Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Desktop win 10 shut down then won't reboot windows

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chucksno

chucksno

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

Good Morning,

My desktop PC (2 year old dell i7) was running fine and I did a shut down.  When booting back up it will not get passed the Dell boot up screen. Your PC did not start correctly. It comes up to the message Diagnosing your PC, followed by startup repair couldn't repair your PC with options.  Going through these options seemed to come back to the same screens time and time again.

The PC seemed to have no issues prior to shutdown.  I run Norton and malware and don't believe I had any of these issues?  Again the PC seemed to be operating correctly. 

The holiday isn't as Merry right now :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,824 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

If you can get to the Advanced Boot Options using this method and a Restore Point is availabe do a System Repair. 

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#3 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

Hi JohnC

Though the Dell menu I was able to get at system restore however when going there I received the message:  No restore point have been created on your computers system drive.  To create a restore point open system protection.  Clicking on it indicates its only available in online operating system.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,824 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

That's unfortunate as it means System Restore was not enabled. You could do a reset with the option to keep your files but all your programs including all your purchased programs like Office would need to be reinstalled. 

If the registry hives in Regback have a date before the problem that may get the computer to boot but to do this you would need to burn a live linux distro to a DVD or USB flash drive. I would use Mint Cinnamon for this. If the computer was and upgrade from Windows 8 then you would need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings before you can boot Mint. Using Mint you at least allow you to browse the internet and check your email on the computer that does not boot. When booting Mint do not input anything until your are at the desktop. If you have Wifi and the adapter drivers are in the kernel you will see a notice of available Wifi.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

Copying the registry hives from Regback can also be done using the Windows 10 install media but requires you to use the command prompt. See the below video. If the file dates in the Regback folder is after the problem occured it will not be worth doing. You can create a bootable DVD or USB of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool on another computer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=2f-GorXWkoc

Do you have access to another computer or are you posting from a phone?

Edit: You do not need a Windows 10 install disk if you can access the command prompt using the Advanced Boot Options.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 December 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#5 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hi John,

I will take a look at this. I am working from my working laptop.  I have to leave soon but to start if I follow the video on youtube link would that be a good start?  I am not sure why I don't have a restore point...yikes

Thanks so much for all your help and I apologize in advance that with current obligations I have I will not be prompt at times.  Again thank you.  Chuck

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,824 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

No problem,

Another thing to take a look at is the DISM command.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

#7 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

Hi John,

I went through the Youtube video and then tried on the DISM with no luck.  See results attached of DISM.  Unless I am doing something incorrect...thx again!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,824 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

This may be a case where you will need to do a reset with the option to keep your files and then reinstall all your programs. To avoid a situation like this in the future I would advise you create a complete disk image on a regular basis, i.e. after each monthly update using one of the following programs. All allow you to create a bootable DVD/CD or USB flash drive that would allow you to restore the image should the computer no longer boot because of file system corruption, malware, or a failed drive. On a failed drive you would replace the drive, boot the recovery media, and restore the image. No need to partition or format the new drive.

They also allow you to mount the image as a virtual drive on any computer that has the program installed. This would let you recover any file out of the image and copy it to a USB flash drive.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Easeus and Aomei also allow for file/folder backups on a schedule with Easeus being the easiest to use out of the three.

I don't see any attachment. Did you run DISM from the command prompt using the Advanced Boot Options and not from the install disk?

#9 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

Hi John,

So I did do a reset with the option to keep files.  It seemed to work and I am now working on reinstalling items.  I would now like to be more proactive for the future.  Do you have time to make some recommendations?  Like first how do I create a restore point as it appears I did not have one last time? 2) create a complete disk image on a regular basis?  what program would you recommend and is there a detailed step list I can follow?  Also what happened to cause my issue in the first place in your opinion?  I simply shut off the computer and had that problem?  thanks again John for all your help!

Chuck

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,824 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:21 AM

In regards to the System Restore you can enable it in Windows 10. Set aside enough disk space for the restore points.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10

I would recommend a new disk image depending on what was updated. Creating a disk image before each  Monthly Windows Update  on the second Tuesday or Major Windows 10 upgrade would be a good idea and also after installing a number of programs.  

I linked to the programs you can use to create the disk image. I would recommend Easeus Todo Backup. It also allows you to do file and folder backups on a regular schedule. Besides complete backups it also allow you do to incremental and differential backups. This is explained on the website and help pages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users