Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update errors, BSD and general pc problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RenfariGrokushai

RenfariGrokushai

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:37 AM

First of all I'd like to wish you all a merry Christmas and thank you in advance for any support you guys can offer.

I have win 10 installed and first noticed problems whilst playing a game on steam which suggested a problem with my disk, all disk scans found no errors though. I did a fresh install of windows 10 Education 64-bit but experienced problems updating getting the error 8073712 (I think). I've downloaded and run win 10 update assistant but that failed to solve the problem. I stopped using an AV instead trusting windows defender and no problems were found, I even downloaded the windows security troubleshooter with up-to-date virus, malware and pup definitions (which is only valid for 10 days) and no problems were found.

I've downloaded whocrashed and this is the report:

Computer name: (I've hidden this)
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 15063
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., 970A-DS3P
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core Processor AMD586, level: 21
6 logical processors, active mask: 63
RAM: 8552898560 bytes total

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 25/12/2017 10:38:36 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122517-24343-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16BFD0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFF8B86688B94F0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8029C271DFC, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 25/12/2017 10:38:36 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFF8B86688B94F0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8029C271DFC, 0x2)
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 25/12/2017 10:22:29 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122517-25296-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80336EFBF46, 0xFFFF8401801E2D70, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Mon 25/12/2017 10:06:08 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122517-24562-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF90332A9A268, 0x10, 0xFFFFF90332A9A268, 0x2)

On Mon 25/12/2017 09:49:58 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122517-25843-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x608835)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80125A9B835, 0xFFFFA401E9CD48B8, 0xFFFFA401E9CD40F0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 5 are included in this report. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

I have tried so many solutions I can't quite remember them all, I tried to start a fresh reset today but even that failed. I enjoy the problem solving but I have little technical skill and just follow instructions I read on google searches. I hope someone could help me in a more methodical way to resolve these problems.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I have attached a DISM log I found which may help, I have since updated my graphics driver so I know that's up to date:

Attached Files

• Attached File  dism.log   302.6KB   2 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 25 December 2017 - 04:55 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Crashes/BSODs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

This topic should be moved to the Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RenfariGrokushai

RenfariGrokushai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

Thank you for taking the time to look at this for me Bleeping Tree Hugger, I apologise for posting it in the wrong place.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:27 AM

First of all, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

You didn't necessarily post this in the wrong forum.  We added a new forum which has members who specialize in resolving your type of problem and have asked to have this topic moved to that forum.

By the way, my user name is dc3.  Being a bleeping tree huger is expressed as appreciation of the heavily forested area I live in.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RenfariGrokushai

RenfariGrokushai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hello dc3 and thank you.

Just a quick update as I probably won't be able to get to my pc in the next day or two; I've been running Windows Update Assistant for hours and I was feeling hopeful as it's download percentage went up to 97%. I was afk, the next time I checked it had gone back to 1% download. I will leave it running and see what happens when I return.

#6 RenfariGrokushai

RenfariGrokushai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

in anticipation of this being moved to the bsd thread, I followed the instructions and include the info below. pc crashed again and is sluggish.

Thank you for your time.Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   1.71MB   1 downloads

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Bc5b0l55E3B1OBrqiqiQv6j

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

I believe your hard disk is in some trouble. From Speccy, we observe that the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive is "Warning," and from the Event Log

Event[382]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs
  Date: 2017-12-25T09:13:56.582
  Event ID: 98
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: Info
  Keyword: N/A
  User: S-1-5-18
  User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
  Computer: HC023
  Description:
Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) needs to be taken offline for a short time to perform a Spot Fix.  Please run "CHKDSK /SPOTFIX" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

we see warnings of potential file system corruption and a request to run CHKDSK. In addition, the several BSODs you experienced today seem to point in that direction.

Backup your files, and then run SeaTools for Windows. Run the Short Generic test and Long Generic test. Sometimes drives pass the Long Generic test, but interestingly fail the Short Generic test for unknown reasons. If both tests pass, wait for the system to misbehave for two days and attach a fresh SFCA output.

Interestingly the MSInfo32 report is corrupted, did you notice any abnormalities while running the SFCA? Is this computer owned by your school?

Edited by bwv848, 25 December 2017 - 05:08 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#8 RenfariGrokushai

RenfariGrokushai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

bwv848​ thank you so much for looking at this for me. I've run the SFCA app again and made a new zip file which I'll attach. I think my pc did crash previously which possibly caused the corruption of that last report.

The pc is mine and doesn't belong to an educational facility so there are no technicians who are going to give me a new hard drive unfortunately.

I don't have time today to run the SeaTools app but I will do that when I get the chance, possibly tomorrow.

Once again thank you.

Attached Files

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,023 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thanks. Please follow my previous instructions to run SeaTools.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#10 RenfariGrokushai

RenfariGrokushai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:38 AM

I have completed both the short and long generic tests, both passed. The reports are simple merely stating they passed, but i'll attach them anyway.

Attached Files

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,023 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

Fantastic. Wait for two or three days and run the SFCA again so I can check the Event Log once again. I still suspect the HDD is bad even if the tests pass. 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

1.  Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop.

2.  Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe.

3.  Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name).

4.  Click on the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete).

Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your topic.

Click on the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply).

info_failing.png

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

#13 RenfariGrokushai

RenfariGrokushai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

Thank you, I downloaded and initiated the test as instructed but it appears my PC has crashed. The ETA time hasn't changed nor has the progress bar. When I move my mouse curser (an upward pointing arrow) over the GSmartcontrol stop button the curser changes to a horizontal line with triangles at both ends; I can't interact with that button.

Is it safe to turn off pc with the power switch at the back?

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,023 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

I would shut the machine off with the physical power button, yes. If you leave it to hang, it will eventually crash; either way you may end up in data corruption.

Have you backed-up your files as I requested earlier? I suspect the hard disk is truly bad; you'll probably have to replace it. As a side note, it is rather pointless, in my opinion, to run GSmartControl in cases like yours. We already know that the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive is "Warning," so any results that we obtain from it will be negative.

I asked you to run SeaTools to confirm the drive is failing. S.M.A.R.T. is a predicative tool and occasionally (but rarely) comes up with meaningless warnings and is not always reliable. In fact, 36% of drives fail without any S.M.A.R.T. forewarnings. The same problem plagues SeaTools even though it's not predictive — drives commonly pass SeaTools even if they're failing. And some drives (particularly Seagate ones!) mysteriously fail the Short Generic test, but pass the Long Generic test.

In summary, all I'm trying to say is that software tests are never 100% accurate, possibly only 90% accurate. We usually can get a good idea about the state of a drive by inspecting the Event Logs carefully and monitoring the system's general behavior.

#15 RenfariGrokushai

RenfariGrokushai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

Hi, I haven't bothered backing up any files because this is pretty much a fresh install except that it won't fully update, in short there are no files that I worry about losing.

I appreciate your time and effort and trust your informed opinion that I need a new hard drive.

With that said I'll post what info I have. I left my pc doing the Gsmartcontrol test and went afk. I returned later to find the test had completed. Perhaps stupidly I just closed down the program to retrieve a log file then realised I should have kept it open. I reopened the program and ran a short test. The view output txt shows that I ran an interupted test (pc crashed), a completed extended test and a short test so I'm hoping all the relevant info is there for you:

smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [i686-w64-mingw32-win8(64)] (sf-5.43-1)
Copyright © 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda (SATA 3Gb/s, 4K Sectors)
Device Model:     ST1000DM003-1CH162
Serial Number:    S1DFSXE9
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 06ce50513
Firmware Version: CC49
User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  ACS-2 (unknown minor revision code: 0x001f)
Local Time is:    Wed Dec 27 17:35:29 2017 GMTST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity
     was never started.
     Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
     without error or no self-test has ever
     been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:   (  584) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:     (0x73) SMART execute Offline immediate.
     Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
     Suspend Offline collection upon new
     command.
     No Offline surface scan supported.
     Self-test supported.
     Conveyance Self-test supported.
     Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
     power-saving mode.
     Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
     General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:   (   1) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:   ( 110) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time:   (   2) minutes.
SCT capabilities:         (0x3085) SCT Status supported.
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   116   088   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       101787192
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   097   097   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always       -       810
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   093   093   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       9176
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   085   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       378127304
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   074   074   000    Old_age   Always       -       22863
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always       -       744
183 Runtime_Bad_Block       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
184 End-to-End_Error        0x0032   100   100   099    Old_age   Always       -       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   012   012   000    Old_age   Always       -       88
188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       4295032881
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   087   087   000    Old_age   Always       -       13
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   064   054   045    Old_age   Always       -       36 (Min/Max 35/39)
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       145
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   056   056   000    Old_age   Always       -       89036
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   036   046   000    Old_age   Always       -       36 (0 6 0 0 0)
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   099   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       2
240 Head_Flying_Hours       0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       72889890002267
241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       64285639729
242 Total_LBAs_Read         0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       86696970669
SMART Error Log Version: 1
ATA Error Count: 90 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)
 CR = Command Register [HEX]
 FR = Features Register [HEX]
 SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
 SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
 CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
 CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
 DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
 DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
 ER = Error register [HEX]
 ST = Status register [HEX]
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.
Error 90 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 17562 hours (731 days + 18 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.
  After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 00 78 42 78 08  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x08784278 = 142099064
  Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
  CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
  -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
  25 00 40 40 42 78 e8 00   3d+17:16:48.183  READ DMA EXT
  25 00 08 e0 ab b9 e3 00   3d+17:16:47.982  READ DMA EXT
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   3d+17:16:47.981  READ DMA EXT
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   3d+17:16:47.981  READ DMA EXT
  25 00 08 20 7f c0 e0 00   3d+17:16:47.965  READ DMA EXT
Error 89 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 17562 hours (731 days + 18 hours)
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 00 f8 5f a8 0a  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x0aa85ff8 = 178806776
  25 00 40 e0 5f a8 ea 00   3d+17:15:50.339  READ DMA EXT
  25 00 08 50 3c 6d e4 00   3d+17:15:50.270  READ DMA EXT
  ea 00 00 ff ff ff af 00   3d+17:15:50.186  FLUSH CACHE EXT
  35 00 08 40 c3 62 e0 00   3d+17:15:50.186  WRITE DMA EXT
  35 00 08 20 3f 5e e0 00   3d+17:15:50.186  WRITE DMA EXT
Error 88 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 17562 hours (731 days + 18 hours)
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 00 c0 39 47 04  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x044739c0 = 71776704
  25 00 18 c0 39 47 e4 00   3d+17:15:02.317  READ DMA EXT
  25 00 08 70 56 79 e4 00   3d+17:15:02.257  READ DMA EXT
  25 00 80 48 f6 31 e0 00   3d+17:15:02.209  READ DMA EXT
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   3d+17:15:02.209  READ DMA EXT
  25 00 80 c8 58 32 e0 00   3d+17:15:02.209  READ DMA EXT
Error 87 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 17548 hours (731 days + 4 hours)
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 00 18 82 cc 03  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x03cc8218 = 63734296
  25 00 20 00 82 cc e3 00   3d+04:06:02.933  READ DMA EXT
  35 00 08 38 06 af e3 00   3d+04:06:02.933  WRITE DMA EXT
  35 00 08 18 c7 48 e3 00   3d+04:06:02.932  WRITE DMA EXT
  35 00 08 38 78 28 e0 00   3d+04:06:02.432  WRITE DMA EXT
  35 00 08 60 6e 48 e4 00   3d+04:06:01.220  WRITE DMA EXT
Error 86 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 16199 hours (674 days + 23 hours)
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 00 ff ff ff 0f  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x0fffffff = 268435455
  25 00 40 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+00:34:42.580  READ DMA EXT
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+00:34:42.507  READ DMA EXT
  35 00 00 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+00:34:42.506  WRITE DMA EXT
  35 00 00 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+00:34:42.505  WRITE DMA EXT
  35 00 00 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+00:34:42.505  WRITE DMA EXT
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     22862         -
# 2  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     22862         -
# 3  Extended offline    Interrupted (host reset)      00%     22860         -
SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users