Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free PC/OpenSystems linspire 7.0 for Christmas

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

This link is only good for today and tomorrow. Happy holidays from Linux;

http://www.pc-opensystems.com/2017/12/merry-christmas-from-pcopensystems-llc.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

Thank you Rocky. This looks interesting, so I'm downloading it.

#3 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

I also think this looks interesting, thanks for sharing!

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

DistroWatch.com: Linspire

Says it was discontinued in 2008....The Discontinued status is reserved for projects which are no longer being developed. There is no outward activity and no roadmap for new releases. Projects which no longer have websites will also be marked as discontinued.

Yet, info in Rocky's link says it has been upgraded to 7.0...6.0 existed a decade ago.

Distro Watch says Linspire was acquired by Xandros Inc. in July 2008 and discontinued as a Linux distribution shortly afterwards.

That company offering the free download appears to be one that repairs old computers and then installs Linspire on them.

I don't see anything special being mentioned about Linspire and would have to question how it would be a better choice than

Ubuntu which Distro says it is based on. QUOTE: (based on Debian GNU/Linux and Ubuntu) UNQUOTE

If anyone more daring than I gives this a whirl....be sure to comment.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

It uses kernel 4.1, so must have been updated relatively recently. :)

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:37 AM

I'll give this one another try, as buddy215 was saying, back when I was still distro hopping in late 2008/early 2009, Freespire (released by Linspire) was an abandoned distro after much promise was announced, to include the right to use proprietary software, multimedia codecs & drivers. Not even it's Forum users nor Staff knew what was going on, were left hung to dry, no announcement, no anything. :(

https://web.archive.org/web/20090703164222/http://wiki.freespire.org:80/index.php/About_Freespire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freespire

While I'll give it a shot as stated, will also be cautious, it's going to be hard for long term Linux users to have any faith in Linspire until they prove their worth, that this time, here to stay, and keep it's users up to date on developments & not in the dark. The last time the distro was on the market, that was crappy how it's users were done, no distro should leave it's users unannounced. Even a 72 hour notice, explaining that they were financially broken would had been far more digestible than the stunt that was pulled off. 

I simply wanted to try the distro when new to Linux, was included in an outdated 5 CD pack purchased on eBay for $10 when I knew no better, maybe luck will be with us this time. Speaking of which, at the time, most distros were still shipped on CD's, or the downloaded ISO would burn to one. Not anymore, most are twice the size. :)

Regardless, it's going to be hard for Linspire (even if a different maintainer) to shake off the Freespire scandal, especially those who have been running Linux for a decade or longer, my experience was after the house crumbled. Maybe someone who has been around can fill us in with more details of what went down. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:18 AM

Ok so why is this different to Linux insert distro?

x4JASzX.png

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

Well, the wallpaper is most certainly different, don't know what's under the hood. :)

That gadget to the right looks (sort of) identical to the latest Parted Magic purchased, needed to secure erase NVMe SSD's, only less details. Will have to create a bootable USB stick of the ISO downloaded & see what differences there are in Live mode. At first glance, looks to be another Ubuntu based distro with the Xfce DE. 

The one major feature I see is on the page that Rocky linked. :)

• Proprietary multimedia codecs - FULLY LICENSED 

Now that would be cool indeed, Linux Mint plays audio in analog only, despite the fact on most of my computers, have a digital connection from GPU or if using a DVI-D monitor, the audio output from MB, which is also digital. I'd notice fast with VLC with my headphones, can easily spot the difference between the two. This will be very interesting to try out, had I noticed this sooner, would had already took for a spin and possibly installed instead of Mint Cinnamon. :thumbup2:

If indeed digital, Linspire will be installed on one of my computers, have a a few to choose from, a notebook & various PC's. 

Thanks Rocky! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

That gadget to the right looks (sort of) identical to the latest Parted Magic purchased,

What gadget?

Well, the wallpaper is most certainly different

I downloaded the wallpaper, To me wallpaper that comes with a distro  means nothing,

Link to wallpaper.

https://free4kwallpapers.com/uploads/originals/2015/09/25/dark-red-backgrounds.jpg

Other than paid support which you can also get in Ubuntu, My question still remains why is this distro any better that the ones already out there?

Edited by NickAu, 26 December 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:43 AM

Other than paid support which you can also get in Ubuntu, My question still remains why is this distro any better that the ones already out there?

Nick, I posted it above & here it is again, still need to try this out. 

• Proprietary multimedia codecs - FULLY LICENSED 

Ubuntu's open source analog audio drivers aren't the best (maybe Canonical includes to business users who pays), and their open source AMD/ATI graphics are terrible, why I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 on some systems rather than 18.3, someone can do better. Especially given there's lots of AMD powered computers running free Ubuntu based distros. :(

What gadget?

The one in the upper right corner with PC stats, unless you installed that also. About half of what's included in a $11 Parted Magic ISO that can also be used to make secure transactions, once burned to DVD & Firefox is updated, session runs in RAM only. 

Linspire may well be a case of 'you get what you pay for' & letting us get a taste of a customized Linux done right, obviously backed by a 1st class outfit that caters to professionals. I'd gladly pay the low cost for well created distro. 

A question we get asked frequently is , Why PC/OpenSystems LLC? Why not Red Hat, Oracle or SUSE? 

The answer is very simple : PCOS is a one-stop-shop; the rest other companies listed offer piecemeal solutions. Dealing with us, you get the OS, hardware and software all in one place. Many enterprises want a single point of contact for support, without having to contact separate vendors for hardware and software issues.

http://www.pc-opensystems.com/p/why-pcopensystems-llc.html

Finally, am proud of these folks & it's great knowing that yet another Linux startup is in the capital of my home state. Peppermint Linux also began in the North Carolina mountains, then it's original leaders drifted away & now distro maintained in the UK, it's co-founders are at the bottom of the page (2nd link) while here. Along with FatDog64 (a teaching distro from University of North Carolina), created & maintained 30 minutes away from me, this makes three Linux startups from our beautiful state. :)

http://www.pc-opensystems.com/p/webstore.html

https://peppermintos.com/about/

Should I live to see the next 12-14 hours, Linspire is going to be installed on some computer, obviously one with digital audio output. Have a MSI FX603 notebook with Linux Mint 18 (forget the point release) that's underperformed, although at least all 4 speakers works in analog mode, would be great to hear in digital instead of muddy analog, which it wasn't designed for, rather performance for it's class at time of release (early 2011). I upgraded the CPU to the best available in the i7-640M a year or so back. :thumbsup:

Link to wallpaper.

https://free4kwallpapers.com/uploads/originals/2015/09/25/dark-red-backgrounds.jpg

Thanks for the wallpaper, will install on one of my Linux Mint distros! :)

Being that Linspire was free during the period listed in link by Rocky, whom we know as one who appreciates the fine details, it's well worth a shot with an open mind. I don't believe that he would recommend Linspire, nor bother with creating the Topic if no good. :thumbup2:

It's also noteworthy that unlike many other Linux system builders, the offerings by PC/OpenSystems LLC gives a lot of bang for one's money, backed by an industry leading 4 year warranty included in price, as well as monitor. Neither Apple nor Microsoft (nor their partners) extends such a gracious warranty, would cost over $150 minimum & that would be with a 3rd party issuer such as SquareTrade. If it were a major OEM warranty, 4 years coverage could be the price of the first PC alone. 

http://www.pc-opensystems.com/p/commercial-hardware.html

Supported Operating Systems

While our systems do ship with the Black Lab Enterprise Linux Operating System our hardware is compatible with other Operating Systems These systems have been tested and certified with the following Oracle Linux,  SUSE Enterprise Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux,  Xinous OpenServer X,  Microsoft Windows 7 8 or 10 Microsoft Windows Server 2012 2016.  Community based distributions such as Fedora Linux, ARCH Linux, Linux Mint and Ubuntu Linux may work but are unsupported.

This means that while community based (or most Linux distros as most of us knows) are unsupported on their hardware, install at one's risk. Being they're standing behind what they sell, PC/OpenSystems LLC reserves the right to terminate warranty or deny claims for installing unsupported OS's. This policy also applies to most all out of the box computers by the big name OEM's, only they include some big name professional Linux distros (other than Pro/Enterprise Ubuntu based), along with Windows 7 through 10 (use caution with the latter OS), and ships with their own proprietary distro in Black Lab Enterprise OS. Who could ask for more for the price, unlike System76 & other Linux OEM's, aren't charging Apple prices for middle of the road hardware. :)

Cat

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:30 AM

Q)  Linspire Inc. and Freespire were very controversial products.  With Richard Stallman calling Linspire and people who use Linspire as "subjecting themselves to new masters" How do you plan to differentiate from Linspire's legacy and can you make it a trusted name?

I agree with the first sentence here, as stated prior, among my first distros tested while finding a 'home' in the World of Linux was Freespire, was marked by controversy. Kudos to PC/OpenSystems for taking on the brand, while too early to call a success, it's not yet a failure. :)

What I don't agree with, is RMS sticking his nose into everything. Sure, Linux was meant to be free, on the other hand, he has an office in Boston with employees earning middle class income & benefits for my neck of the woods (may be a lower standard for that area). If he feels that way, should recruit interns from universities for the jobs, who are eager to prove themselves, rather than pay out this cash at whose :question: expense. While I respect RMS for some of what he's done for the open source community, it can't be forgotten that he couldn't create a bootloader for his own distro, which Linus Torvalds did, therefore getting the credit for all. RMS should continue what he's best at, racking up degrees left & right, and settle into his position as a FOSS ambassador crusading the World for his beliefs, rather than telling upstarts to be 'purists'. That's much of the reason why Linux computers aren't on retail shelves with low market share. :thumbdown:

But until users can go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy and buy ANY system and install a FSF sponsored distro and have everything work out-of-box then we need to do everything possible to make sure it does work

http://www.pc-opensystems.com/

This is what I've openly stated for years, Linux powered computers needs to be distributed in mass numbers at Walmart in particular to be very successful & have lots of room for future growth. Best Buy wouldn't be a good second option, if like with all other computers, jacking up pricing, pushing Linux out of the market. No need to charge i7 system prices for i5 powered computers, Best Buy was charging more for the middle of the road i5 & 8GB RAM ($749) than I paid for the same series (XPS 8700) with an i7-4770 & 12GB RAM at $699 at Costco (another potential market). They would run Linux powered desktops out of business at launch, based on their historical pricing, along with aggressive 3rd party useless warranty sales, employees who doesn't meet their 'quotas' are often fired. Best Buy is also known for charging high for these warranties with more fine print than a Windows EULA & then turn around when a claim is filed, find an excuse to tack on an extra $150, because their 'Geek Squad' cannot repair & must outsource, or return to the OEM, which provides this protection at no charge, other than shipping. Many customers are often refunded this extra charge if they push the issue by pressure from the OEM, am surprised this doesn't violate US consumer laws. 

Therefore, I believe Walmart would be the best option for Linux to be distributed to the masses, w/out a Windows license embedded in the UEFI, in notebooks with 2.5" HDD/SSD or PC's with 3.5" HDD/SSD, skip the eMMC garb. Linux distros are different from Chromebooks, most all of the large OEM's has some form of a Linux computer in the business section. These should be featured computers on retail shelves, even if it takes an alternative OEM to pull the trigger. Walmart's door is always open to vendors of all types, it's a matter of getting a few models at the right price & be able to meet supply demands, which can be costly for a startup. although could be done in test markets first, to get a feel for the market, secondly raise capital for a mass market rollout. If there's profit to be made, Walmart wants in. So does Amazon, another lucrative growing market, now a huge threat to all retailers. 

Until Linux powered computers hits the large markets, the smaller OEM's are slowly meeting demand & creating solutions for most any setting, be it large corporations, all sizes of businesses, as well as Home users. It's just that some are pricing Linux out of the market, these OEM's should be looking at the sinking sales of Apple computers, which doesn't account for 15% of their sales. Their cash cow is now apps, even their once lucrative smartphone market has lots of competition.

So we'll just have to see what lays ahead for the future, as it applies to Linux computer sales. PC/OpenSystems LLC's effort is better than much of their competitors & should be given a fair shake. :)

In the meantime, will try Linspire on a couple of computers & see how it goes. 

Cat

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,187 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

I tried installing this operating system, but its (ubiquity) installer crashed towards the end of installation. I don't recall that having happened before.

Nick, I posted it above & here it is again, still need to try this out.

Proprietary multimedia codecs - FULLY LICENSED

I think this refers to the "Ubuntu restricted extras," that you check a box to install on Ubuntu and Mint etc. It's the same on Linspire.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

Am I mistaken or isn't the "gadget" in Nick's image conky?

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

Am I mistaken or isn't the "gadget" in Nick's image conky?

You are correct it is Conky.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

Well, the Conky in Parted Magic must have a lot more configuration, as a lot more machine stats are displayed in real time. Of course, it's configurable to the need of the user or taste of the developer who creates the distro, of which Parted Magic is one to meet a specific need. :)

OK, on with the show.......while Linspire may appeal to some, once I updated, still in Live Mode, of which am also typing this post on, looks like WINE is installed, a deal killer for me. Most regulars here knows how I feel about WINE, once went on a rampage after getting duped into installing Pipelight to have support for Netflix, had to unhide the files in /home to hand pluck every morsel & then ran 'sudo apt autoclean' afterwards. :P

Here's the pic that shows WINE is installed, for those who doesn't want it, no need to explore further.

mHtPnHz.png

Plus has the same old 4.0 analog output as Linux Mint, there went my hopes for a true digital Linux audio experience. :(

4XSdaxT.png

Now I see why Nick stated 'what's the difference', while there are some, not everyone will be pleased. Those who values their security will shy away from WINE fast, on the other hand, for those who wants to take the risk, there's a few bundled extras, Skype being the first noticed, VirtualBox completely installed, Synergy (a usual paid for app to share a single keyboard/mouse across computers), NitroShare, Chromium rather than the usual Firefox (a refreshing change within itself) & other goodies, some that ships with Xfce distros. :)

My final thoughts and am bowing out, while Linspire likely had to cross the line to stand out (the inclusion of WINE), and I appreciate their efforts to put forth a quality distro, it's simply not for me. If I want to run Windows, have several W7, 8.1 & 10 OS's at my disposal, nor do I desire to run Linux on W10 as some does. The risk of cross infection is present in either option. I do believe that PC/OpenSystems is on the right track towards making more users aware of Linux, Linspire isn't the only distro they ship, nor their featured one. If they could break the barrier to include true digital audio to Linux (as I had hoped for), would had been a positive step, I could had purged WINE if so. Otherwise, Linspire has a lot more than the old Freespire distro, and likely will grow, as to how much, only time will tell.

Rocky, thanks again, am sure that some will appreciate & enjoy Linspire. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 27 December 2017 - 07:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users