Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP updates

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gringo9h

gringo9h

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

Just setup new hp desktop all in one comp. Should I agree to install hp updates ? Heard rumors that they are likely to cause problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

As a data point, I haven't had any issues with the HP updates on either of my new laptops (both less than 3 months old).

Who should know better than the people that made and shipped the original hardware what has been updated since that time and should be updated on existing hardware?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

my spin is they don't cause problems, they just aren't needed.

first job on any new PC I come across is to remove all factory installed software.

9 times out of 10, it falls into either crapware or bloatware categories.

there's nothing HP software does that a Windows service/process can't also handle.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

dropbear, you are mistaken.  The HP Support Assistant software is primarily serving up driver updates and you can choose to decline any addition or update to bloatware that you so choose (and I do).

I apply the vast majority of HP updates because they are driver updates, and always have been on the HP laptops I've owned.  The odd others get deleted from the update list if they're for something I've removed but get applied if they happen to be for something I use.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

for me, that all gets covered by Windows Updates.

You won't regret it.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

for me, that all gets covered by Windows Updates.

The overlap is not 100%, and I'd rather have the ones tweaked by my computer's maker for the hardware in question.

Neither one of us is wrong.  All I wanted to point out is that HP's own update mechanisms are not, by a long shot, centered on crapware or bloatware.

#7 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

completely agree, there is no right or wrong on this one, just personal preference.

you like HP keeping control as you see HP as the maker.

I see HP as just a badge, using others hardware and someone else's OS, so for me, it's the maker of the OS that should know best.

horses for courses and all that. :lol:

You won't regret it.

#8 gringo9h

gringo9h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:05 PM

Hey guys, thanks. I just wanted to get someone else's take on the subject.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

Hey guys, thanks. I just wanted to get someone else's take on the subject.

Definitely a subject that can always be thrown around a little to get everyone's point of view.

I go with "If it ain't broke" philosophy.  I don't accept any HP Stuff on Setup, but you can always change that later.  Some stuff/Updating Software etc., I uninstall if it is intrusive, but the only way to know what's intrusive is experience and testing.  In most cases you don't need to latest drivers, but the HP Driver Update Software is nice in that it tells you that there are new drivers available, and then you can do your research on what they are needed for and if they have caused anyone problems.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 gringo9h

gringo9h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

PCpunk, I too have been taught " if ain't broke, don't fix it". Think I will go with that on my set up. Thanks.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

I, too, have traditionally been of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy when it comes to both BIOS/UEFI and drivers.

That, however, has changed with the advent of Windows 10, which has been far more picky about drivers than earlier versions of WIndows and because many BIOS/UEFI updates have security as at least part of the reason for the update.

As time and circumstances have changed, so have I.

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

Personally I tend to disable these sort of manufacturer's processes and services so they don't run automatically, HP support assistant is a very clear example of such a thing. You might at some point need them, and with some of the things that have been revealed about vulnerabilities in drivers of certain HP machines it could pay to update certain drivers, you can check if you are affected by looking at various lists on HP's website. But most of the time you will not want them running in the background, so disabling the service until you decide you need it is a sensble thing to do. Having such services set so they won't run automatically stops things like the installation of "HP touchpoint manager" (in November there was a scandal when HP sent this to a lot of computers and it REALLY slowed them down along with performing telemetry tasks that users would likely find unwelcome), as more or less anything HP wants to install will come via support assistant or some of HPs other background services. I keep things like support assistant and some of HPs other background services disabled (and haven't had touchpoint or other such things installed as a result of this) but present incase I might need to deliberately and manually use them at some point.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

Personally I tend to disable these sort of manufacturer's processes and services so they don't run automatically, HP support assistant is a very clear example of such a thing. You might at some point need them, and with some of the things that have been revealed about vulnerabilities in drivers of certain HP machines it could pay to update certain drivers, you can check if you are affected by looking at various lists on HP's website. But most of the time you will not want them running in the background, so disabling the service until you decide you need it is a sensble thing to do.

+1 on this. I don't un-install, just disable and check on updates manually.

Just brought the wife (Mrs. Smartypants) a beast of a laptop, which happens to be a HP (I tried to steer her towards the Dell but she wasn't having it :wink:) and, of course, first couple of go rounds involved checking for Updates both on the Windows side as well as HP. Once the HP was updated, I disabled the Auto-Check and simple make it part of her maintenance to check for HP updates every now and then.

And, of course, check Bleeping for anything else her L/T might need.

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users