Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Won't Open after Last Evening's Windows 10 Update

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 peterfoster

peterfoster

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:12 AM

I ran the latest Windows 10 Update last evening on my desktop since when I haven't been able to open Internet Explorer. It "coughs" a bit but doesn't open! I need Internet Explorer to run Sky Go and  Virgin TV Anywhere, which don't run with any other browsers. 

Last week my laptop suffered in a similar way after the update but I managed to fix the problem by running AV, SuperAntispyware and Malwaresuperbytes scans and re-booting.

Sadly, running these scans this morning on the desktop and re-booting has failed to fix the problem.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

(Do you think it's just a question of the pc needing to be rebooted multiple times since the upgrade in order to ensure all the updates are installed properly?)
  •  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

It looks like this is yet another problem with the authors fall update 1709, there are a lot of posts complaining about this.  Unfortunately it appears that this is being attributed to SkyGo and Virgin TV anywhere not making changes to be compatible with the latest update.  Say What?!?  The only work around for these two problems were supplied by members at the corresponding websites.

Here is what I found at Virgin TV Anywhere.

The way I am using it on Windows 10 creator edition is to run the page through Internet Explorer. The easiest way to do it is to navigate to the channel you want to want using Edge, and then click the 3 dots in the top right corner on the browser and select 'Open with Internet Explorer'.

You will need to sign in on Internet Explorer, and this does count as an additional device for some reason, but since edge isn't currently working then this shouldn't be a problem.

Here is what I found for SkyGo.

Apparently this is a problem which has been going on for some time.  The only suggestion I've found is to contact SkyGo to have them reset your account.  The link above should take you to their website and the download link.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

"Virgin TV Anywhere" has it seems morphed into "Virgin TV Go" and now I can use Edge in addition to Internet Explorer to use the service. But I still need Internet Explorer to access Sky Go as this remains the only browser they recognise although they do apologise for this on their website and say they are "working on it...."

Thanks for your suggestion. The problem I thought is that I can't get Internet Explorer on my Windows 10 desktop so until I do this I won't know if I have a further issue resulting from the Windows 10 update. What I think I'm requesting, then, please, is assistance in getting Internet Explorer back on the desktop. Thanks.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

Is the issue that IE will not open or that it seems to be absent from the machine?

If you hit the Windows Key and start typing "internet" then IE is typically what shows up at the top of the search results as the first desktop app.  If it doesn't start after you activate it that's a different problem, and what I'd consider is:

1.  Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2.  Going to the IE11 download page, downloading the installer, and trying to reinstall it (which will probably fail, as I presume it will say you have the latest version).

3. Rolling back to prior to the latest update using Windows System Restore (or restoring to a backup you have that was taken prior to this update) and allowing the update to download and install again.  Burps have been known to happen and sometimes the second (and, on rare occasions, the third) time is the charm.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

Uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer, open Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off.

fXWcMnQ.png

Uninstall Internet Explorer by clearing check mark for Internet Explorer 11 and restart your computer.  Reinstall Internet Explorer by placing a check mark for Internet Explorer 11. You might be ask for Windows 10 Setup DVD when reinstalling Internet Explorer if you don't have Windows 10 Setup DVD you can create one with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

Edited by FreeBooter, 28 December 2017 - 04:06 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thanks, Freebooter. I clicked "turn windows features on and off" and unticked Internet Explorer and ok'd it and rebooted. When the pc came up Internet Explorer was unticked so I ticked it and ok'd it and rebooted again. This time the tick was back on Internet Explorer but it still wouldn't open.

Thanks, britetchguy. IE11 is installed on the desktop but it won't open. I ran the SFC /scannow scan but it came up clean.

I couldn't find any IE11 download page at Microsoft.

I ran a pre-update system restore but it failed to restore and gave me the following message-

"failed to replace file c:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe" (0x80070003)

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:51 PM

If you are having issues with Internet Explorer loading or stability issues one good troubleshooting step is to start the program in 'Safe Mode'. This mode will turn off any program add-ons and some extensions not required for the basic running of the browser.

If the browser works fine in 'safe mode' try disabling add-ons or non-standard extensions to try and determine where the fault lies.

1. Open a 'Command Prompt' window

2. Type in "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

3. Press ENTER

2GvnEq2.gif

#8 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:09 AM

Started in Safe Mode and Internet Explorer ran fine.

Then re-booted normally and IE wouldn't run.

Then ran Internet Explorer in "Non-Add-Ons" Mode by bringing up the command prompt and keying in-

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

Then was able to start Internet Explorer in "Non-Add-Ons" Mode.

Went into "manage add-ons" and noted the following 4 categories of add-ons-

1. Toolbars & Extenstions

I have 3 add-ons here. I disabled all of them and rebooted in normal IE mode and IE still wouldn't run. So there is no issue with any of these 3 add-ons.

2. Search Providers

I have 3 search providers. 1 x Bing, 1 x Google default and 1 x Google. I disabled these 3 and rebooted in normal IE mode and IE still wouldn't run. So there is no issue with any of these 3.

3. Accelerators

I have 3 accelerators. I disabled these and rebooted in normal IE mode and IE still wouldn't run. So there is no issue with any of these.

4. Tracking Protection

Just the one item here - "Your Personalized List" which is already disabled so that can't be the issue.

So just to recap. IE11 runs fine when I run it in "non-add-ons" mode but still fails to run in normal mode after I have disabled all IE add-ons and rebooted normally. 

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

Have you selected show all add-ons option from Manage Add-ons applet.

QxCdJKx.png

Please follow the instructions at below website to reset Internet Explorer to its default settings.

Reset Internet Explorer Settings

2GvnEq2.gif

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

If resetting IE I would suggest running a Clean Boot to see if this is a third party program causing this.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option. 

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab. 

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list. 

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer. 

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services. 

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

Freebooter. Thanks for pointing out the additional add-ons. I disabled all of these but, sadly, IE11 still wouldn't open.

I reset IE11 to its default settings and deleted my personal settings, rebooted, but the problem remains.

#12 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

Bleeping Tree Hugger. Thank you for your suggestions. I shall work on these sometime over the weekend. (I've already created a system restore point in readiness just in case I do something terminal....)

#13 StupidComputer1206

StupidComputer1206

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

Hi PeterFoster,

I was having the exact issue you are having.  I solved the issue by trial & error.  I clicked on the Windows boxy icon on the very bottom left of my screen which pulls up all of the installed programs.  Then I found Internet Explorer on the list, right clicked on it, then left clicked on More.  That drops down another list so I clicked on Run as an Administrator.  I had to do this 2 times.  The first time, IE opened but nothing was working, so I gave it a minute or 2, closed it out & then repeated the process.  Seems to work Okay now.  It still won't open the normal way, but will if I do it as Administrator.  Maybe someone else can help us solve that issue.  Best of luck & Happy New Year!

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

Bleeping Tree Hugger. Thank you for your suggestions. I shall work on these sometime over the weekend. (I've already created a system restore point in readiness just in case I do something terminal....)

It's now Monday, I will wait for your post.

btw... my user name is dc3. :thumbup2:

#15 StupidComputer1206

StupidComputer1206

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Trusteer Rapport was causing IE11 to not open normally.  Could only open as administrator.  As soon as I uninstalled Trusteer Rapport, IE11 opens normally.

Edited by StupidComputer1206, 02 January 2018 - 10:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users