn't there)?

How about following my instructions!?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:36 AM

Hi SleepyDude

Yes I ran 'Sysinternals' it said 'File not detected' and highlighted it in 'Yellow'. I tried to delete them and it refused, but gave me the option to press the 'Run As Administrator' button. But when I did it said...

"Error changing the item state. The system cannot find the file specified"  (You don't say?)

I then shut down my PC, as my attention was required elsewhere in our domicile, that being Xmas Day etc. However, this morning when I booted the PC, I went straight to the file in the C Drive...C:\Program Files\Tablet..I left clicked it and clicked on 'Delete' and much to my surprise! It was gone. Why, how? I have no idea and quite frankly I don't care, I'm just glad to see the back of it.

PS

Some of the other items on my PC were also highlighted in yellow and listed as "File not detected". It allowed me to delete some of them. With and without 'Run As Administrator'. I have deleted a few, although so far only the ones I recognise as being safe to do so. I would have taken out everything that is listed under this heading. But I got to thinking, if they are safe to remove then why hasn't 'CCleaner' removed them?

Edited by Artisticool1, 26 December 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

For some changes the program must be run as Administrator...

Use only CCleaner to remove Temporary Files, we @BleepingComputer don't recommend the use of the registry cleaner part included on those type of programs, they have the potential to create more problems than resolve them...

___
Rui

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

@Artisticool1,

Can you run Autoruns and go to File, Save..., and save the .arn file to your Desktop. Then, zip and attach the .arn file in your next post. (You need to use .ZIP or the forums won't accept it.)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#10 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

Bleeping Tree Hugger

Yes I am and already was fully aware of BP's feelings regarding (so called) PC cleaning software. I can only say that I can understand your misgivings on many of these products.However, that doesn't alter the fact that I think it to be rather sweeping and unjust to be so dismissive of all such software. Even though I too have personally fallen victim to some in the past.

Even so, how else are we suppose to learn, that everything everyone says isn't always true and that these people are geared to prey on the innocent and gullible among us. Further to this, they say one thing and you say another, how do we know who we should believe? They can be just as convincing as you, perhaps, sometimes even more so. 

This is not to say you give my thoughts and feelings on this matter any credence what-so-ever and at the end of the day why should you. After all, aren't I just another punter with a problem, knocking on your door for your help on this festive occasion. A so called time of good will and good wishes for all? Perhaps, just for today we could all let bygones be bygones.

But for what it's worth, I hear what you say and I know where you're coming from and if listening to you preach your sermon at me, is the price I must pay to get my PC fixed, then so be it.

Edited by Artisticool1, 26 December 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#11 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

Hi Bleepin' Owl (Like your picture)

Where do I get Autoruns?

Oh, okay Doh, I see now, I'll give the zip thing a go.

Right, well I zipped the file, but never having sent a zipped file to anyone before, this is where my knowledge on this matter ends. I tried drag and drop to the page (no go). I clicked on send attachments, but didn't find that very helpful. Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Err, there is one thing I can't get my head round though, why are you wanting me to send the Autoruns? To you?

Edited by Artisticool1, 26 December 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

Hi!

To attach a file, please click Reply to this topic on the top right-side of your topic page. Next, on the bottom, under Attach Files, click Browse..., then click Open, and finally Attach This File. To finalize and post your post, click Add Reply.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

Bleeping Tree Hugger

Yes I am and already was fully aware of BP's feelings regarding (so called) PC cleaning software. I can only say that I can understand your misgivings on many of these products.However, that doesn't alter the fact that I think it to be rather sweeping and unjust to be so dismissive of all such software. Even though I too have personally fallen victim to some in the past.

Even so, how else are we suppose to learn, that everything everyone says isn't always true and that these people are geared to prey on the innocent and gullible among us. Further to this, they say one thing and you say another, how do we know who we should believe? They can be just as convincing as you, perhaps, sometimes even more so. 

This is not to say you give my thoughts and feelings on this matter any credence what-so-ever and at the end of the day why should you. After all, aren't I just another punter with a problem, knocking on your door for your help on this festive occasion. A so called time of good will and good wishes for all? Perhaps, just for today we could all let bygones be bygones.

But for what it's worth, I hear what you say and I know where you're coming from and if listening to you preach your sermon at me, is the price I must pay to get my PC fixed, then so be it.

These is not my own personal views being expressed, this is the general consensus of the staff.

By the way... Bleeping Tree Hugger is not my user name, that would be dc3.

Edited by dc3, 27 December 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#14 Artisticool1

Artisticool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

Bleeping Tree Hugger

At no time in my blurb, have I said or even hinted at doubting your abilities. You are taking my response to your statement out of context. I am not singling you out for an attack, nor anyone else for that matter. It couldn't be further from the truth, in fact I sympathise and have said as much. On more than one occasion in the past you have personally helped me and for that I am grateful.

I think it might have just been the red writing and capital letters, that caused my retaliation and outpouring. It was a bit like a red rag to a bull, I felt I needed to say something. I am not a child, naughty or otherwise. And as I'm sure you can understand, when I say I don't like to be treated or spoken to as though I am one. I don't know you, you don't know me. I treat everyone as I find them regardless of age, gender, race or creed. I speak as I would like to be spoken to. If there is something I don't like, I don't brood on it or let it get to me over time,   I respond to it then and there. Always have, always will.

So come on now, let's shake and make up, like the grown up adults we are. Goodwill to all?

Oops, I just realised I called you 'Bleeping Tree Hugger' instead of 'dc3'! Sorry, my bad.

I'm not having a good day today, it's apologies all round, as I did the same thing to you 'bwv848'. I think my mind was elsewhere, I've just come back from an appointment with the physiotherapist. Anyway, that behind us, I have a question for you...

bwv848

I asked you this in my last posting to you, but you didn't respond, well, not to the following question...

"There is one thing I can't get my head round though, why are you wanting me to send the Autoruns?"

Being as, prior to your request for the 'Autoruns' I'd already posted that the problem I'd had with not being able to delete certain files, had sorted itself?

Posting #6

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

I believe Autoruns will reveal the culprit — you need trained eyes to detect it. :) We've started to go in circles, perhaps nowhere, in this thread. There's nothing personal in an Autoruns log file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users