Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Picking the right video card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dartack

Dartack

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

Just got my new build running and now I want to pick out a compatible video card. It's going to be a gaming pc but I don't really care about graphics to much so long as it can handle the games okay.

Cpu- i7700k
Mobo- asus rog strix z270-e
Power supply is 550watt but I can always upgrade if the card needs more juice.

Any recommendations will be welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:21 AM

What monitor resolution?  And what is your budget?  By "don't really care about graphics" I'm guessing you mean you don't mind about high or ultra high detail settings and things like that?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Dartack

Dartack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

Screen Resolution 1400x1050
Budget 200 to 300
And nope I don't need to be able to count the individual blades of grass while hunting dragons.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

TBH a GTX 1050 Ti sounds like it might be a good all rounder, and it would be good at 1080p should you decide to change monitor.  The AMD RX 560 would also be a reasonable choice depending on price. It's a little less powerful than the GTX 1050 Ti (except on DX12 titles where it does relatively better).  Both of these should be well under your budget.  https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=380,395&sort=price&page=1

Note there are two versions of the RX 560 - the best one is the one with 1024 shaders.  

I don't really see the point of spending top end of budget on a GTX 1060 6 Gb or similar because at that resolution it's kind of excessive.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:58 AM

Monitor doesn't sound suitable for gaming. I would change it too.

Even RX460 is bit overkill for curent resolution. Unless you have already assembled your PC, I recommend getting something else than 7700K.

#6 Dartack

Dartack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

Not a fan of AMD so the GTX 1050 sounds good. Thanks.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

AMD does make good stuff though, right now is not a good time for them GPU wise though thanks to cryptomining and the lack of availability of Vega cards.

Processor wise AMD is awesome right now, Ryzen is very capable 

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users