Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm about to try running a Proxy on my windows 7 PC for my PS4 any advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 20GT

20GT

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

Hi I'm a complete noob and I'm about to try this solution my PS4. My windows computer and PS4 are both getting internet wirelessly from my routers basic setup will I need more? or does it sound like it will work.

any advice would be great.
I pre-posted this because nothing is ever easy and I expect problems :(

1. Download and Install CCProxy on your computer.

2. Run CCProxy, hit options, get the IP and Port number (I believe HTTP, usually like 808).

3. On your PS4, set up your network, select custom, hit auto for everything until you reach Proxy. Put in the IP and port number you got from CCProxy.

4. Profit.

taken from 

of course it didn't work, what do I have to do to get this to work?
and how can i test it with my phone if possible,
because every time I try on the PS4 it restarts their download :(

Edited by 20GT, 24 December 2017 - 03:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

Dumb question.  Why do you want to do this?

I think the problem you're most likely having is that the PC would need to have two wireless cards, one for the PS4 connection and one for the router connection.

#3 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

I read through the very long and interesting reddit post.

Regarding CCproxy, what the user doesn't mention is how they connected the PS4 to their computer. (Blindly pressing auto does not always work.)

Could you kindly clarify what you mean by testing it with your phone? Your phone usually has nothing to do with this....

Just to clarify how a proxy server works...

29gh0uw.jpg

A proxy server sits between your computer and a destination.
In this case the proxy server is installed on your computer and and ideally would have the PS4 connect to it.

So if your PS4 wants to download something, it sends the request to the proxy server on your computer.
The proxy server in turn sends this download request to Sony's download servers. 

So, for your setup to work you need to make sure your Playstation 4 is properly connected to the proxy server on your computer. (As you had explained in your initial post.)

When you connect your PS4 to your Router, you are not connecting it to your computer's proxy, which is why it isn't working.

Usually, to get this to work, your computer would need a Network Interface Port, which would allow you to connect your PS4 directly to the computer. (You will also need to turn off your PS4's wireless.)

So your PS4 would connect to the computer, which in turn uses the proxy server to connect to the internet and Sony's download servers.

ethernet_port.jpg

There may be another way of doing this with CCProxy, since I see a section in their documentation which mentions "sharing an Internet connection", but it will require a bit of reading and research.

In other words, this may not be a simple solution to increasing the download speed of your PS4, but hopefully this helps you understand the process a bit.

#4 helengrin

helengrin

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

The problem can be caused by proxy. I use mini proxy on my windows 7 pc and everything works fine. It has unlimited traffic and high connection speed. Try to change your proxy server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users