Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly restarting (Redux)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:57 AM

A while back, I made a thread on my old computer randomly restarting. What would happen is that I'd be using the computer, there'd be no particular triggers, whether it be internet browsing or playing a game, in which the computer would suddenly turn off and boot up again. I replaced the power supply from some CiT ATX 500W PSU to a B3 450W as suggested by someone. This worked for a while then 2 months later, the exact same thing happened again.

Eventually, I started using my Dad's computer which was based somewhere else rather than my room and that worked absolutely fine. I transferred his computer to my room and about a month later the exact same thing happened again. Rather than the computer being bought off a website, my Dad's was built over the summer.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 1400 (w/ Stock Cooler)

8GB DDR4 2133 RAM

GTX 750 Ti 2GB

CXM 450W PSU

128GB M.2. SSD

2TB P300 HDD

Windows 10 Home

Currently, I've run an Antivirus scan and done a memory test. Just some very basic things so not sure on that point but my suspicions point to the wall outlet in my room. Currently, there may be too many things connected into the wall outlet (PC, 2 x 1080p Monitors) although I find this unlikely. It's a strange situation as the computers which I've plugged into this outlet all do fine for a while then they start shutting down randomly after a time period without any warning. Here is a link to my previous thread https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/648976/random-restarting-psu/

The difference between my old computer and this one is the old one would shut down randomly whereas this one would shut down when the GPU and CPU were stressed. It's been stressed before in my room but there have never been any problems. Now, whenever I stress test both the CPU and GPU simultaneously, it shuts down after several minutes then reboots. Temperatures get to about 62C under load then stabilise there CPU wise and GPU gets to 66 - 67C so it doesn't look like an overheating issue.

Edited by Planemaster2, 25 December 2017 - 05:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:24 AM

Just to confirm, computer does restart under load with Prime95 stressing CPU and Heaven Benchmark stressing GPU. Temperatures were all sub 45C as it restarted almost immediately. Neither are overclocked.

Edited by Planemaster2, 25 December 2017 - 06:25 AM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:15 AM

Would appear to me the easiest thing to do would be move the system to another room in another part of the house and see if the behaviour follows it.  It sounds as if it's easy to replicate if it's just crashing soon after starting those load tests.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

Righ, I transferred it to another area (the same area where it had been before. I know that in this area it worked fine before) and performed the stress tests. It did the exact same thing and rebooted itself.

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:31 AM

CXM 450W PSU

Not the best of replacement PSUs I`m afraid, when working as they should they are ok for HTPC and office type comps, lot of complaints about fan issues as well if you read the three pages of reviews here

Can I ask what case you have and how many cooling fans.

Would suggest opening up the case and reseating the RAM and GPU, checking for dust and that all internal connections are secure then running a couple of programs to check the temps and voltages, they are only a guide but can help with identifying power or thermal issues, please note that a PSU itself can overheat internally and shut down.

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan from here and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

Screenshots attached.

How would I be able to tell whether the PSU is internally overheating?

Attached Files

• Attached File  SS.png   514.27KB   0 downloads

Edited by Planemaster2, 25 December 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#7 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

Nothing off the charts in either screenshot but would keep an eye on the +3.3V rail on the PSU as it is marginally high for a computer not under load.

Can I ask what case you have and how many cooling fans.

Can you answer this for us, want to check that you have a good;efficient cooling set up.

How would I be able to tell whether the PSU is internally overheating?

You can`t unfortunately, other than having the PSU professionally test using bench equipment you can only do the most basic of tests which is testing the PSU when it is not connected to the other hardware to see if it shuts down when left running, not really helpful as not being under load the PSU could potentially run all day without shutting down.

Is the PSU quiet when in use and when under load.

Would you mind if we had a look at your storage devices;

Check the HDD/SSD with CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.0 Standard Edition which you can download from here once done grab a screenshot (possibly two) of the results and attach to your next reply for us.

Right click This PC > Manage > Disk Management or;

Click Start Menu and then type Disk Management to search.
Click Start Menu and type cmd to open command line and then input compmgmt.msc and then click Enter.

Take and upload expanded screenshot/s for us if you will.

#8 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:23 PM

Sorry, forgot about the case question. It is a Fractal Design 2300. None of the 3 case fans have been replaced. When under load, I've never heard the PSU get any louder, just the fan quietly whirring away as always, perhaps a notch faster although that may be my own thinking. Screenshots uploaded although CrystalDiskInfo wouldn't detect my SSD, just the HDD.

Attached Files

• Attached File  SS.png   118.46KB   0 downloads

Edited by Planemaster2, 25 December 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#9 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

Good that the PSU does not get noisy.

Sorry but we do need expanded screenshots of Disk Manager as we cannot see all of the required info, the Toshiba HDD looks ok in CrystalDisk.

#10 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

I'm not too sure as to what you mean by expanded screenshots. I've attached another screenshot which I believe is expanded but could you elaborate if it isn't the expanded screenshot.

<script> </script>

Attached Files

• Attached File  SS.png   214.96KB   0 downloads

Edited by Planemaster2, 25 December 2017 - 12:43 PM.

#11 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

That`s it thanks  :thumbup2:

Twas something that I spotted in HWMonitor, you should not let the free storage space on an SSD go below 25% else it can affect performance, for info on SSD devices and free storage space see Seagate article on Over – Provisioning here

Your case has three 1200rpm fans but according to HWMonitor they are not running at that, do you have them on a fan controller.

Is the PSU fan facing into the case or towards the bottom of the case.

Would suggest opening up the case and reseating the RAM and GPU, checking for dust and that all internal connections are secure 

Pay particular attention to checking that the modular cables into the PSU itself and the main power connections to the MB are secure.

#12 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

I believe the fans are on a fan curve in the BIOS so they throttle according to the current temperature, I have't really touched the fan curves so I believe they are currently on their factory default. The PSU is facing downward in the case and the connections are seated. Pushed them in as hard as I felt safe and checked once over to make sure they went in as far as possible. The GPU and RAM is definitely seated correctly. With all these things checked over, I ran a load test to see if it made a difference and it restarted again.

Edited by Planemaster2, 25 December 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#13 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

The PSU is facing downward in the case

Your case has removable dust filters below the PSU, have you checked to make sure that they are not clogged.

Can I just make sure that the computer is not stood directly on a carpet.

I believe the fans are on a fan curve in the BIOS 

Can you tell us the model name and number of your motherboard so we can do some research, being an ASUS you most likely have the AI Suite software installed but if we could get all of your fans running at max to see if it still shut down it would go some way to ruling out overheating as the cause.

#14 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:35 PM

The computer is on the floor although its propped up on books to allow air to move beneath it and create a physic barrier between it and the carpet so thats all good. Dust filters are clean but I gave it a once over just to be sure.

The motherboard is an ASUS PRIME B350 Plus, there are options in the BIOS to adjust fan curves so Ill do those tomorrow morning and post my results.

Edited by Planemaster2, 25 December 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#15 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:19 AM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users