Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely slow laptop w/ corrupted files

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Jis000

Jis000

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hi everybody,

I'm already working on this problem for a month now, I posted my original problem in another forum on this website. The helper and I couldn't figure out what the key to the problem was. 

My laptop takes a really long time to boot and clicking apps/start menu/anything really results into waiting for approx. 2 mins before the laptop responds. CPU and Disk Usage are continuously very high (90-100%) and the SFC scan found corrupted files but wasn't able to fix them, even after one of the helpers here advised me on what steps to take.

The link to my topic in which I was offered help in the first place, is this:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/663685/extremely-slow-laptop-with-randoms-hangs/

I really hope someone can help me figure this out. Enjoy the holidays, merry christmas!

Regards,

Jis000

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

Do you have the option to do a clean install of Windows 10. This would require you to reinstall all your programs. 

What version of Windows 10 are you currently at? Type winver in your search box.

If you are still running avast uninstall it. How does the computer run with avast uninstalled? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 December 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#3 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

CPU lag could easily be explained away because of your Celeron 1.6GHz processor, trying to run Win10.

Disk lag could potentially be due to hard drive failure, supported by file corruption and drive's age.

for no cost, except time, a fresh Windows install will determine the way forward, it'll either all be good, or time for a new drive, or maybe new PC.

if money is tight, and a new drive is the path to take, upgrading to a SSD will give new life to that slow processor.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:16 PM

Testing the hard drive is paramount.

Run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-diagnostics-ssd-test.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

Hi, John, :)

Just to let you know we already tested the hard drive in the other thread with SeaTools... it passed. :)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 Jis000

Jis000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

Hi everybody,

I'll try to do a clean install of Windows 10. I wish it wouldn't be necessary, but I feel like this is the only option left. Time to back-up my files once more and do the full re-install!

(if you guys don't know any other way!)

regards,

Jis000

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

How long does the computer boot doing a Clean Boot. Did you try uninstalling avast?

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 December 2017 - 08:38 AM.

#8 Bat.1

Bat.1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

I'd advise a Fresh Install of 32 Bit Windows versus the 64 Bit you're running. Just go with MSE as your anti-virus as previously posted, and then see what'll happen.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

I'd advise a Fresh Install of 32 Bit Windows versus the 64 Bit you're running. Just go with MSE as your anti-virus as previously posted, and then see what'll happen.

This makes no sense.  Changing from a 64-bit operating system to a 32-bit operating system will not resolve this.  Just a reminder... this is the Windows 10 forum, Windows 10 doesn't include Microsoft Security Essentials, it uses Windows Defender.  Windows 7 was the last operating system that included the MSE.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Bat.1

Bat.1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

I'll just log out and out even bother

#11 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:32 PM

This makes no sense.  Changing from a 64-bit operating system to a 32-bit operating system will not resolve this.  Just a reminder... this is the Windows 10 forum, Windows 10 doesn't include Microsoft Security Essentials, it uses Windows Defender.  Windows 7 was the last operating system that included the MSE.

I agree - stay with Windows 10 x64 version.
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#12 Jis000

Jis000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:33 AM

Hi everybody, 

Thanks for all of your replies!

@JohnC_21 I uninstalled Avast antivirus, but it didn't make any difference. Not only during boot my laptop is slow, but (as you can read in the original topic) also while trying to run a single program or internet, it takes over a minute before the laptop responds. The thing is: this isn't constantly. It happens every 30 mins or so. Then the laptop seems to 'crash' and starts to take ages before it executes tasks (for example, even trying to open the 'Search box' and type something takes over a minute. Typing a single character keeps me waiting for more than half a minute before it actually appears).

I tried a clean boot, booting itself took under a minute (which also is the case in normal boot mode), but logging in and waiting for the laptop to become 'usable' took 5 minutes. In that time I tried to run Chrome once, but as expected, nothing happened. Chrome opened after those 5 minutes. It didn't show any difference from a normal boot.

I'm now saving programs and backed up my files once again. Unless you guys don't have anything else I could try, I'll do a full reinstall of Windows 10 (64-bit  :wink: ) tomorrow or Friday.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

A clean boot hides the Windows services and disables all third party services.  At that point the computer should be restarted.

If the problem is related to a third party service the computer should restart without any problems. 

If problems persists it is possible that a startup program is causing this.  Follow the instructions to access the startup programs in the Task Manager and disable these one at a time, restart the computer to see if the problem persists.

If the problem stops after disabling the third party services you have a problem with one of the services.  You will need to add checks to half of the services and restart the problem.  If problems reoccur they will be in the services which you added the check marks to.  Divide these in half and restart the computer.  This is a process of elimination to find which service is causing the problem, just keep reducing the number of services until you find the culprit.

If this is a startup program do the same process of elimination.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 Jis000

Jis000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:53 AM

A clean boot hides the Windows services and disables all third party services.  At that point the computer should be restarted.

If the problem is related to a third party service the computer should restart without any problems. 

If problems persists it is possible that a startup program is causing this.  Follow the instructions to access the startup programs in the Task Manager and disable these one at a time, restart the computer to see if the problem persists.

If the problem stops after disabling the third party services you have a problem with one of the services.  You will need to add checks to half of the services and restart the problem.  If problems reoccur they will be in the services which you added the check marks to.  Divide these in half and restart the computer.  This is a process of elimination to find which service is causing the problem, just keep reducing the number of services until you find the culprit.

If this is a startup program do the same process of elimination.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

Hi,

I tried the clean boot, as I said earlier, but it doesn't make a difference! In your post you say that if it does make a difference, I need to check/uncheck several services and perform the boot until I find the service that causes the problem. (I timed the time from logon till opening this webpage; 4,5 mins. Is that normal? In my memory, it wasn't always this slow...)

Now that disabling services and startup don't seem to make a difference, is there anything else I can do? 

Regards,

Jis000

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

If you can boot into Windows please do the following.

How to run a Windows 10 Reset.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security

O7p5cKL.png

Then Recovery, and Get Started.

VoWZmo6.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users